Canada Kicks Ass
Are you ever teased aboat your Canadian accent?

Previous  1  2  3  Next

Strutz @ Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:20 pm

raydan raydan:
Strange that you both have an "oot" in your user name... coincidence, I think not. 8O

:lol:

8O

Spooky!

shockedcanadian @ Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:28 pm

I haven't been bothered by an American for my accent, though more than one have thought I was from North Carolina for some reason when I worked in corporate sales contacting American businesses. Also, I've had a few laughs of disbelief (while in New Orleans) and they fell short of making Canadian jokes. I have also met Canadians who thought I was American for whatever reason, including some in Quebec who shouted "USA! USA!" at me (can't make this up).

Recently, I have had threats of physical violence against me for whistling the American anthem in Canada. When I whistled it louder in response, the threat subsided. Ironically, my mother also gave me an earful when I whistled the U.S anthem as a young kid, she told me I would "not be allowed to whistle any other countries anthem in her house" she became so angry at me which was out of her character I remember it to this day. How she would view me with some amusement now as I haven't changed my ways :) In fact,I am more pro-American than many Americans. In all of the imperfect systems of the world, I believe their system is least imperfect.

As SheperdsDog said, most Canadians I know don't speak excessively "Canadian". Maybe some people from Newfoundland or the NWT might sound more extremely different. Even when I visited New Brunswich and Nova Scotia, I didn't notice an extreme difference in accent, though it was more evident.

Walkoot @ Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:29 pm

Exactly what would my agenda be for being here if I was a troll? making a little thread about our canadian accent does not cut it as trolling in my books. If I wanted to troll I'd be in the political section of this site starting up crap.

herbie @ Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:29 pm

The ex said oot n' aboot.
Her family were boat people from Scotland. They just moved here cuz it was wet and miserable like Scotland but has lower taxes on booze.
The Ontarian thing I notice a lot is "wear"
We wear out for dinner when you called.
Instead of we whir out.

Walkoot @ Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:45 pm

I don't think we realize how Canadian our accents are until we leave the country. I was teased relentlessly for my Canadian accent in the states.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:55 pm

Well I've spent several years overseas living and working in Africa and east Asia working with English speakers from all across the English speaking world. Never once was my accent pointed out as 'Canadian' nor my nationality ascertained by the way I spoke English. The Kiwis, Aussies, Limeys and South Africans couldn't differentiate us from the Americans, except for those from more southern regions of the US. The only CanadianismI ever heard was an older fellow from Regina who pronounced theater as THEE ATE ER and guarantee as GAR ON TEE.

bootlegga @ Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:19 pm

When I lived in Asia, most people, including Americans couldn't tell I was from Canada unless I said 'eh'. Japanese people always thought I was American unless I had a maple leaf on my bag or I told them.

Frankly, I didn't think I said it all that much, but I sure noticed how much my friends and family said it when I came back.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:30 pm

May Gwo ren! Alllll the time.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:39 pm

Yep, when I was living in Minnesota I was regularly ragged on (playfully, mind you) about how I said out, about, progress, process, among other words.

Even in Canada I can hear a bit of a difference in the pronunciation of "out" and "about". Some areas they clearly sound like "owt" and "abowt". Other areas it's not so much an "oo" sound as the "o" and "u" get pronounced separately but quickly and fluidly as one sound.
In other areas, they sound more like "oat and "aboat".

DrCaleb @ Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:11 am

I game most nights with a bunch of Canucks and Americans. Usually is doesn't come up, unless there is a new member with us. Then the eastern Canadian vs western Canadian accents seem to freak them out.

Like Shep pointed out, words like 'theater', 'milk' or 'laugh'. They are different east to west!

When that happens, and we've had lots to drink, we usually descend into a contest as to who can do the most outlandish accents. We'll have a Schwartzenegger or two, Batmen (Keaton, Bale and Afflek), a Captain Jack Sparrow, and two or three Brits. One guy does a pretty good 'Donald Trump' too. Good fun!

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:22 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I game most nights with a bunch of Canucks and Americans. Usually is doesn't come up, unless there is a new member with us. Then the eastern Canadian vs western Canadian accents seem to freak them out.

Like Shep pointed out, words like 'theater', 'milk' or 'laugh'. They are different east to west!

When that happens, and we've had lots to drink, we usually descend into a contest as to who can do the most outlandish accents. We'll have a Schwartzenegger or two, Batmen (Keaton, Bale and Afflek), a Captain Jack Sparrow, and two or three Brits. One guy does a pretty good 'Donald Trump' too. Good fun!

Way back when I was driving taxi in Windsor, we had a driver on the night shift who was a blast. He could do a variety of voices and every night he picked a different character to speak like whenever he was on the radio.
One night he was John Wayne, another night he was Sulu. One particularly funny night he played Rev. Jim from Taxi. But he'd do accents and stuff too. One night he was a proper English chauffeur. I think his funniest character though was his retired French-Canadian male stripper, which he usually saved for the garage or anywhere you could see the visuals that were part of the act.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:40 am

ROTFL

"French-Canadian male stripper" over Teamspeak. I am so totally going to steal that one!

Walkoot @ Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:56 am

is anyone else afraid or very hesitant to say "about" in front of Americans? :|

Public_Domain @ Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:25 pm

No.

Robair @ Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:58 pm

I may owe Rayden an apology

Previous  1  2  3  Next