Canada Kicks Ass
Again, Gun Control!

1  2  3  4  Next

Gonzo @ Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:06 pm

Police sniper ends armed standoff in downtown Toronto
Last Updated Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:35:53 EDT
TORONTO - Police in Toronto shot and killed a man who was holding a woman hostage outside Toronto's Union Station on Wednesday morning.

RELATED: Coverage from CBC Toronto

Police lead the hostage away from the scene. (CP Photo)
The 45-year-old man, armed with a gun, took a woman hostage outside the train station.

Minutes earlier, the gunman had attacked his wife in a nearby food court. She was taken to hospital, but her injuries were not serious and she was expected to be released later Wednesday.

A foot chase with police led to the standoff outside the train station, which lasted for about half an hour before police shot and killed the man about 8:50 a.m.

The hostage-taker was reportedly agitated and moving erratically before he was hit by a single shot to the head from a police sharpshooter.

"Efforts to negotiate or to elicit a response did not work out," Toronto Police Chief Julian Fantino said.

Fantino told reporters the man had pointed his gun at police and at the hostage.

Police and Emergency Task Force officers surround the man holding a woman at gunpoint in front of Toronto's Union Station. (CP Photo)
"At this point in time, one of our (Emergency Task Force) officers, fearing for the situation to escalate ... responded as he is trained to do and fired in the direction of the suspect and the suspect was struck."

The man fell to the pavement, and the hostage ran toward police. She was apparently unharmed.

Police quickly swarmed the fallen man and covered him with a sheet.

Police had cordoned off an area in front of the downtown transportation hub as thousands of commuters streamed off trains during the morning rush hour.

Written by CBC

DMP08 @ Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:40 pm

If this article is all about you being for gun control...partially I agree. I do not think that could have been stopped if the man had registered his gun as the gv. wants him to.

Ralph @ Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:33 pm

While we are at it lets have knife control
KNIFES DON'T KILL PEOPLE ,PEOPLE DO

Rev_Blair @ Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:37 pm

I don't know for sure, but I'm betting this guy wasn't walking around with a deer rifle. That's the problem...we need gun control but we don't need this piece of crap we have now.

Rumour has it that if I have $500, I can buy a used handgun at several bars in Winnipeg. If I have $1000 I can get a new one. That's the real problem.

Gonzo @ Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:17 pm

I agree that we need better gun control. What we have now doesn't work. But as soon as you mention "gun control" people start screaming and yelling. Maybe we need psycho control.

QBC @ Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:34 pm

The problem with gun control is it targets the wrong people. It isn't designed to stop criminals. This stupid registry can't stop crime with firearms. Plus the fact almost all the provincial governments, who take care of the courts in each province, have said they will not waste millions of dollars to prosecute those who do not register their guns. I personally do not have any restricted or banned firearms, but I have refused to register any of my guns. I got my FAC when it first came out many years ago and all my guns were purchased using it so they already have all my firearm information, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay them to give it all to them again. Stupid law.

DMP08 @ Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:18 pm

Gonzo Gonzo:
I agree that we need better gun control. What we have now doesn't work. But as soon as you mention "gun control" people start screaming and yelling. Maybe we need psycho control.

Great point. But I don't think this sh*t will stop anytime soon. While Canada is becoming US's biggest supplier of softwood and marajuana. The US is becoming the worlds biggest supplier of illegal firearms. How are these people getting all the handguns across the border?

Gonzo @ Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:27 pm

Maybe Canada needs to tighten it's security along the boarder. Americans think terrorists are coming from Canada to their country, but perhaps weapons of mass destruction are coming to Canada from the US.
Guns need to be controled in some way, without hurting responsible people. But I dont think it's all that bad if the police know who owns weapons and who doesn't. Maybe I dont know all the details, but whats so bad about registering your firearms?

DMP08 @ Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:34 pm

Is a criminal REALLY going to register an illegal handgun though?

Rev_Blair @ Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:14 pm

Nope, the criminal is not going to do that. The problem needs to be stopped at the source...either the US needs to get it's supply of small arms under control so they quit finding their way across our border, or we have to institute some very tough measures at the border.

Since the US constitution guarantees the right to bear arms, even the most well-meaning US government is unlikely to be able to control the supply. That leaves it up to us.

Zenfisher @ Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:16 am

I think a better plan might be to control and regulate the purchase of bullets and devices used in the manufacture of bullets and shells.

Gonzo @ Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:39 pm

What is the big deal about registering your gun? People register there DVD's! If everyone registered there guns it would be easier to know where they came from. I dont think it's a big deal. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

DMP08 @ Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:07 pm

Gonzo Gonzo:
What is the big deal about registering your gun? People register there DVD's! If everyone registered there guns it would be easier to know where they came from. I dont think it's a big deal. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

One problem, criminals don't register their illegal guns

Gonzo @ Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:26 pm

But if every gun that is sold is registered, then wouldn't it be easier to track where they came from?

1  2  3  4  Next