Canada Kicks Ass
Go Flames Go!

whelan costen @ Thu May 20, 2004 12:03 am

Yes it is nice to see a Canadian team in for the long haul! Hopefully they will succeed...it's been awhile for Calgary, but they seem to be ready for the fight! It was nice to hear all the fans singing the National Anthem tonight at the game in Calgary! Ahh a little patriotism, so refreshing! :D

KevinGagnon @ Thu May 20, 2004 5:00 am

That's what you got to love about Canada. People across Canada are cheering on the Calgary Flames. I know of some people who don't watch hockey but their paying attention cause Calgary is where they are.

What amazes me is how Calgary had just made it into the playoffs by 1 or 2 points. Their one of the lowest pay roll teams. Yet their playing like they were the best team in the regular season.

I would not dought it if CBC ratings are up right now as poeple watch this Calgary team.

Kevin

Dr Caleb @ Thu May 20, 2004 7:30 am

Yup I cheer for ABC. (Anybody But Calgary). But since all the other Canadian teams are gone, I figure at least one Alberta team is there. Might as well cheer for Calgary!<p> Pretty good series against the Sharks too!<p>

KevinGagnon @ Thu May 20, 2004 9:10 am

Hey it will be the first cup for a Canadian team in 11 years. It will also be Calgary's first cup since 1989, not to mention the last time they made it to the playoffs was in 1996.

Personally I've always cheered for the underdog team. Base on season stats Calgary really shouldn't be where they are in the playoffs. They have a payroll of 24 million which is like around 40 million less then the big teams who all had a better season then Calgary. This is good for hockey cause it will hopefully teach those clubs that put so much money into the team and don't win a cup. Its time they realize you need a team not high payroll players.

Calgary's highest paying player is Iginla who I hear actually settled for less money to stay in Calgary. If he went out into the open market he could have got more. Although he still is overpaid ;)

In my opinion pay roll should be based on performance. Think about this. Some players this year got 8 million dollars to play for the season. These same 8 million dollar players never made the playoffs. Yet they still got paid. Then you have players getting paid a million or less who are playing for Calgary and who play their hearts out every game.

Hockey needs to get back to its roots where it was about hockey and not money. Sure players should make a career wage in hockey, but 8 or 10 million dollars a year is just ridiculous. I say salary caps and bonuses based on performance. A player would have to play good to get paid more. The way its set up now they play good one year to get that big contract then they play like crap once they have the big contract.

Go Flames Go!

Kevin

N Say @ Thu May 20, 2004 9:40 am

They're not Canada's team, but I'll go for them because they're the closest thing I've got to a home team.

Dr Caleb @ Thu May 20, 2004 9:53 am

[QUOTE BY= KevinGagnon]The way its set up now they play good one year to get that big contract then they play like crap once they have the big contract. [/QUOTE] *Cough* *mikecomrie* *Cough*<p> I wholly agree. Why should these people get paid more than a Doctor - to play a game?<p> That's why racing is my sport. It's a team effort, and if the team wins, they get paid. If they lose, try next week.<p>

NNNA @ Fri May 21, 2004 2:18 pm

I'll take the Flames over Tampa Bay in five, Flames over the Flyers in six. :mrgreen:

KevinGagnon @ Fri May 21, 2004 3:08 pm

Welcome to Vive NNNA

I like your predictions ;)

Go Flames Go!

Kevin