Canada Kicks Ass
EI changes won't 'force people to go to Alberta'

Previous  1  2  3  Next

andyt @ Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:45 am

$1:
EI sickness benefits can be paid for a maximum period of 15 weeks, depending on how long you are unable to work.

How I understand it, if you've lost your job because of the medical issue, you would then be able to collect regular EI for some time longer. But if your employer has your job waiting for you, but you are too sick to take it, then you get nothing after 15 weeks.

Wada @ Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:14 pm

I understand. What they tend to not mention is that every decision on your clain can be challenged before a board of inquiry. He/she could have gone before the board, explained that their doctor said no work while...and had they needed another say five weeks chances are they would have gotten it. The government works in mysterious ways as any honest government worker will tell you.

Brenda @ Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Just wondering, what happens if you, due to sickness, accident or whatever, cannot do your job anymore?
What if you are a truck driver, and you loose an eye? Or when a welder looses a hand?

Why couldn't Andy's friend go on disability for the time he was unable to work due to his serious illness? And, how much would that be?

Wada @ Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:32 pm

First question: Someone would file an employment claim and call workman's comp. too.
Your examples are all different and are dealt with differently.
Sickness is generally handled much like an insurance company in that they have tables for each sickness and the average time needed for therapy. So if you have a bypass and the table says 8 weeks then that is what you get. If there are complcations then you can approach the board of inquiry and ask for more benefits, it's then up to them to give more or say no. Accidents are much the same but if on the job then workman's comp enters into the fray. :)
I'm not sure about disability and if most provinces are like mine then disability is welfare.

Gunnair @ Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Dee2012 Dee2012:
andyt andyt:
A positive thing they could do is help people move to Alberta. Match people with jobs before they move out, and make sure suitable accommodation etc is available when they get there.

And you still call it a free country when your government can force you to move away from friends and family? Have you lived in Alberta? Most of the jobs they offer are also seasonal work,so are they really helping or just moving the problem like a shell game?

Got anything to back up the hyperbole or is it simply hyperbole?

Gunnair @ Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:31 pm

denmns denmns:
so this shows again how ignorant and hateful the conservatives (reform party controlling their policies!!) are of eastern canada.
There is only seasonal work for most there. For most people, if you want a full-time job, you have to be fully bilingual (especially in NB), go to your local politician to "ask" or "beg" for a job to make enough money to collect EI, or "know somebody"!!

I love the maritimes, and visit every year to see family!!
But to find work there full time will only happen when I can retire.

"Can" being the word depending how much more I have to work past 65 to afford it!!!

Move and get a job instead of sitting on your arse and collecting pogey.

Canadian_Mind @ Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
denmns denmns:
so this shows again how ignorant and hateful the conservatives (reform party controlling their policies!!) are of eastern canada.
There is only seasonal work for most there. For most people, if you want a full-time job, you have to be fully bilingual (especially in NB), go to your local politician to "ask" or "beg" for a job to make enough money to collect EI, or "know somebody"!!

I love the maritimes, and visit every year to see family!!
But to find work there full time will only happen when I can retire.

"Can" being the word depending how much more I have to work past 65 to afford it!!!

Move and get a job instead of sitting on your arse and collecting pogey.

This. Their are oil companies in Alberta who will secure you housing AND pay for your move, so long as you qualify for the position.

denmns @ Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:36 am

I guess there are members out there who do not know what it is like to live across canada.

To CDN_PATRIOT and to GUNNAIR!

You obviously do not know me or anything about "all" of canada!!

I have worked all my life since I was 8 years old. I had to leave eastern canada to live in ontario so I would not have to put up with what I mentioned earlier.

I have also visited every province In canada, except for the northern provinces, and have met a lot of great people who know what I am talking about.

maybe you should take off your blinders, go out of your "little world" and see this great country, talk to the people, and see what life is really like across this country. I do not want to live in a country that is more and more like the USA.

That is why I make my comment on here, and believe that all canadians should have a chance to live a good life, no matter where in this country they live.

I guess in your case " Ignorance is bliss!!"

Gunnair @ Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:29 am

denmns denmns:
I guess there are members out there who do not know what it is like to live across canada.

To CDN_PATRIOT and to GUNNAIR!

You obviously do not know me or anything about "all" of canada!!

I have worked all my life since I was 8 years old. I had to leave eastern canada to live in ontario so I would not have to put up with what I mentioned earlier.

I have also visited every province In canada, except for the northern provinces, and have met a lot of great people who know what I am talking about.

maybe you should take off your blinders, go out of your "little world" and see this great country, talk to the people, and see what life is really like across this country. I do not want to live in a country that is more and more like the USA.

That is why I make my comment on here, and believe that all canadians should have a chance to live a good life, no matter where in this country they live.

Seen a lot of this country and many others. Want a good life?

Get off your ass, get a job, and stay of pogey.

Oh, and if you surround yourself with lazy buddies collecting pogey, then no surprise, you'll be told you're right.

OnTheIce @ Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:24 am

denmns denmns:

Canada doesn't owe you or anyone a good life. That's up to you.

I'm sure we'd all love to move out of big cities and have a house on the lake....and then bitch because we have no jobs in our little town of 600 people.

bootlegga @ Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:29 am

Dee2012 Dee2012:
Most of the jobs they offer are also seasonal work,so are they really helping or just moving the problem like a shell game?

:roll:

Yep, that's why oil prices rise in the summer, because oil can't be produced until the fall, just like grain, apples and everything else that's seasonal... :lol:

denmns @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:31 am

I guess you guys did not look at my profile.

I have worked all my life since I was 8.

I work for a company north of Toronto. have been there for over 23 years!!

That is why I have been able to go from NFLD to BC , especially in the last 7 years.

OnTheIce @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:06 am

Brenda Brenda:
Just wondering, what happens if you, due to sickness, accident or whatever, cannot do your job anymore?
What if you are a truck driver, and you loose an eye? Or when a welder looses a hand?

Why couldn't Andy's friend go on disability for the time he was unable to work due to his serious illness? And, how much would that be?

Society can't pick up the tab for everyone.

You're responsible for yourself and if you opt to go through life without insurance, that's the risk you take.

Gunnair @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:20 am

denmns denmns:
I guess you guys did not look at my profile.

I have worked all my life since I was 8.

I work for a company north of Toronto. have been there for over 23 years!!

That is why I have been able to go from NFLD to BC , especially in the last 7 years.

I 'm not sure what your profile has to do with your opinion here.

Brenda @ Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:26 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Brenda Brenda:

Society can't pick up the tab for everyone.

You're responsible for yourself and if you opt to go through life without insurance, that's the risk you take.

What kind of insurance?
My home owners insurance doesn't cover that, my health care insurance doesn't cover that...

I'm thinking that society doesn't pick up the tab for ANYONE. You have to worry about losing your home when you are fighting a fatal disease? Seriously? That is bullshit.

Previous  1  2  3  Next