Canada Kicks Ass
(critics needed ;)

Kory Yamashita @ Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:26 pm

Kevin, I think you should make it more concise and clear. Or maybe your local newspaper will run letters that long. ?!?! That also might put more emphasis on specific ideas. I guess the thing is that you want to appeal to people who already think positively of the conservatives with this letter, so you should focus in on the key points. Otherwise, people will say "oh just some anti-conservative letter". But if you focus on actual arguments (Stephen Harper's views are unknown), then it's more likely to convince someone who's fence-sitting right now. Also, if you critisize actual facts (like the fact that Harper won't identify his specific views on healthcare, education, what form of US integration he supports, etc) then your brother's girlfriend will have less basis to get mad at you right? </P> I hope that all sounds constructive, because I really like your arguments here. You touch on a lot of important points and I support what you're saying completely here.

KevinGagnon @ Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:09 pm

Thanks Kory. That's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. The letter being as long as it is, isn't exactly an issue. I've done long letters like this before, they just give me a big space to myself ;) However, I will try to do some changes based on your suggestion. I like the idea of giving less basis for conservatives to get mad at my points.

Kevin

Kory Yamashita @ Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:18 pm

Yeah, people tend to respond negatively to criticism of their political/religious ideologies ;)

4Canada @ Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:46 pm

Kevin, I'm glad you're taking the initiative to write letters to your local paper. My only advice on writing letters or writing in general is to read what you have written out loud. Sometimes it's easier to HEAR when I've said something twice or I could put two statements into one and give the whole piece more punch. I agree with Kory about the points you are making. They are valid and noteworthy.

whelan costen @ Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:48 pm

Kevin, I know your newspaper will give you the space, but if it's too long than you tend to lose the reader. That is a risk you take with lengthy letters. Also I agree with Kory, try to highlight your points, in your intro, then expand on it in the body, and close with a punch to tie it up. Your ideas are great, just try to be more to the point, also not sure if this is important, but if you are going public with your view I think it is better to use Mr. when refering to Mulroney or Harper, even if you don't personally feel they warrant a title. It just shows good manners on your part. Just an idea...