Canada Kicks Ass
The Election Crisis, Voter Turn Out

polemarch1 @ Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:34 pm

No matter who you voted for in the recent federal election any citizen who is concerned about the future of Democracy in Canada should be concerned about the voter turn out. 60.5% an all time low despite this being in all likely hood one of the most contested elections in our history. My question is how can we solve this problem. This artical gives some suggestions.

Saving Democracy

and for some comparison
International Voter Turnout

Robair @ Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:42 pm

One could hope that the reason for poor turnout was indecision. Nobody was running that the voters really liked... I dunno, but it is kinda disturbing. With the tight race, I would expect better turnout.

I know, lets clone Rick Mercer, send him out to harrass folks that aren't voting, make them feel really stupid. Soon people will be scared not to vote!

Richard @ Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:49 am

Perhaps we should just punt everyone running in a riding that has less then a 70% turnout. That way they would have to get of their asses and do a good job to get in as well as being visible in said riding.

CyNiCaL @ Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:12 pm

I figure the decline in voter turn out is due to the lack of quality government. For the last months of last year and the time up till the election, all we heard about was how much money the liberals wasted, stole and gave away to friends. And that was just from the audit. So right there everyone has a bad taste in thier mouth with the gov. You probably wont find to many working Canadians that are pissed about paying taxes, but you will find a whole load of them that are pissed about the lack of "tax payed services" that we actually recieve. And they are getting fewer and fewer everyday.

And you have to admit, its not like Jack or Steve were going to be our saviors from the nasty liberal regime we have endured. So again, people are left with the idea that "it doesnt matter which one of the 3 I vote for, Im gonna get screwed anyway".

And then the election race gets underway and what do the politicians do? They spend money on criticising and insulting each other and some things they have done. Using the same tactics thier american counterparts have used, and hot damn, we get the same result. Pathetic voter turn out.

So until we get some decent government to maybe do somethings WE as tax paying citizens like, and work for us instead of thier own wallets, we will continue to have a crapola voter turn out.

mcpuck @ Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:45 pm

CyNiCaL CyNiCaL:
I figure the decline in voter turn out is due to the lack of quality government. For the last months of last year and the time up till the election, all we heard about was how much money the liberals wasted, stole and gave away to friends. And that was just from the audit. So right there everyone has a bad taste in their mouth with the Gov.

Isn’t this precisely why we should have all showed up that day and voted their asses out of existence?

CyNiCaL CyNiCaL:
You probably wont find to many working Canadians that are pissed about paying taxes, but you will find a whole load of them that are pissed about the lack of "tax paid services" that we actually receive. And they are getting fewer and fewer everyday.

You’re absolutely correct. Do you realize that our entire social services package only costs Canada around 60 billion per year? That is only about 7% of our entire GDP. Where is all the other money being spent? Why does it matter if Medicare costs 40 billion dollars? We can afford to pay more than that.
CyNiCaL CyNiCaL:
And you have to admit, its not like Jack or Steve were going to be our saviors from the nasty liberal regime we have endured. So again, people are left with the idea that "it doesn’t matter which one of the 3 I vote for, I’m going to get screwed anyway". And then the election race gets underway and what do the politicians do? They spend money on criticizing and insulting each other and some things they have done. Using the same tactics their American counterparts have used, and hot damn, we get the same result. Pathetic voter turn out. So until we get some decent government to maybe do something’s WE as tax paying citizens like, and work for us instead of their own wallets, we will continue to have a crapola voter turn out.

Again, you are correct. I think there is a fundamental mistrust of the media and of politicians. First and foremost, I think the entire system has to be changed. Politicians should have to submit rhetoric to an independent fact checking group for approval or disapproval before information can be presented on commercials and advertisements. If the facts cannot be verified then the information has to be deliberately presented as hearsay complete with a disclaimer.
We need to ban corporate access to politicians. We have to ban election contributions. If we could design a publicly funded system, we could completely eliminate partisan politics. These people are running Canada using our money to run it. They should have Canada’s best interest at heart before big business needs.
People don’t vote because they feel powerless to stop the madness.

DMP08 @ Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:58 am

Speaking of which...now that I have turned 18, where do I go to register for voting? Can I get a form offline or do I go to a building in town or...? Thanks. Because if you don't vote, don't complain!

Ralph @ Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:36 am

:lol:

Ralph @ Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:46 am

[
Again, you are correct. I think there is a fundamental mistrust of the media and of politicians. First and foremost, I think the entire system has to be changed. Politicians should have to submit rhetoric to an independent fact checking group for approval or disapproval before information can be presented on commercials and advertisements.

WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THIS INDEPENDENT GROUP AND WHO PUT THEM THERE?

We need to ban corporate access to politicians. GOOD LUCK THERE
We have to ban election contributions.
If we could design a publicly funded system, we could completely eliminate partisan politics. DIDN'T WORK IN THE USSR

These people are running Canada using our money to run it. They should have Canada’s best interest at heart before big business needs.
People don’t vote because they feel powerless to stop the madness.[/quote]

THE PEOPLE ARE PART OF THE MADNESS WE MAKE IT WORK :wink:

Rev_Blair @ Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:06 am

$1:
Speaking of which...now that I have turned 18, where do I go to register for voting?

Just before the next election the enumerators will come to your door and ask how many of you are eligible to vote. You don't have to register here like they do in the US.

DMP08 @ Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:24 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
Just before the next election the enumerators will come to your door and ask how many of you are eligible to vote. You don't have to register here like they do in the US.

So just sit back and wait? I can do that. I can do that very well indeed :lol:

mcpuck @ Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:26 am

Ralph Ralph:
WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THIS INDEPENDENT GROUP AND WHO PUT THEM THERE?

A group of academics appointed by a commitee comprised of representatives of all the parties.

Ralph Ralph:
We need to ban corporate access to politicians. GOOD LUCK THERE

Yeah, but do you agree with me?

Ralph Ralph:
We have to ban election contributions.
If we could design a publicly funded system, we could completely eliminate partisan politics. DIDN'T WORK IN THE USSR

Their system was fundamentally different. Give me something I can sink my teeth into.

Ralph Ralph:
These people are running Canada using our money to run it. They should have Canada’s best interest at heart before big business needs.
People don’t vote because they feel powerless to stop the madness

THE PEOPLE ARE PART OF THE MADNESS WE MAKE IT WORK :wink:

WTF??