Canada Kicks Ass
Another Newbie

ShaneTCB @ Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:21 pm

Hi, I'm new here. My name is Shane. I suppose I ought to introduce myself.

I'm 22 years old and currently living in Norwich, CT, USA. I'm an American by birth, but I have Canadian heritage (which I've been unable to trace). I'm in the US Navy right now, and I don't care for it or it's cause much, but I signed on the dotted line and I am fulfilling my obligation.

After I get out I am looking forward to moving to Canada. Probably GTA or southern Ontario, as my family lives in Detroit, MI. I know immigration isn't easy, but I don't feel that I fit in in my country any more. In my many visits north I have grown to love and respect Canada, and with luck I'll one day no longer be an American of Canadian heritage, but just a Canadian.

Just wanted to tip my hat and say hello.

Guest @ Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:35 pm

Hello Shane, Ian here. Good luck with immigration....if you have a background in construction, or nursing, you will have no problem getting in to Canada (shortages in those fields and others). A friend of mine tried to immigrate to Canada for 8 years, and they wouldnt let him in. As soon as his wife finished her nursing degree they were accepted! Your military background maybe an asset when it comes to immigration(dont quote me on that!). It will atleast look dam good on a resume for sure!

ShaneTCB @ Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:55 pm

Hi Ian-
Yeah, I guess coming in under the Skilled Worker class can be a little difficult sometimes. I think that the Navy is going to help me for once though. I'm a Nuclear Reactor Operator in the Nav, and I understand that there are several plants in Ontario that are getting un-mothballed. If that doesn't work I've been toying with going to college to become a teacher. Only time will tell however.

DMP08 @ Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:15 pm

Welcome! So I'm guessing you are NOT on leave right now in the navy...unless of course you use something like satellite internet on the ship. Hope you have fun here (on the site) and hopefuly immigration doesn't trouble you too much.

hormel26c @ Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:01 pm

I'm pretty new to this site too, but welcome!

Depending upon how long you stay in the USN, you may have a fairly useful skilled trade should you finally decide to move to Canada.

Reading your MOS and location I'm guessing you spend your life in black hulls. Boomers or SSNs?

ShaneTCB @ Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:43 pm

DMP08-

I'm not very worried about immigration. I've taken the trial skilled worker exam, and I passed by like ten points. Thanks for the well wishes though!

I'm not on leave I'm on shore duty. Basically a cushy desk job as a reward for doing my time on the boat. I'm a submariner so we don't have internet on the boat, but I hear that surface ships do. That must be nice.

Hormel26c-

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I'm a submariner and SSN's. Shore duty right now as I said though.

Later guys.