Canada Kicks Ass
Harperities Halt Improvements on CPP

Centre @ Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:58 am

Conservatives are losing support among Canadian seniors for refusing to expand the Canada Pension Plan, warns a national seniors group.

On the same day that the Conservative majority voted down an NDP motion calling for CPP expansion, the seniors lobby group CARP released a survey showing Conservative support is slipping among its members.

NDP MP Murray Rankin, who put forward Monday’s motion, said the government’s position is unfortunate given the success of the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board at generating high returns at low cost.

“I just find it inexcusable,” he said of the Conservative position, calling the CPP “one of those great success stories in Canada.”
Mr. Rankin noted that it was Mr. Sorenson leading the government’s response and not Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, who had urged the provinces and territories in 2010 to support a modest increase to the CPP but was unable to secure enough support.

Liberal MP John McCallum raised Mr. Flaherty’s past comments during Monday’s debate, speculating that the minister “was overruled by his boss,” Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who Mr. McCallum said has long been a critic of the CPP.

“He does not like the Canada Pension Plan, so I believe that as long as he is the Prime Minister of this country, no time will be the right time for any infinitesimal increase in CPP premiums and benefits,” he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... d/follows/

saturn_656 @ Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:48 am

If their idea of improving CPP involves the guvment taking an even bigger cut off my paycheck, the conservatives can drag their feet all they want.