Canada Kicks Ass
The Last Drop-Book being written-Canada vs US-JTF2vsDelta

fitter1981 @ Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi all;

I'm writing my first book. I'm about half way through now and have taken a bit of a break. I'm shooting for 400 pages.
The premise is this; the US is rapidly running out of water and rogue American politicians and military personnel are determined to acquire our water utilizing political, economical, and military might. What's different? It's unauthorized by the American government! Nobody in Canada or the US knows about the war except a few politicos in the US and Canada and highly-placed business people (on both sides of the border) who would benefit from an unending supply of cheap water.
Enter some ex-JTF2 troopers who are financed by a lottery winner and have the backing and support of other international groups who aren't particularily liked by the US. Our motley crew are are determined to prevent this at all costs - including taking the fight to the US; on American soil. I think this would be a lethal recipe for intrigue/treachery.

What do you think?

Cheers

Streaker @ Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:34 pm

Sounds like a cool book, fitter1981. There's definitely a niche market in Canada for this kind of story. Come to think of it, it could be more than a niche market. Richard Rohmer wrote books like yours in the 70s and 80s which were bestsellers. At any rate it's the kind of story I would probably enjoy reading! :)

Maybe the JTF2 guys should be financed by someone or something other than a "lottery winner" though, IMHO. To me that bit sounds a little goofy...no offence intended!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how the book is shaping up! :D

fitter1981 @ Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:03 am

Thanks for the input Freaker.

As a military man, I read Gen Rohmer's books many moons ago but couldn't really relate to his premise. Also, he wasn't gritty enough for me. He and I come from different ends of the establishment spectrum and to paraphrase one of the poets, "And never (seldom) the twain shall meet."

Also, I should have expanded on the lottery winner - it was just "seed" money and the person who won is intertwined with one one the main characters. Other money followed, from different sources, as a result of successes.

Cheers

Rev_Blair @ Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:31 am

My only advice is to very careful with the research end of it. There's been a lot of non-fiction written about water resources and, as evidenced by many, many threads at this site, a lot of people have a lot of ideas about how a fight between our countries would go.

It sounds like a good premise though. I know I'd buy it.

fitter1981 @ Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:45 pm

Hi Rev_Blair

Just thought you'd like to know - a chunk of the action takes place in Winnipeg.

Cheers

Rev_Blair @ Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:53 pm

A chunk of the action always takes place in Winnipeg...it's that kind of town. :D