Canada Kicks Ass
Broadcasting in Canada?

Previous  1  2

robert_fisher @ Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:44 am

Rev, being from Winnepeg, you'd also probably know first hand that there are tons of artists suffering there, such as the ones on G7 Welcomming Comittee that get no radio play, and no adverstising budgets! <br /> <br />RIP - Warsawpack!

Reverend Blair @ Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:26 pm

Yeah...it's really bad, actually. Mrs. Rev used to work with a guy from Ten Engine X or however they manage the roman numerals. Not my kind of music, but pretty popular locally. They get $100 or $200 for a night...for the entire band. <br /> <br />Meanwhile Burton Cummings shows up at a bar and they give him $100 worth of beer on the house, and all he does is sit in a chair and pinch the waitress.

robert_fisher @ Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:10 pm

<a href="http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/october2004/291004hurtingamerica.htm">Sad when only comedians are saying what we all think!</a> <br /> <br />Ok...I'd like to change the topic to: <br /> <br />"The Media. Our biggest problem, how can Canadians fight back through our own industry?" <br /> <br />I think that a lot of people will agree that it is the media that 'convinces' people to vote or act a certain way, and no amount of intelect can escape it. <br /> <br />What do you think?

Dr Caleb @ Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:49 pm

I think that link was excellent! Great interview! "No, I will not be your buttmonkey" nearly caused me to tip me chair over. <br /> <br />I have to agree, the media always has (even since Front Page Challenge) directed questions to get the answers they want. <br /> <br />

robert_fisher @ Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:21 pm

It is funny though how bad it actually is! Nobody seems to think that 'they' can be manipulated. I live in Toronto, just outside of downtown. Now there's Dundas Square, right across from the infamous Eaton Centre. This space is dedicated to outdoor performances, basketball tourneys, sitting and enjoying the fountain etc. Over the past four or five months I would say, there have been an increasing number of billboards, and video screens. It looks worse than Times Square. Yet, we have a Mayor who says it's great for the city, the advertising revenues are fantastic! Also our city is now planning on implementing a new garbabge can system, where the cans themselves have ads on them. We already have a system like this, but the new cans would be 6ft tall, hold less garbage, and be powered, with video screens and ads that light up. <br /> <br />Well my question is when does it stop? <br /> <br />The city, the country, is becoming reliant on advertising funds to run all aspects of govenment. Does this not mean that company's (corporations if you will) have a lot more power than we think? <br /> <br />If you trace every problem, I mean every problem, it traces back to international business! I play this game with my girlfriend, she names a problem and I play six-degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon, to link that problem back to industry. It's really easy, I encourage you all to play. You'll find also that it's usually more like two-degrees. <br /> <br />This election, although I am as sick of talking about it as hearing about it, is the perfect example of media manipulation. It is funny that Clinton was impeached for screwing around, something that I bet a lot of Vive readers in their 'darkest/best' moments are guilty of! Now, however, 100,000 dead, no Weapons of Mass Destruciton, no one blinks an eye. Why, because, not one network (Fox), not two networks (Fox, CNN), but all the networks, have flipped from being anti anti anti Clinton, to pro pro pro pro Bush. The additional pro for emphasis! <br /> <br />I love Oost's posts on this site, because they are so heated, it's like he feels the need to bash people over the head with what he knows. I agree with him though. Strong counteraction is what we need. There are also members of Vive, that are naive, who think that they know it all because they read all the papers. I don't condemn you! Neither do most of the anti-media posters. Why? <br /> <br />My dad read the Toronto Star/Kitchener Record everyday at the supper table. He was so proHarris, anti teachers it wasn't even funny. I don't fault him, nor do I fault my step mother for not believing our Heatlh Care system could go private. It's what we are told, and like I have said before in this site it is what we are fed. My parents are both educated hard working, honest people, who want nothing more than a comfortable retirement and a good life for their families, as the majorioty of us want. They live their lives but, should not have to counter balance the news papers with other sources to form an opinion that is correct and accurate. <br /> <br />I have been told by friends what do you expect the papers and tv stations and ad companies are privately owned: get used to it. This is something I cannot stand for. Until the papers and ad companies start telling people that they are partisan, we are doomed to not know. <br /> <br />"I work for the paper, I have never been told what to write or say" -- that's because they like what you write and say. <br /> <br />What this all boils down to is that there is no left-media to counterbalance all of the propaganda. That's why Vive is so great, and I thank the people who started it! A place where Candians interested in Canada can openly discuss an article and break it down to the facts that the reporter originally gathered. <br /> <br />"What are the historical accomplishments of your race that makes you proud to be white? Capitalism? Slavery? Genocide? Sitcoms? Guns? War? Pollution? Addiction? NAFTA? Thigh Master? This is your f------ white history my friend. Let's make history worth fighting for and start fighting the real f------ enemy!" <br /> <br />-a proud Canadian. <br /> <br />Sorry for the profanity as I know some readers are adverse to it, but I feel very strongly about this and I thought the emphasis was necessary. <br /> <br /> <br />

Previous  1  2