Canada Kicks Ass
Is The Metric System Actually Better?

1  2  Next

bootlegga @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:16 am

Just in case there is any doubt...

DrCaleb @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:39 am

I'm surprised this is even still a question. Prof. du Sautoy did a documentary a few years ago about this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02xbjmf

Simple answer back the was the same. It is more fair if things are based on standards that are easily reproducible. If the standard is based on the anatomy of the King, everything needs to be remeasured if there is a new King. And everyones' King has different sized feet, so across that imaginary line things are measured differently. Yes, United States, I am looking at you.

llama66 @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:27 pm

Strutz @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:40 pm

I like that chart! :lol:

I must admit that I find some everyday things are still easier to understand in imperial yet other things in metric. Weird how that works.

raydan @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:42 pm

Kilograms (mass) and pounds (weight) don't even measure the same thing.

DrCaleb @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:49 pm

raydan raydan:
Kilograms (mass) and pounds (weight) don't even measure the same thing.

They do if you are using one of those kitchen scales instead of a triple beam balance.

housewife @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:53 pm

That chart is perfect!!

llama66 @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:55 pm

Canadians use the Impetric system.

xerxes @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:08 pm

I post this whenever the question comes up.

bootlegga @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:41 pm

llama66 llama66:

That is pretty accurate, except for the pools part - only hotel pools (often part of big American chains) measure their pool temperatures in stupid Fahrenheit (about typically 85 degrees), most city run pools that I've seen around the country are measured in Celsius.

Thanos @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:49 pm

I heard from reliable sources that MAGA Americans want the inch renamed as the "toadstool" in honour of Trump. It was recently used that way in a civil trial deposition of Stormy Daniels....

Q: "How much was the former POSPOTUS packing, Ms. Daniels?"
A: "It was three toadstools long at most. And it smelled like bathroom mildew as well".
Q: "wOOt?"

herbie @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:31 pm

I hate the cooking measures. They're neither metric or Imperial. They're fucking AMERICAN
the ounces are different the cups different the quarts and gallons are different.

Should have 3 forks in the chart!

Had a young SaveOn employee ask me where she could find a gallon of milk for a lady. Told her about 500 miles south of the milk cooler...
then I was nice and pointed out that some ppl still call the 4L jugs 'gallons'

CDN_PATRIOT @ Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 pm

I use both metric and imperial, and can convert them as well. While imperial can be perplexing at times, it does work. Still, I like using both. I grew up at a time when metric was learned in schools, and imperial was used by my parents and grandparents.

-J.

herbie @ Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:55 am

Dad was a lab chemist, I remember him joking as he commented to someone that everyone knows what quarts were, how the fuck could anyone visualize what a litre was? He was pouring milk from a 1L container as he spoke.

I still get annoyed when I see cans and bottles that are 355, 472ml, etc. Ot 7-11s with ads for 64oz slushies on sale.

But like the chart says, you know you're a Canadian when it's 43km to Costco, you're 6'1" and 200 lbs, the display sign says SALE $3.99lb but the package label says $6.59kg and L/100km is a fucking math challenge

DrCaleb @ Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:04 am

Could be worse. You could think of your weight in 'stone'. [huh]

1  2  Next