Canada Kicks Ass
Did ET phone home ?

1  2  Next

Zenfisher @ Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:00 pm

Reuters

Is there anybody out there?

polemarch1 @ Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:08 pm

Hopefully there is. But then again. If the signal was sent by an alien race who's to say there still alive. With the time it takes for the signal to reach us (assuming it is aliens) then it is quit possable that there race has died off for anynumber of reason's (like there sun going boom. nova, or supernova it's called). Still it is interesting.

DMP08 @ Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:46 pm

The US send out a sattelite that plays songs (launched in the 70's I think). Just like if an e.t. race picks the signal up, we may have already blown our planet to sh*t.

But there HAS to be something out there. Our sun is just one star. When you look up at night, all those stars could have planets orbiting around them and to think only our planet have life, of any sort, is not right.

What are peoples opinions on is there, or not, life "out there"

Gonzo @ Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:37 pm

I doubt it. All these alien abductions is bull. If aliens wanted DNA samples from humans, why, out of all the people in the world, would they abduct fat middle aged housewives from a trailer in small town U.S.A? Anyone on t.v who claimes to be abducted looks like the family tree doesn't branch off.
They started sending off messages into deep space in the 70's I think. The planet will be long destroyed (at the rate we're going now) by the time any other species out there will get the message.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:56 pm

$1:
If aliens wanted DNA samples from humans, why, out of all the people in the world, would they abduct fat middle aged housewives from a trailer in small town U.S.A?

Hey, everybody has fetishes...why would aliens be any different?

:lol:

I really doubt aliens have bothered to come here too, Gonzo. There's physics and economics and just the fact that, all things considered, we're pretty damned dull. That and Whitley Streiber's books really sucked after he decided he was an abuctee....

This is a radio signal though. A possible cry of, "Is there anybody out there?" Not that different from what we've been doing. Just the kind of space travel that is possible for our peers.

I don't know if it is real, but I'm hoping....

Zenfisher @ Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:16 am

What if there is so much chatter out there...All we're getting is a busy signal? 8O :D Supposed alien abductions are not only a North American phenomenon ... They have been reported in other countries as well. There was one out in Falcon Lake (Mb.)in the mid sixties. I never did hear if it was a hoax or not.

Rev_Blair @ Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:00 am

I can't remember the guy's name, Zen, but it wasn't a hoax. A man prospecting for gold saw something, suffered radiation burns and sickness, and it was all very well documented. I don't believe aliens are visiting earth, but he did see something and was exposed to radiation.

Gonzo @ Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:01 am

Some people still think crop circles are a sign from aliens, even though it has been proven to be a hoax. I'd like to believe that there is life on other planets. Maybe if scientest can prove that this signal is realy from out there, then earth would spend it's money on space exploration instead of war.

Rev_Blair @ Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:43 am

Not all crop circles have been proven to be hoaxes, Gonzo. The intricate ones have been mostly debunked, but a lot of the simpler ones remain unexplained. That kind of points to some sort of natural phenomenon.

polemarch1 @ Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:32 pm

$1:
Maybe if scientest can prove that this signal is realy from out there, then earth would spend it's money on space exploration instead of war.

Who says that space exploration negates war? Nations (or groups of nations) could go to war over resources in space. If colonies where established on other worlds they could make a try at independance. And who's to say that if there or other intelligent life out there who's to say they wouldn't be hostile towards us or a misunderstanding lead to war?

sk1d @ Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:13 pm

sorry to burst your alien conspiracy theories but it turned out to be nothing.....or is that what they're just telling us? Think mulder and scully would be interested?

BBC News

Zenfisher @ Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:44 pm

Thanks sk1d...still it is interesting to speculate.

Rev... This was a couple that was hypnotized by a shrink circa 1967. You might be thinking of a different incident.

Rev_Blair @ Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:13 am

It is a different one then, Zen. The one I'm thinking of is pretty famous though, and happened in the same area.

DMP08 @ Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:47 am

$1:
It was reported on the internet that the signal had been found using the Seti@home screensaver that uses computer downtime to analyse sky data from telescopes.

So you download this program and while you aren't using your computer giant telescopes use your computer's processing power? How does this all work, like what does it do?

sk1d @ Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:08 pm

It's a program that comes on when you aren't using your computer like a screensaver. It downloads information from the SETI project, analyzes it and then sends the information back to them.
This way instead of them taking forever to anaylze all the data, you get millions of people to do it for you.

SETI @ Home

1  2  Next