Canada Kicks Ass
may need some help with this

1  2  3  Next

johnnieb @ Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi everyone (anyone?)

I am not a youngster who is able to navigate this technology with the greatest of ease. I am hoping to open a discussion that will offer feedback to what I am doing with my "post retirement". I am interested in getting honest feedback from as many Canadians as I can.

Strutz @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:47 am

Hello and welcome to cka.

I see that you are a retired teacher. Any particular subject/level that you taught in? Something that you could turn into a hobby or volunteer position?

johnnieb @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:06 am

Hello Strutz. Thank you for the reply (and the welcome!). I was getting lonely out here wondering if this was a waste of my time.

Over the course of my career I have done K - 12 for every subject area imaginable (yes, industrial arts too...but NOT culinary arts! I can easily burn water)

I have spent my life in the service of others, with no regrets. Some of it was paid service, some was volunteer. It's all good.

My latest "project", reason-for-being, venture, you may call it whatever you wish, is altruistic in nature but I hope to eventually earn some income to supplement my reduced pension (due to my taking early retirement to pursue this).

As I mentioned in my introduction post, I am looking for honest feedback from as many Canadians as I can reach for what I am doing. Unfortunately, in describing what I have on the horizon, it will also involve what appears to be deliberate self promotion. If I am being honest, that would be the secondary goal for using a discussion forum.

As I am a "newbie", and do not know my way around yet, any guidance would be appreciated.

housewife @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 am

Hi Johnnieb

johnnieb @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:19 am

Hello Housewife. Are you interested in hearing about my latest project? I could use the feedback I receive from as many Canadians as I can get.

BartSimpson @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:31 am

Welcome aboard! [B-o]

So what are you doing? Care to tell us about it or is it illegal? :D

martin14 @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:42 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Welcome aboard! [B-o]

So what are you doing? Care to tell us about it or is it illegal? :D

He has an online magazine he is trying to promote,
so of course he is trying to get around the spam rules. :lol:

He is busy crapping on the other site as well.

$1:
President "Twitter" these days? This site, for all of the possible help it may have given me, appears to be a more of a meeting place for internet junkies who are quite comfortable with the safety and anonymity the internet affords them tha a place for valuable discussions. As Your President Trumpsky would say..."So SAD!"

johnnieb @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Hello Martin 14! "Crapping on other sites as well" ... you certainly are a wordsmith. Not exactly the words I would have used, but to each his own. Your quote did use my words, although it failed to provide any background...if you read the "discussion" I had on the other site (you obviously read some), you would have read a sincere attempt at discussion met with mockery. As for trying to get around the spam rules, I am not trying to get around them. I will not "self promote" if that does in fact break the rules in play. I am simply interested in what others think so I can improve my "project". To answer BartSimpson, no, it is not illegal. I am publishing a magazine (digital, free, and "G" rated) with a never before attempted business model. I will leave it at that for now.

llama66 @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:39 pm

johnnieb johnnieb:
Hello Martin 14! "Crapping on other sites as well" ... you certainly are a wordsmith. Not exactly the words I would have used, but to each his own. Your quote did use my words, although it failed to provide any background...if you read the "discussion" I had on the other site (you obviously read some), you would have read a sincere attempt at discussion met with mockery. As for trying to get around the spam rules, I am not trying to get around them. I will not "self promote" if that does in fact break the rules in play. I am simply interested in what others think so I can improve my "project". To answer BartSimpson, no, it is not illegal. I am publishing a magazine (digital, free, and "G" rated) with a never before attempted business model. I will leave it at that for now.

must.... fight..... urge... to.... chew.....

johnnieb @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Ha! Llamma66, I glanced at your profile and I read that your interests include chewing on trolls...NOW I get the the post! Funny, and to be fair, I had to look up "internet troll" to realize that I am not one. If this is a site that does not indulge in serious discussion/questions, that's fine. Can anyone direct me to one that does? The magazine I am attempting to publish is designed for Canadians (anyone will be able to access it), so a discussion forum site that attracts Canadians is prefered.

BartSimpson @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:00 pm

johnnieb johnnieb:
Ha! Llamma66, I glanced at your profile and I read that your interests include chewing on trolls...NOW I get the the post! Funny, and to be fair, I had to look up "internet troll" to realize that I am not one.

LLama is a RIOT! You should hang out and read his stuff! Hell, pay him to contribute to your magazine!

johnnieb johnnieb:
If this is a site that does not indulge in serious discussion/questions, that's fine. Can anyone direct me to one that does?

You're asking us to tell you where to go?

:lol:

johnnieb johnnieb:
The magazine I am attempting to publish is designed for Canadians (anyone will be able to access it), so a discussion forum site that attracts Canadians is prefered.

How about you post some complete articles here and link them to your magazine. If anyone's interested they'll follow the links.

We've had a few folks do that in the past and so long as it's all Canadian content and free then it would be fine according to the forum rules and accepted traditions. :wink:

johnnieb @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Hello BartSimpson. The reason that I am doing this "on my own" is quite simple (a little snapshot of the business model), the magazine I will publish, although free in every regard, is designed to generate revenue BUT...the revenue is then given away to Canadian charities and public schools (as decided by the readership).

I have been working this idea for a long time and now that I am retired, I have the time to pursue it. I'm not doing this to line MY pockets, I just want to somehow help our underfunded public schools and registered charities.

llama66 @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 pm

I just have a chewing problem. What about unregistered charities? Like the Order of Benevolent Llamas?

johnnieb @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Me too (dentures ya know!)

housewife @ Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:17 pm

johnnieb johnnieb:
Hello Housewife. Are you interested in hearing about my latest project? I could use the feedback I receive from as many Canadians as I can get.

Sure why not

1  2  3  Next