Canada Kicks Ass
Do you hear your Canadian accent?

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Coldootside @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Many Canadians don't realize they speak any different than Americans (general american) but the Canadian accent is actually fairly pronounced. Words like "out" "about" come out sort of like oat and aboat because of "Canadian Raising". There are other giveaway words like "sorry" and "bagel" ect that expose the accent and a bit of a different intonation too. Do you notice?

I was oblivious to this at first but the more I started to listen to it the more I could hear it.

Brenda @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 pm

I think every Canadian knows this and takes pride in it.

jj2424 @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Did you get bored with City Data Forum?

Coldootside @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:51 pm

[list=][/list]

jj2424 jj2424:
Did you get bored with City Data Forum?

What? 8O

Coldootside @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Brenda Brenda:

lol honestly there's plenty that vehemently deny it. I guess they don't really tune in to it so they can't hear it. Some are a little shy aboat it

Brenda @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Coldootside Coldootside:
Brenda Brenda:

lol honestly there's plenty that vehemently deny it. I guess they don't really tune in to it so they can't hear it. Some are a little shy aboat it

Maybe they just have more important shit to worry about.

PluggyRug @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:59 pm

No....I'm English. It is rather difficult to say aboot with a stiff upper lip. :D

sandorski @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:08 pm

I know I have one, but don't notice it. The whole "aboot" thing has always puzzled me. Perhaps it's just an exaggeration of how we say it in comparison to others?

When I cross the border into Washington State, I immediately hear the difference and so do they. It's rather strange how a thin line of separation can have such an affect.

raydan @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:45 pm

My accent is more like Pepé Le Pew's. :D

jj2424 @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:56 pm

I find "aboot" to be an eastern thing.

Just like the r in "MRRRRRRRRRRch break" or "goin out to the baRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Vamp018 @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Eh, some of us with US NE WI roots speak and been accused of having Canadian dialect. We still cant speak Canuk French worth a dam :mrgreen:

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:03 pm

I've spent quite a few years overseas working with various other Anglo nationalities, and I notice that some Canadians have a slight accent. The stereotypical Canadian accent that the Americans go on about is more commonly heard in Wisconsin and Minnesota. South Africans could sometimes be difficult to place, as there are differences between the way English South Africans and Dutch South Africans speak. I grew up in Victoria and in SW Manitoba, and I have always pronounced and heard about and out pronounced as uh bowt and owt. Tour was pronounced toor, not tore. Mind you my older in laws here in Saskatchewan say gar un tee(guarantee) and Thee AY ter(theater).

Coldootside @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:03 pm

sandorski sandorski:
I know I have one, but don't notice it. The whole "aboot" thing has always puzzled me. Perhaps it's just an exaggeration of how we say it in comparison to others?

When I cross the border into Washington State, I immediately hear the difference and so do they. It's rather strange how a thin line of separation can have such an affect.

Oh it's definitely not aboot.. Much closer to "aboat". Aboot is an exaggeration

Coldootside @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:06 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
I've spent quite a few years overseas working with various other Anglo nationalities, and I notice that some Canadians have a slight accent. The stereotypical Canadian accent that the Americans go on about is more commonly heard in Wisconsin and Minnesota. South Africans could sometimes be difficult to place, as there are differences between the way English South Africans and Dutch South Africans speak. I grew up in Victoria and in SW Manitoba, and I have always pronounced and heard about and out pronounced uh bowt and owt. Tour was pronounced toor, not tore. Mind you my older in laws here in Saskatchewan say gar un tee(guarantee) and Thee AY ter(theater).

The stereotypical Canadian accent is more Ontarian actually. The accent of the upper Midwest is drastically different than Canadian and more Swedish- German influenced.

raydan @ Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Never heard any Anglo pronoucing "about" as "aboot" or "aboat".

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next