Canada Kicks Ass
Is their a God?

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Rev_Blair @ Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:15 am

According to the doctrines of most religions, even some sects of Christianity, that would leave us having to stand on our personal actions. I'm not afraid of that either.

Ralph @ Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:31 am

I do not believe in religion
Religion is a man made thing and therefore badly flawed
It has been used as a way of keeping the masses in control

Is there a God?
There most certainly is something or someone who has its hand in the universe.
What our part is God only knows.
How important we are in this plan is a subject all by its self.
And best left to smarter people than me.

Rev_Blair @ Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:02 am

It's like the artwork on my wall says, Ralph..."Religion is useful because it scares people."

Johnnybgoodaaaaa @ Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:20 am

<------Agnostic.

I think this whole thing about religion being about violence or to scare people is wrong. There's alot of Christians who are great people and who do not harm or judge anyone. All anyone hears about is the fanatics who blow people up or judge people. Hell, I had some mormons come to my door and I had a reasonable conversation with them. I mean of course they wanted me to come to their church and such, but they were really nice and just told me about the bible and their beliefs, which I was completely ok with hearing. Look at the Jesus figure which Christians believe was the son of god....he was a non-violent person who preached understanding. Of course Christians have certain beliefs about certain things, but a true Christian doesn't judge or implement their beliefs on other people, they just turn the other cheek. The problem is that alot of people are filled with anger and can't control themselves from hating people.

Ralph @ Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:11 pm

Rev blair

Religion scars people agreed. but it really has no productive use

Rev_Blair @ Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:28 pm

That depends on your point of view, Ralph. My point of view tends to agree with yours on that though.

Johnnybgoodaaaaa @ Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:42 pm

Ralph Ralph:
Rev blair

Religion scars people agreed. but it really has no productive use

Not everything has to have a productive use, although it could be argued that it gives people hope that life isn't just a big nothing, that there is something out there. I'm an agnostic though so I just can't believe. Seeing is believing to me.

Ralph @ Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:43 pm

My motto in life has come over the years from my wife and partner of over 35 years.
Its something she would always say to the children and it holds some truth on the world stage. ……PLAY NICE CHILDREN!

Zenfisher @ Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:34 am

I have seen more truly kind,unselfish acts performed by atheists than by any member of any religious sect or order. It may be because they believe in the now and there is only one life.

I do not believe there is a higher power governing our lives. Do I think Atheism is a religion. No. It is an acceptance that life is a gift. Sure it life difficult at times, but there are moments when you really see and feel what a gift, life truly is. When you experience these points ...how could anything be any better? It is accepting that you are responsible for your actions. It is accepting that life is difficult, why make it harder than it has to be. And yes Ralph, everything we needed to know we did learn in kindergarten. Play nice, is an important concept in approaching our daily lives.

Johnnybgoodaaaaa @ Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:30 am

Zenfisher Zenfisher:
I have seen more truly kind,unselfish acts performed by atheists than by any member of any religious sect or order. It may be because they believe in the now and there is only one life.

I do not believe there is a higher power governing our lives. Do I think Atheism is a religion. No. It is an acceptance that life is a gift. Sure it life difficult at times, but there are moments when you really see and feel what a gift, life truly is. When you experience these points ...how could anything be any better? It is accepting that you are responsible for your actions. It is accepting that life is difficult, why make it harder than it has to be. And yes Ralph, everything we needed to know we did learn in kindergarten. Play nice, is an important concept in approaching our daily lives.

Guess you haven't seen much because I've known athiest who are truly major league assholes, and I've known Christians who do food drives and raise money to help the needy. It seems like alot of you have a major problem with Christians. I just have a problem with bigots who are just a part of a religion to make themselves look good. People should really be judged on a personal level, you know, and back when I used to go to church I knew plenty of good-hearted people who would commit self-less deads just as much as anyone else. I mean come on, they are still people, and just because someone is Christian doesn't mean that they don't do good things(of course good and evil are all relative). I'm an agnostic now, but I don't have any problems with nice people in general. I've seen plenty of muslims, or heard of them, doing great things for people, and Christians and so on. I mean from a scientific point of view, you could say that some people are just conditioned to do good deeds, like saving someone in trouble, and that religion doesn't even play any part in it, while others are conditioned to be shady assholes. I don't really think religion actually plays a huge part in people doing " truly kind, unselfish acts."

DMP08 @ Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:14 pm

I enjoyed physics more than chemistry...why? Because of the proof of physics. Physics, they tell you "something will accelerate on earth at 9.8m/s towards the earth" we did an experiment, and it proved that. Chemistry they said "everything is made of atoms, which you can't see...just believe us" Now we know things are made of atoms, but we can't see it for ourselves.

I have the same thought towards religion. Someone tells you what is there, no real proff, just to believe them. Thats why I have chosen to be more on the side of evolutionism rather than creationism. I may change my views when a space exploration craft snaps some pictures of God, Allah, etc playing a big round of poker...no not poker, gambling is a sin in some religions. Maybe their playing go fish or something.

As for the 'proof' shown in the bible, think about something. How long after these events happen did someone say "I should write this down". Before that point it was pased on through stories. Now everyone has seen how even a joke told to one person will change withing 10 minutes when that person tells someone else. Now imagine how many people changed the story before it was written down. And it wasn't like a joke that is maybe 3-4 lines long. We're talking books and books worth or stories.

I do believe in the fundamentals of religions. Something like 'thou shalt not kill', pretty basic. They are basic rules of life to live by. But they are not ways to rule your life.

Just my 2 cents, whatver they may be worth when converted from Canadian to whatver currency may or may not be used by higher beings.

Johnnybgoodaaaaa @ Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:49 pm

DMP08 DMP08:
I enjoyed physics more than chemistry...why? Because of the proof of physics. Physics, they tell you "something will accelerate on earth at 9.8m/s towards the earth" we did an experiment, and it proved that. Chemistry they said "everything is made of atoms, which you can't see...just believe us" Now we know things are made of atoms, but we can't see it for ourselves.

I have the same thought towards religion. Someone tells you what is there, no real proff, just to believe them. Thats why I have chosen to be more on the side of evolutionism rather than creationism. I may change my views when a space exploration craft snaps some pictures of God, Allah, etc playing a big round of poker...no not poker, gambling is a sin in some religions. Maybe their playing go fish or something.

As for the 'proof' shown in the bible, think about something. How long after these events happen did someone say "I should write this down". Before that point it was pased on through stories. Now everyone has seen how even a joke told to one person will change withing 10 minutes when that person tells someone else. Now imagine how many people changed the story before it was written down. And it wasn't like a joke that is maybe 3-4 lines long. We're talking books and books worth or stories.

I do believe in the fundamentals of religions. Something like 'thou shalt not kill', pretty basic. They are basic rules of life to live by. But they are not ways to rule your life.

Just my 2 cents, whatver they may be worth when converted from Canadian to whatver currency may or may not be used by higher beings.

Not everything is so black and white though, you know. I think as far as looking at things in a scientific way, agnosticism best explains things like an afterlife or whatever else. I mean evolutionism explains one thing, but does it explain why there are beings instead of no beings at all?

Rev_Blair @ Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:02 pm

$1:
I mean evolutionism explains one thing, but does it explain why there are beings instead of no beings at all?

Actually, they've come pretty close. Scientists have gotten amino acids to form spontaneously in lab conditions. They haven't managed life and/or DNA yet, but give them time.

$1:
I do believe in the fundamentals of religions. Something like 'thou shalt not kill', pretty basic. They are basic rules of life to live by.

Every society has come up with the pretty much the same basic rules though, with slight modifications. Taboos against murder, theft, and lying to authorities exist in every functional society on earth, regardless of dieties of belief in them. Those are societal norms...what it takes for a society to be functional...not religious norms.

polemarch1 @ Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:28 pm

$1:
Actually, they've come pretty close. Scientists have gotten amino acids to form spontaneously in lab conditions. They haven't managed life and/or DNA yet, but give them time.

Hadn't herd that sounds damn interesting. Where'd you hear/read that?

Rev_Blair @ Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:47 pm

I can't remember exactly...it was in a book or magazine back in the eighties though. Probably Omni before it quit being about science and started being about going broke. I believe the experiments took place in the mid-seventies, but it might have been earlier.

Give it a Google...I'm pretty sure its made the internet..

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next