Canada Kicks Ass
Is their a God?

1  2  3  4  Next

AdamNF @ Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:33 am

Religion was made up my ancient people to explain things. To explain the Earth and the Sun, explain life and death and other things like that. Religion simple has no place in a modern scientific world. Also Religion is the cause of all the worlds major wars and genocides, its does more hard then good.

Rev_Blair @ Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:20 pm

Is there a god? No. I firmly believe that.

Atheism is not scientific though, Adam. You cannot prove that a god or gods do not exist.

Agnosticism is scientific. It simply says, "Hell, I dunno. I looked at the facts and there is no real proof either way."

My belief that there is no god is just that, a belief. It is no less and no more valid than any other belief. Atheism is, at its root, as much a religion as Christianity or Islam or Wicca.

AdamNF @ Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:46 am

Well science cannot disporve that Santa Claus exists either.

polemarch1 @ Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:29 am

Yes I believe in God, but I do not think any religion has got it more then 50% right (that's being genorous).

As for Adam's belief that religion does more harm then good the same could be said for any ideology even athiesim.

AdamNF @ Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:35 am

give me an example.

AdamNF @ Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:39 am

http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/REFORM/WARS.HTM

http://pages.zdnet.com/rwfortune/sitebu ... ligion.htm

http://www.ethicalatheist.com/docs/war.html

http://www.lepg.org/wars.htm

Rev_Blair @ Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:04 pm

$1:
As for Adam's belief that religion does more harm then good the same could be said for any ideology even athiesim.

Yep, look at the crimes committed in China and the USSR under the banner of atheism and there it is. More proof that atheism is a valid religion.

I think one of atheism's biggest strengths is that it lacks a common dogma though. It is widely varied religion because people have so many reasons for not believing. That also leads most atheists to be much more tolerant of other religions. It has been my experience that atheists are much less judgemental of others based on religious belief. We are also much more likely to point out another religions strong points (the teachings of Jesus for instance) than somebody of a religion with a competing god would be.

AdamNF @ Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:38 pm

I think you are looking at this in the wrong way.

Just becasue somthing happened that wasnt involved with religion doesnt mean is has anything to do with athsim. Also Athesim would be around is there were no religion, so saying that its in the same group as any religion.

AdamNF @ Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:43 pm

Also, people dont fight wars for atheism. People fight wars for Jesus and God and Allah and all those thats i cant spell.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:06 pm

People fight wars because their leaders tell them to, Adam. Religion is just one of the excuses that come up.

Something George Bush has done in the US is to encourage fundamentalist Christian fervour to support his causes. He can do that because he is a radical Christian and because the US has a tradition of radical Christianity. The Ayotollahs in Iran and Osama in his cave have been able to stir up the same thing among radical Islam for the same reasons. The leaders of the USSR and China gave the same thing a good shot but were only moderately successful because there was no tradition of radical atheism in their countries.

There is no radical atheism (yet) because the vast majority of atheists are first generation...they got here by questioning and abandoning other religions. Atheism has also, by its very nature, avoided the cultish stage that most religions go through. Given a couple of charismatic leaders in a generation or so, that nature could change though.

Most atheists today got to be atheists by asking questions. That's how all the other religions and sects started too. If we want to keep atheism we have to keep asking questions. That includes listening to and considering what other members from non-radical belief systems have to say.

Rev_Blair @ Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:20 pm

Darwin was a devout Christian though. So are many other evolutionists. There are evolutionists from every religious and non-religious belief system around.

Evolution is a scientific theory (one I also also adhere to), but is not a religious one. It is based on evidence and its tenets change as the evidence changes.

Epona_Blue @ Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:12 pm

I definitely believe in a Higher Being, Divine, Divine purposes, etc. However, I do NOT believe that Divine is such a vengeful and judging entity like most religions portray It to be. I believe there is definitely something there, but I must agree with someone else who said earlier that all religions have maybe only 50% of it right ... and that IS being VERY generous. How many times do you honestly think the Bible itself has been written and rewritten? Just like a tidbit of gossip being passed around a small neighborhood - many things quickly become altered, left out, or even added onto just to "amuse" or "hold someone's interest." With that said, I will admit that I do not follow any book religion at all - especially being quite well-learned in early Christianity, Catholicism and Paganism.

I could go on for hours yakking about this. Truly. But the main thing here I think is to each his own - and everyone should be accepting and supporting to all - no matter what they may believe/not believe. ;)

Ralph @ Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:03 am

Call it what you will the beauty of nature or a wonderful cosmic chance happening.
Or the hand of some guiding force, whatever.
I personally believe that there is some plan some goal that we are a pivotal part of.
And if I am wrong and the lights just go out and there is nothing what have I lost.
If I am right and there is something where will the non believers be?

1  2  3  4  Next