Canada Kicks Ass
Female Doctor Who robs boys of role models, claims Tory MP

1  2  Next

raydan @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Optional subject text... more Conservative stupidity

$1:
Nick Fletcher said "female replacements" in shows like Doctor Who were robbing boys of good role models.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-59421259

DrCaleb @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:33 pm

Yup. Makes sense. After all, males had things going swimmingly until The Doctor turned genders, then everything went downhill.

Idiots.

Scape @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:30 pm

Has to be seen to be believed. This guy has all the presentation and enthusiasm of a wet noodle. It's a lazy argument, akin to video games make kids violent.

Thanos @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:38 pm

"Stupid right-wing man says same stupid thing that other stupid right-wing men have been saying for decades" is pretty much a daily occurrence. There's no evidence to indicate that they're ever going to stop saying these things. And next week his follow-up speech will be all about how everything wrong is entirely the fault of single moms and/or no one going to church anymore. :|

herbie @ Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:08 pm

They been saying shit like this forever. I remember them talking around the table when I was a teenager
"If that goddam Pierre Trudeau legalizes homosexuals, they're gonna breed like flies!"

JaredMilne @ Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:20 am

Thanos Thanos:
"Stupid right-wing man says same stupid thing that other stupid right-wing men have been saying for decades" is pretty much a daily occurrence. There's no evidence to indicate that they're ever going to stop saying these things. And next week his follow-up speech will be all about how everything wrong is entirely the fault of single moms and/or no one going to church anymore. :|

Hey, at least they're not saying God inflicted an earthquake on Haiti for its quote-unquote "devil worship" anymore. :roll:

But seriously-after all the James Bonds, Sherlock Holmeses and Doctor Whos with Y chromosomes for the last 60 years, making one of them female is somehow going to deprive boys of role models? Not to mention we have new Batman and Spider-Man movies coming out soon.

I'm not even a Doctor Who fan and this idiot's comments almost makes me want them to cast a hijab-wearing brown Muslim woman as the next Doctor.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:37 am

I've never been a Whovian, but I have friends that are. The majority of them are female, and have mentioned they didn't like the idea of a female Doctor, and stopped watching. The consensus was that they really liked David Tennant and Matt Smith.

My G/F said that she thought switching the Doctor to a female actually felt like a quick attempt to virtue signal, and mentioned that it was "a slap in the face to all the female Whovians like me that never had a problem with the lead being male."

In certain shows, a female lead works. I loved Kathryn Janeway in Voyager. Strong, passionate, and witty, she was a well-balanced captain. Sometimes, the character doesn't even have to be a lead. Mira Furlan's (RIP) portrayal of Delenn in Babylon 5 stood on it's own, and she was even a heroine to men like me.

Problem nowadays is that producers are telling us what we want and trying to appease every individual opinion instead of making a show and telling a story worth watching.

-J.

DrCaleb @ Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:17 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Problem nowadays is that producers are telling us what we want and trying to appease every individual opinion instead of making a show and telling a story worth watching.

-J.

I've watched the show since John Pertwee was the lead. You can look that up. ;)

There has never been any part of the show that said The Doctor had to be male, or that the species was incapable of it. It is part of the story that each regeneration brings changes to The Doctor. Some are silly, some are serious, some are bubbly, some are stoic.

It all depends on what the actor brings to the role. And that is part of the story. They even work older stories into new ones, like when Sarah Jane Smith met David Tennants Doctor, making her the only Assistant to have 3 Doctors. Or when Romana regenerated into another Romana. Or Captain Jack who bounces between 3 or 4 Doctors.

It's just another way to explore the character of The Doctor, by seeing how a woman is in the role. As a long time fan, I don't hate her. She's a bit too energetic, like Matt Smit's Doctor, but still funny like David Tennants. But since she is currently in her last series, I wonder what they will do next.

I suspect they will stitch together several stories, and explore one of the the regenerations they haven't explored, but teased. And that means the next Doctor will be a Black woman. 8)

raydan @ Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:20 pm

My philosophy is this...

Accept the show (any show) for what it is, not what you think it should be, that way you'll be less disappointed. It's not that you have much influence on what's going to happen anyways... unless you send a strongly worded message to the producers.

raydan @ Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Another thing is that this is a business, so what they want is viewership. They couldn't care less who views it, it's the total numbers that count. Anybody who thinks that they have an "agenda" should take a few business courses. Now, if appeasing individual opinions brings in the viewers, that's where they'll go, even if I don't agree.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:30 pm

raydan raydan:
My philosophy is this...

Accept the show (any show) for what it is, not what you think it should be, that way you'll be less disappointed.

We shouldn't have to accept sub-standard shows that have been ruined/diluted by political correctness and virtue signalling. Shows used to be able to tackle diverse subject matter and real world issues while still maintaining superb acting/storytelling that would bring us back time and again.

Catering to every crybaby out there has already corrupted many franchises, and has turned off long-time fans who just want something great to watch and enjoy. The whole point of a lot of shows (especially science fiction) is to see and experience what could be, rather than injecting too much of what is.

When too much of the real world gets dropped into the fictional world, we stop watching because the fictional world is what helps us forget about the real world for a short period of time.

-J.

raydan @ Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:52 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
We shouldn't have to accept sub-standard shows that have been ruined/diluted by political correctness and virtue signalling. Shows used to be able to tackle diverse subject matter and real world issues while still maintaining superb acting/storytelling that would bring us back time and again.

Catering to every crybaby out there has already corrupted many franchises, and has turned off long-time fans who just want something great to watch and enjoy. The whole point of a lot of shows (especially science fiction) is to see and experience what could be, rather than injecting too much of what is.

When too much of the real world gets dropped into the fictional world, we stop watching because the fictional world is what helps us forget about the real world for a short period of time.

-J.

WTF man! You don't have to accept any show. If you don't like it, don't watch it. The world doesn't revolve around you and when you finally accept that fact, you'll be a much happier person, I hope.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:49 pm

raydan raydan:
The world doesn't revolve around you

This from the guy that keeps making it about me, when I'm merely stating an opinion and point of view that many people share. It's not about me at all, and never was.

I can objectively state an opinion without me being central. You take my arguments as 'all about me' what that simply isn't the case. I don't watch any of the new shows, and only watch what I want to watch, and when I want to watch it.

Why can't you have a discussion without making it about someone else?

-J.

DrCaleb @ Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:09 pm

raydan raydan:
WTF man! You don't have to accept any show. If you don't like it, don't watch it. The world doesn't revolve around you and when you finally accept that fact, you'll be a much happier person, I hope.

^^^ That is exactly how shows are determined. If Fonzi wants to jump a shark because reasons, then the people that tune the show out after that means the show stops production. Note: This does not apply to Firefly.

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
This from the guy that keeps making it about me, when I'm merely stating an opinion and point of view that many people share.

I think I've mentioned before that just because people believe something, does not make it true.

Ray picks on you, because you are the resident embodiment of that. Even when your opinions have been show to not be based on any known facts, you continue to relate them to us. All Ray is saying is that bitching about stuff on the internet changes nothing. Stop watching the show, and it will end if enough people agree with you. Ranting on about nonsensical things like 'wokeness' only further exasperates people.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:23 pm

I'm not trying to rant. The 'wokeness' drives me mental, and I can't exactly start screaming on a street corner.

-J.

1  2  Next