Canada Kicks Ass
Warnings about potential Muslim radicalization went ignored,

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:26 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/w ... -1.2687016

$1:
A former University of Calgary professor says he warned the school's administration years ago about the potential radicalization of some Muslim students, but nothing was done.

Aaron Hughes, who now teaches at the University of Rochester, N.Y., said he wanted to speak out after a series of CBC News stories revealed that several young Calgarians have headed overseas as jihadists in Iraq and Syria.

Wouldn't be PC to investigate them based on their ethnicity and religious views. CHRC would have been all over them.

$1:
U of C officials responded to Hughes's comments with a statement on Tuesday, saying they're committed to fostering an environment of free and open debate of ideas. Any concerns with illegal activity should be taken to police, they added.

Calgary police say the issue is on their radar, confirming that they are aware of about two dozen youths who have left the city to fight overseas.

Hughes said he’s not surprised. But he said when he lived in Calgary, he saw no evidence of police looking into the issue.

“When I was living in Calgary, I was probably the person objectively that knew more about Islam than anybody. Not once did I ever have a conversation with anyone from the Calgary police services,” he said.

“I really think it's an issue that needs to be addressed in places like Calgary where there's such a large Muslim population.”

BartSimpson @ Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:38 am

Obviously the professor is a racist and should be vigorously prosecuted for his opinions.

bootlegga @ Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:57 am

Ignored by the media perhaps - not the authorities;

$1:
The council worked with the Calgary Police and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) to identify and monitor any local extremists, Sabbah said.

“(CSIS) talk to us from time to time. Sometimes there’s some concern and they want us to be wary (if) something might happen.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calga ... story.html

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:19 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Ignored by the media perhaps - not the authorities;

$1:
The council worked with the Calgary Police and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) to identify and monitor any local extremists, Sabbah said.

“(CSIS) talk to us from time to time. Sometimes there’s some concern and they want us to be wary (if) something might happen.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calga ... story.html

Not ignored by the media. I heard a recording on the radio last weekend of a Calgary Imam saying how these men have done a great deal of harm to the Muslim community with their actions. Couldn't find it online, or I woulda posted it.

BartSimpson @ Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:55 am

Being monitored by the authorities is not the same as being deported by the authorities.

Thanos @ Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:02 pm

He should have kicked up a fuss with CSIS or the RCMP instead. Calgary PD simply isn't outfitted, either mentally or resource-wise, to preventatively deal with this sort of thing.

andyt @ Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:00 pm

I dunno - the Calgary cop I saw speaking on CBC was very blunt about what a threat this radicalization was and that they took it very seriously. He said Canada should not kid itself that we are not on the list of targets same as other western countries. There is probably a lot going on behind the scenes you are not privy too. Doubt if they call you up every morning to give you an update on how their investigations are going. The problem is we have free speech - if someone isn't directly inciting violence, pretty hard to do anything about it. As for these guys going overseas to fight, what exactly is the crime in Canada they've committed that they could be charged with?

andyt @ Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:00 pm

I dunno - the Calgary cop I saw speaking on CBC was very blunt about what a threat this radicalization was and that they took it very seriously. He said Canada should not kid itself that we are not on the list of targets same as other western countries. There is probably a lot going on behind the scenes you are not privy too. Doubt if they call you up every morning to give you an update on how their investigations are going. The problem is we have free speech - if someone isn't directly inciting violence, pretty hard to do anything about it. As for these guys going overseas to fight, what exactly is the crime in Canada they've committed that they could be charged with?