Canada Kicks Ass
Please send Tim Hortons!!

Previous  1  2  3

Gunnair @ Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:07 am

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
Caelon Caelon:
Well there are coffee preferences and then there are those that go a little farther. My kids got me into roasting my own beans. So now all the coffee I drink at home is from home roasted beans. According to the real experts (not me) the best time to make the coffee is between 24 hours and 7 days after roasting. I will say this, the coffee I drink at home tastes better than most places.

As for Starbucks, I agree with Dinno, it over priced and tastes burnt.

Gunnair the reason you do not care for a Pinot Noir is you are not drinking it out of a Pinot Noir glass. The right glass makes all the difference in the world. You have to experience the difference the glass can make in the wine before you will ever believe it, but once you find out it is like becoming a reformed smoker.

That's a lot of work man :lol: . but I'm sure its worth it. Even the difference from pre-ground coffee to freshly ground coffee is a suprising so I could just imagine.

Any recommendations on the Pinot Noir thing. My wife and I are just getting into wine tasting but it's all ways hard to find a good one.

Well, I started by going to the local wineries for tasting. The Island has several, and of course, the Okanagan Valley is chockers. A trip to Napa and Sonoma was... amazing.

Gunnair @ Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:08 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
We usually buy Starbuck beans at Costco and then we grind and brew at home. Right now it's just the house blend, but we often buy the Breakfast blend. I''m not a fan of dark roasts, which the Chinese seem to reeeeally like

All we get right now is French roast (which I'm partial too) The Starbuck Via instant coffee is excellent as well and is great to take backpacking.

Gunnair @ Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:15 am

I'll give Timmies some credit though.

:lol:

Caelon @ Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Any recommendations on the Pinot Noir thing. My wife and I are just getting into wine tasting but it's all ways hard to find a good one.

Well a couple of BC wineries I like are Mount Boucherie and Burrowing Owl. On the whites Grey Monk has some nice ones too. The wines will cost you in the $15 to $25 range. With the right glass they can rival the wines costing twice as much.

If you can go an a little wine tasting trip to wineries in your area I am sure you will find wines that will match your pallet. The catch happens when your pallet is richer than your budget. For me I seldom do a wine tasting deal without walking away with a case here or there. So 2 to 5 cases is sort of the norm on a trip. I only drink maybe a couple of cases a year and now have quite a selection 'maturing'.

Yogi @ Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:48 pm

I grind my own, or use the expresso machine. A good close second is actually the strong Columbian (blue or gold top) from Super Store. 1/2 cup to 6 cups of water makes for a decent day!

Gunnair @ Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 pm

Caelon Caelon:

Well a couple of BC wineries I like are Mount Boucherie and Burrowing Owl. On the whites Grey Monk has some nice ones too. The wines will cost you in the $15 to $25 range. With the right glass they can rival the wines costing twice as much.

If you can go an a little wine tasting trip to wineries in your area I am sure you will find wines that will match your pallet. The catch happens when your pallet is richer than your budget. For me I seldom do a wine tasting deal without walking away with a case here or there. So 2 to 5 cases is sort of the norm on a trip. I only drink maybe a couple of cases a year and now have quite a selection 'maturing'.

Blasted Church and La Frenz and Dirty Laundrey are great for starters at $20 to $40.

Strutz @ Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:12 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Caelon Caelon:

Blasted Church and La Frenz and Dirty Laundrey are great for starters at $20 to $40.

Add to list of BC wines... Cedar Creek, they also have some very nice wines. As well, I just recently tried a Pinot Noir from Greata Ranch, which is another name in the Cedar Creek family. A very nice PN, a little sweeter than other Pinot Noirs I typically enjoy from South America and South Africa.

Also Therapy Vineyards... they have a fantastic white called Freudian Sip (VQA), a blend of 6 different varietals, one of my absolute favorite whites.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:58 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
I'll give Timmies some credit though.

:lol:

I used to live near the only Timmies I ever saw that wasn't open 24hrs. They were closed from midnight to 4PM every night. Of course, considering the bar it was situated next door to, it wasn't really surprising.

My wife and I have so much in common it's almost scary...excpet when it comes to coffee. She hates the smell but enjoys the taste. She drinks it black.
I hate the shit but love the smell of fresh ground beans or when it's freshly brewed. :lol:

Previous  1  2  3