Canada Kicks Ass
1 Oct 2017: Catalonia Independence or start of civil war?

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

BartSimpson @ Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 pm

martin14 martin14:
Spain set to hold elections in Catalonia in January to settle independence debacle...

But will Spain honor the outcome of the election if it doesn't go their way?

martin14 @ Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
martin14 martin14:
Spain set to hold elections in Catalonia in January to settle independence debacle...

But will Spain honor the outcome of the election if it doesn't go their way?

I imagine quite a few independence candidates will be sitting
in jail on a variety of charges during the election period.

So everything will be OK. :lol:

Vbeacher @ Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:26 pm

The sulky, spoiled stupidity of people who have never known want, need or danger. Catalonia is a rich region which has benefited mightily from being an important part of Spain. This attempt at secession is not about repression but simply a ridiculous nostalgia for a nation which was united into what became Spain over five hundred years ago. The pathetic political scumbags who have fanned the flames of nationalism might well take a lovely and peaceful part of Spain and turn it into an economic nightmare of violence. If that's the case they should be the first ones stood up against a wall.

Why is it the world's scum all seem to have weird hairdos these days?

martin14 @ Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:13 pm

Vbeacher Vbeacher:

Leftism is truly a mental disorder. That's why.

martin14 @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:05 am

Let the arresting and imprisonment festival begin !! :lol:

BREAKING NEWS: Catalonia FINALLY declares independence but Madrid prepares to impose direct rule later today amid fears of wave of violence on streets as Spanish PM calls for ‘calm’

The Catalan parliament has voted 70 to 10 - with two blank ballots - to declare its independence from Spain
Spanish PM Mariano Rajoy said he wanted to 'shut down' the Catalan regional parliament in a speech today
Spain's senate is due to take extraordinary measures and seize control of Catalonia amid the secession crisis
Catalan MPs opposed to the region's independence stormed out of parliament before the vote in protest
It comes after Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont yesterday ruled out announcing snap election for December
Elections were considered in an effort to ease the crisis as Madrid prepares to seize control of the region
But he decided there were no 'guarantees' to do so and that an election could spark more violence on streets

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4wiXHKCyG

BartSimpson @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:16 am

Good for the Catalonians! [cheer]

martin14 @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:57 am

And, 40 minutes later, they are done. :)

Catalan Parliament dissolved, direct rule from Madrid implemented.

EU leaders will not recognize indpendent Catalonia.

Madrid dissolves Catalonian parliament and calls a snap election after imposing direct rule on the region when it finally declared independence as Spanish Prime Minister calls for 'calm' amid fears of wave of violence on the streets

Spanish PM Mariano Rajoy announced at 7.30pm UK time that Catalan parliament has been dissolved
Police chief sacked and offices of president and vice-president made vacant for elections on December 21
Follows Catalan parliament 70 to 10 - with two blank ballots - to declare its independence from Spain
Shares in Catalan banks fell sharply in response to declaration - dragging the entire stock market with them
Both EU and USA, meanwhile, have backed Spain after the vote - with the US also backing use of article 155
Number 10 said UK 'would not recognise' Catalonia's declaration of independence after 'illegal' referendum

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4wjhyxZ36

I have said before, needs a thousand dead people.
Maybe there will be some.

BartSimpson @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:19 pm

"Fora, fora, fora, la bandera espanola!"

[B-o]

BartSimpson @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:28 pm

The declaration has made ripples in French Catalonia and there's people in that area asking for reunification with the country they were severed from by a Spanish-French treaty in the 1600's.

No word on if the Catalan Police are preparing to fight the Spanish police and National Guard who were beating people up earlier this month.

Spain is working hard to keep the matter internal but they're also going to have a chat with NATO this week about their defense posture.

The Eurozone ministers are in a bit of a quandary: While they'd previously promised that Catalonia would not be able to use the Euro they're now in the position of realizing that if they deny the Euro to the Catalans that they'll be tacitly recognizing Catalan independence from Spain and the EU.

The Iberian Exchange dropped a little on the news but not much. Not sure if that was due to the timing of the declaration or not. We'll see what happens on Monday.

Sunnyways @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Vbeacher Vbeacher:
The sulky, spoiled stupidity of people who have never known want, need or danger. Catalonia is a rich region which has benefited mightily from being an important part of Spain. This attempt at secession is not about repression but simply a ridiculous nostalgia for a nation which was united into what became Spain over five hundred years ago. The pathetic political scumbags who have fanned the flames of nationalism might well take a lovely and peaceful part of Spain and turn it into an economic nightmare of violence. If that's the case they should be the first ones stood up against a wall.

You could say something of that sort that about many independence movements. Look at those ungrateful Americans.

rickc @ Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:33 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
Vbeacher Vbeacher:

You could say something of that sort that about many independence movements. Look at those ungrateful Americans.

R=UP LOL!!! I would rep if I could! The rest of this post is not addressed to you but the board in general.

I do not live in Catalonia. I have no say in what goes on there. It is not my place to tell anyone living there what to do, or not to do. They have to work that out for themselves. That said I do however have a problem with this trend of certain regions of the planet looking back hundreds of years and deciding that they wish to return to what they once had. There needs to be some finality, or closure in life. Countries fight wars. There are winners and losers. Treaties are signed. Borders change. Empires change. Governments change. How fucked up would the world be if every region on the planet suddenly wanted a "do-over" from a period dating back hundreds of years ago? Its bad enough when countries want a do-over from 20 years earlier (like WW2). That is not a good thing but it makes more sense than a do-over from hundreds of years ago. There were a lot of people in WW2 that were alive during WW1. They had bitter feelings about the outcome because they lived trough it. Thats understandable. There are probably quite a few people in Iraq pissed of about the war(s) there. They lived through them. I do not expect them to like me (me being an American that is). That would be foolish of me. There are however no people in that area that lived through the Crusades. I do not wish to hear someone from that part of the world chastising me over the Crusades. No Americans were involved in the Crusades. Its not my problem.

The point being that throughout human history,mankind has went to war to solve thier problems. I am not saying that is a good thing, I am just stating that it is a fact. When cooler heads prevail, treaties get signed. Wars end. Life moves on. Old enemies become new allies. What right do we have to go back hundreds of years and reopen closed wounds? Does France get to claim that they got a raw deal on the Plains of Abraham and want to renegotiate the terms? Do I as an American southerner get to claim that the U.S. government deprived my ancestors of their property without just compensation when President Lincoln freed the slaves? I seriously hope not. People fought and people died. Sometimes we need to live with the outcomes. Sometimes we need to move on. We can't keep living in the past.

martin14 @ Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:12 am

It's already over.

New Ministers from Madrid
Catalan Police chiefs sacked at 4am.
You can be sure all Catalan police will be retaking an oath to SPAIN
next week, or be fired.

Catalonia crumbles: Ministers appointed by Spanish Prime Minister take over Catalan government as police chief is sacked and armed officers guard the regional parliament after night of violence on the streets of Barcelona

Spanish PM Mariano Rajoy announced at 7.30pm UK time that the Catalan parliament has been dissolved
Government was sacked in preparation for elections on December 21 and Catalan police chief forced out
Follows a vote in the Catalan parliament by 70 to 10 - with two blank ballots - to declare its independence
Shares in Catalan banks fell sharply in response to announcement, dragging entire stock market with them
Both EU and USA, meanwhile, have backed Spain after vote - with the US also backing use of article 155
Number 10 said UK 'will not recognise' Catalonia's declaration of independence after 'illegal' referendum

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4wnfgvZmb

Sunnyways @ Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:09 am

It's not over. Madrid made a massive mistake by refusing to hold a referendum years ago when it would probably have won comfortably. The longer this drags on, the more the locals will support independence.

bootlegga @ Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:17 am

martin14 martin14:
It's already over.

While I understand their desire to separate, let's hope it doesn't get violent like the Basques did for so long.

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:33 am

The EU strengthens independence or regional movements.

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  Next