Canada Kicks Ass
How Much Range You Need in Your EV

bootlegga @ Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:58 am

How Much Range You Need in Your EV
Range involves more than how far you drive

$1:
So you’re ready to take the electric car plunge. You’ve researched makes and models, and you understand the ins and outs of charging an EV.

One thing you might not have thought about is range. For first-time buyers, range may sound like a distance-only thing, but it’s about much more than that. Analyzing the way you drive, plus where and in what types of weather, will help you determine the best range for your needs.

Here are five things to wrap your head around when it comes to range.

Car and Driver Tips to Cruise By

Are You a Road Tripper or Commuter?

The People and Cargo Factor

What’s Your Plan for Parking and Charging?

The Weather Factor Is a Real Thing

More info here: https://www.lifewire.com/how-much-range ... ev-5202086

PluggyRug @ Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:33 pm

Some more info here...

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/ ... FEB_1_2022

herbie @ Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:35 pm

There's tons of videos about winter EV driving and road tripping.
Even though 'road tripping' in an RV is pretty moronic.

One guy in Saskatchewan's video showed his Tesla interior warming to +25 in a few minutes, something I swear it takes a Wrangler hours to do... drove just as well in the snow... didn't eat as much gas as a school bus... at -30 still had enough charge to go 200+ km...

yeah they're just awful. I'll wait until the range is better. just like I waited until smokes were $1 a pack to quit {/sarcasm]
(like I quit a few years ago when when I realized that what I spent on smokes could equal monthly payment on a damn Tesla...)

bootlegga @ Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:05 pm

herbie herbie:
There's tons of videos about winter EV driving and road tripping.
Even though 'road tripping' in an RV is pretty moronic.

One guy in Saskatchewan's video showed his Tesla interior warming to +25 in a few minutes, something I swear it takes a Wrangler hours to do... drove just as well in the snow... didn't eat as much gas as a school bus... at -30 still had enough charge to go 200+ km...

yeah they're just awful. I'll wait until the range is better. just like I waited until smokes were $1 a pack to quit {/sarcasm]
(like I quit a few years ago when when I realized that what I spent on smokes could equal monthly payment on a damn Tesla...)

The key here is that range is affected by all five factors the article notes, not just the outside temperature.

How many people are in your vehicle, if it's fully loaded with camping/fishing gear, if you run the heater/AC, how you drive (drive like a jerk and your battery runs down faster), etc.

A charge of 200+ km doesn't get me anywhere fun in Alberta (Red Deer doesn't count) - it means at least one, probably two stops to recharge for 30 - 60 minutes each time. That adds significantly to travel time. It's already a 4 hour drive to Banff for me, with an EV it's going to add almost 50% more travel time.

There's also the cost - it's hard to convince someone to shell out $70K for a Tesla Y or other third row EV, when they can get an Explorer or Durango for $50K.

EVs are getting better every year, and are just fine of you're only driving around town, going to work shopping, etc., but I don't see them being able to replace most families bigger vehicle just yet.

I want an EV eventually, but so far there is nothing affordable on the market that meets our needs. That is changing though as most manufacturers are going to go all electric in the next decade or so.