Canada Kicks Ass
Introducing myself...(Scott Mayers)

1  2  Next

ScottMayers @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:43 am

Hi everyone.

I'm interested in most areas of intellect and though don't prefer the 'politics' of most people, I am compelled to be involved because there is no choice when this controls the fate of us in nearly all areas.

Most concerning for my participation here is to dispel the concept of 'culture' as a rational predisposition of our Constitution and aim to entice change of it to remove cultural/religious power entrenched in it that deceptively appeals to be favoring of all people's "diversity" when it is actually a front to CONSERVE select cultures that authoritatively command passage to all other cultures accepted through their acceptance only.

I'm also most interested in LOGIC, SCIENCE, and, in general, philosophy of everything. I like depth over 'tweets', content over popular appeal....but know I'm in an uphill battle against the vast majority of people thinking this way even in forums everywhere.

I hope you like my participation and PLEASE don't ever think I may not approve of you as a person if I argue with passion and the depth needed. I look forward to seeing if I have affect as much as to be affected, if possible, intellectually.

Preferred lean politically: NDP or "social democratic" ideas. But I don't believe I fit in there either given my stance against culture as a function of law-making. That is, I strongly disapprove of Identity-related politics that make ALL our politics here non-progressive in fact.

Scott Mayers. Saskatoon, SK

DrCaleb @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Welcome Scott. I wish you luck! :rock:

N_Fiddledog @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:42 pm

$1:
the concept of 'culture' as a rational predisposition of our Constitution and aim to entice change of it to remove cultural/religious power entrenched in it that deceptively appeals to be favoring of all people's "diversity" when it is actually a front to CONSERVE select cultures that authoritatively command passage to all other cultures accepted through their acceptance only.

First impression...pseudo-philosophical gobbledygook.

Looking forward to seeing you fill in the details supporting whatever that was though. Hopefully you'll prove me wrong.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:06 pm

ScottMayers ScottMayers:
Preferred lean politically: NDP or "social democratic" ideas.

I knew it! Andrea Horwath is your side chick!

8O

(P.S. Welcome!)

-J.

ScottMayers @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:13 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Welcome Scott. I wish you luck! :rock:

Thank you. I know from the start (and your signature) that you don't approve of my stance and am a bit concerned about this but hope to have some power of reasoning to change yours and others minds on this BUT with the same (hopeful) intent of wellness.

I don't have any emotive distaste for the sincere thinkers that believe culture IS a valid thing for government to have power in. I'm in line with the Enlightenment's version that inspired the original meaning of Americas First Amendment. "Religion" implied 'culture'. Any government permitted to favor OR disfavor particular cultures, religions, or languages, are to me, indifferent to the most MONO_theocratic or MULTI-theocratic systems that clothe themselves today as 'culture'. Culture for me is peoples VOLUNTARY sets of behaviors they should have permission to have without force that our system operates on. But when you are IN those 'favored' groups, you interpret everything as 'loving' and 'compassionate' simply because the very system supporting culture is coinciding with your own.

I hope to see you participate personally where you can to understand your own reasoning on this.

Scott.

ScottMayers @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Thankyou,

N_Fiddledog, "Hopefully you'll prove me wrong."

I'll be trying.

CDN_Patriot, Andrea who?

P.S. I prefer writing in American English. I had my first years of spelling in the U.S. elementary system of Virginia (Washington D.C. metro). So for the patriots of spelling, please don't take insult.

N_Fiddledog @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:43 pm

$1:
I hope to see you participate personally where you can to understand your own reasoning on this.

Thanks. I think we all hope to one day be a smart as you seem to think you are.

I am having a little problem with what you appear to be trying to say.

A famous Andrew Breitbart quote says Politics is downstream from culture - meaning politics is affected by culture.

You appear to be saying Culture is downstream from Politics - meaning politics picks and chooses the culture it allows to advance.

So which is it? A little bit of both, maybe?

What I have the biggest problem with though is what appears to be unsaid. You appear to believe you have the answer to what qualities are preferred in politics and culture and you're not happy with bits of politically approved culture from the past. I heard you use the word "progress." When all the parts of your proposal get spread out onto the table is that going to mean that the bits of socially acceptable culture approved by the "Progressive" understanding of social justice should represent the new "favored groups?"

Or are you proposing eliminating all influence of any culture - politically correct - or other from all politics. Do you have a plan on how that might be accomplished or is it more a "wouldn't it be nice" kind of thing.

Give us some spoilers. :wink:

BartSimpson @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:48 pm

Welcome aboard Scott! [BB]

Tricks @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:45 pm

ScottMayers ScottMayers:
P.S. I prefer writing in American English. I had my first years of spelling in the U.S. elementary system of Virginia (Washington D.C. metro). So for the patriots of spelling, please don't take insult.

Request, ease up on the capitals and bolding for emphasis. It's not really needed to that degree, we can get your point with out it.

BartSimpson @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Request, ease up on the CAPITALS and bolding for emphasis. It's not really needed to that degree, we can get your point with out it.

FTFY. [B-o]

Tricks @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:14 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Tricks Tricks:
Request, ease up on the CAPITALS and bolding for emphasis. It's not really needed to that degree, we can get your point with out it.

FTFY. [B-o]

:lol:

THANKS Bart

Maybe it's just me, but that drives me bonkers. More the capitals than anything. It's such a strange way of writing.

BartSimpson @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:33 pm

[BB]

(I also agree with you on the writing style. I suspect Scott's around my age or maybe older judging by his writing style.

A lot of us older folks suffer from a condition that makes the caps lock and the bold, italics, and underline functions damned near irresistible. It's like catnip to a cat!

Oh, and if provoked we'll send you emails (not pm's mind you) that you'd share with "ALL OF YOUR'E FRIEND'S IF YOU REALLY LOVE THEM!"

8)

BartSimpson @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Oh, almost forgot. Scott is the real deal (but not terribly original in his first post on a forum) and he's been around the net for a while so be nice to him! [B-o]

https://forum.philosophynow.org/viewtopic.php?t=16142

$1:
I'm Canadian-born and partially American raised but prefer non-National designations. I'm both partially educated and self-taught in almost every area to a never-ending degree. Philosophically, I'm non-theist, a "gnostic" atheist (meaning I now 'know' and can argue against traditional religious beliefs with certainty), and yet agnostic in my approach (a skeptic practice). I'm already familiar with a few forums, especially, skepticforum.com (Skeptic Magazine's forum), that uses the same phpBB software to which I am most comfortable with.

I love science and philosophy but am just as skeptical of aspects of both and hope that you appreciate the depths I go into. So, if you prefer succinctness, I always recommend Twitter to those who may complain of this.

I already tried to post on another subject to start but the site timed out on me and my whole post is lost. This is one thing I didn't expect since the skepticforum.com site keeps me online when I'm online posting. So this is my first post here.

I'm looking forward to discussing and debating here.

Scott.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:55 pm

ScottMayers ScottMayers:
CDN_Patriot, Andrea who?

Thought you were NDP? [huh]

Oh well. Just trying to start off with something funny, but it might have zipped past you. Here's hoping to a long stay in these forums! [B-o]

-J.

Tricks @ Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
ScottMayers ScottMayers:
CDN_Patriot, Andrea who?

Thought you were NDP? [huh]

Oh well. Just trying to start off with something funny, but it might have zipped past you. Here's hoping to a long stay in these forums! [B-o]

-J.

He's from Sask, he may not know Ontario politics.

1  2  Next