Canada Kicks Ass
Learn more about Quebec!

1  2  Next

Denis @ Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:49 pm

http://www.partiquebecois.org/nv/index.php?pq=57

FIVE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS TO UNDERSTAND WHY THE PARTI QUÉBÉCOIS WANTS QUÉBEC TO BECOME A SOVEREIGN COUNTRY.

1. What does The Parti Québécois want?

The Parti Québécois wants Québec to become a sovereign country and for it to have all the political, judicial and fiscal instruments to become master of its own destiny. It wants the government to be able to legitimately promote and defend the interests of the Québec people, and participate in international forums, like other nations, a necessity more and more pronounced in the context of globalization. Québec is the only North American State where Francophones constitute the majority of the population, and where a specific model of culture, development, institutions, legal system and civil law exists. The sovereignty project is legitimate, as recognized by the Canadian Supreme Court in August 1998 and Canada has, according this Court, an obligation to negotiate in good faith Quebec's accession to sovereignty.

2. Where does the Québec sovereignty project come from?

Since the birth of Canada in 1867, there have always been supporters of independence who thought Québec was not just another province within the Canadian borders, but rather constituted a nation and should become a country. Negotiations in the 1960's to amend Canada's Constitution in order to recognize Québec as one of the founding nations and to give it the necessary powers to develop itself within Canada failed. These failures occurred even when negotiations were conducted by Québec federalist governments in favour of Québec staying within Canada. Elected in 1976, the Parti Québécois government held a referendum on sovereignty in 1980, obtaining 40.6% support. In 1982, Canada modified its Constitution without National Assembly's and the Québec government's assent. To this day, no Québec political party has accepted to adhere to this Constitution. In 1994, the Parti Québécois regained power and in 1995 held another referendum, where the support for sovereignty climbed to 49.4%. On November 30th, 1998, the Parti Québécois was re-elected and once again formed the government.

3. Why does the Parti Québécois still want Québec to achieve sovereignty ?

Since the October 1995 referendum, the governments of Canada have ignored the will of the people of Québec to reform Canadian federalism. The federal government in Ottawa decided to maintain the status quo, accentuating problems which have existed for the last forty years. Furthermore, this government has multiplied attacks against Québec and continues to intervene in its areas of its exclusive jurisdiction, which causes severe problems in the planning of public services. It has also attempted to intimidate the Québec population by threatening not to recognize any future referendum result, notwithstanding the fact that Québec's democratic traditions are flawless and that its legislation on the financing of political parties and referendums are exemplary.

4. Who in Québec is considered a Quebecker?

Québec nationalism is not ethnic but civic. All citizens residing on Québec territory are Quebeckers. Québec has a Charter of Rights and Freedoms which guarantees equality to all citizens. Québec's official language is French and new immigrants are obligated by law to send their children to French-speaking schools. The English-speaking community has its own complete educational system, from preschool to university, and has access to all services in its own language. It manages on their own its learning, health and social services institutions, along with numerous radio and television stations, newspapers and magazines. As for Aboriginal nations, Québec's National Assembly recognized in 1985 the existence of eleven aboriginal nations, along their right of self-government. Conventions and agreements were concluded with a number of aboriginal nations in matters related to education and health and provide also for joint economical development projects.

5. How will Québec position itself in international matters?

Already open to the world by its active participation in the international community, in international forums and through cooperation, development and humanitarian assistance, Québec wishes to continue all treaties and agreements to which Canada is a party. It intends to become member and participate fully in the work of international organizations and conferences. In its trade relations, it will be respectful of human rights, democracy and social justice. Its vision of globalization includes the respect for diversity and the promotion and protection of national identities, languages and cultures.

Denis @ Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:52 pm

A great video:

http://partiquebecois.org/nv/index.php?pq=113&id=11

Zenfisher @ Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:38 pm

If Quebec wishes to seperate, I feel that that is their right. However, Quebec would have to consider the possibility that it would be the size of the province was when it entered confederation. It would have to consider the possibility that the aboriginal holdings were negotiated with Canada and the Aboriginals themselves, may want to adhere to the Canadian treaties. This actually would hold true for any province that entered confederation and wants to seperate. There is a legal possibility they would only retain the lands that they had when they entered the country.

Canadaka @ Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:03 pm

I think it would be nothing but a step backward, Canada is a becon to the world, oh what a good country can be, we must move closer not apart. The world is becomming ever smaller, we must learn to live with each other, different races, cultures. If we can't do it here in Canada....
i also feel the bloc should not be allowed to run in national electrions, or rather any party that only represents one peopels in one provence.. how is that representing the country.

polemarch1 @ Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:11 pm

Can we all say Sedition?

Gonzo @ Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:36 pm

Quebec is such a part of Canadian history that it would be a shame if it seperated. I dont think it can seperate though. It tried before. The seperatists tried every little trick in the book, from lying to confusing the question, and they still couldn't get people to vote there way. If they win a referendum do they have to win two more? Is it best 3 out of 5? Besides, the courts ruled that they cant.
The propoganda that seperatists use is so stupid. If the rest of Canada hates Quebec then why have we voted so many time for a Quebecer as our prime minister?
Canada is a great country. We are an example of what the world should be like. And if Quebec seperatists (and Alberta seperatists) dont like it we can deport them all to France (and the USA for the Albertans).

AdamNF @ Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:40 pm

I really don’t like Quebec. I’m sure some of its people are ok but I’m just so sick of the bitching. “Hey look at us; we speak French so we must be better then everyone else’. I mean the ignorance runs rapid in Quebec. ‘We are difference so we should get everything and then after the Government gives us everything we will complain more and say we are being ignored and that Canada hates us’. YES Canada hates you and for good reason, you’re a bunch of rich beggars. You province has the BEST deal out of any, they get more from the feds they all the other provinces combined, yes you still beg for more, and cry about when you don’t get 100% of what you DEMANDED! I say we build a wall, like the Berlin Wall. We build it all the way around Quebec so we don’t have to listen to there bitching and complaining and we don’t have to give a rich province more then they deserve. Big wall, ill even help poor the cement

TheLetterX @ Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:23 pm

It's a sad day indeed when some us are so stupid they'd rather isolate individuals as if they had the black plague than trying to solve a problem. Remind me not to move to Newfoundland for they'll erecting a wall around my house just because I talk French and English.

And what about the rest of the population that made sure that Quebec did not seperate? Wall them off also, Adam? I know you said some of them must be ok but who would that be? I love Quebec and always will. I never voted for the PQ and never will, yet sometimes English speaking Canadians used to throw insults at me just because I was speaking French.

By saying such idiotic and racist remarks like to raise a wall, shut up and let the rest of us, those who really love Canada and Quebec, work into making this a more harmonious relationship. Why don't you raise that cement wall around your own house so no one else in the world will bother you with their problems. Obviously you don't care on working to help with this relationship between Canada and Quebec.

Zenfisher @ Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:50 am

I don't want to see Quebec seperate either, I just think the choice is theirs.I cannot really see any advantage that would be gained by seperation, in fact I see a lot of problems for both Canada & Quebec should it occur.

Gonzo @ Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:37 am

Actually the choice isn't theres. One province cant destroy the country. It's not legal. They cannot seperate.
Living in Ottawa you learn to appreciate Quebec. I loved going to the Gatineau, driving to Montreal and Quebec city. I dont know what probelms people have in Quebec. I dont speak any french and had a great time. Besides, all those french girls!

-Mario- @ Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:41 am

Quebec's separation from Canada was a great idea in the 50 and 60. Once the government took control back and made Quebec a better place, then it became an obsolete idea. I don't know why the government still wants to separate. It is an old idea that made sense 40-50 years ago. I remember, in high school, in the final chapter of my history class (HIS412) it was all about the Great Rene Levesque. They actually brain washed us. The whole chapter was about the PQ and their view of the past and future. I believed that my generation and the ones behind me have been brain washed and that’s why we almost lost last referendum. Since then I move out the province and learned/discovered how much I have been misinformed on how Canada really is. And Denis, the only time you a gonna ear on how "the English hates us" is when you talk about separating... That will bring up all those Canadian contracts that went to Quebec. Here in the Annapolis Valley... they ripped all the train tracks out and send them to Quebec during the LaGrande project. That would piss me off too. The Quebec people are actually liked around this country. And, its too bad Quebec has to fuck up the Canadian Dollar. The Europe united and formed a common currency, what would Quebec gain by separating :?:

I have been out of Quebec for 10 years now, and this is not the Canada I was expecting. Canadians are very friendly toward Quebeckers. They are patient will help you with your English. They will make you feel part of the community. The Quebec media are worst then the American ones. They give only one side of the story, the Quebec side of the story. What you see in the French CBC (SRC) and English CBC will be two very different stories. I can't believe that nobody at CBC headquarters hasn't come down to the SRC and stop that non-sense propaganda. Must be because they have to follow the other Quebec medias. I remember in 95 while I was part of the work force of the G7 summit in Halifax. At the Halifax airport, there used to be an ugly half-done hotel just outside the airport. The hotel chain ran out of money and went under during construction. The first thing that came out of the SRC was "how ugly that half done hotel was". How it made Halifax look ugly... The bloody thing was 20-30 minutes away from the city. The presidents, and PMs landed in Shearwater on the other side of the Harbour of Halifax and took a boat across. WTF. Everything was nick-picked and ugly, the: “maybe they should have done it in Quebec”, and how “Quebec would have done it better…” During that G7 week was all about that and they only do it when it is in Canada.

If you think that the American have a Melting Pot, try Quebec. At least the Americans will give you a chance if you have a slight accent. They will respect your past and accept you for what you are. If you were not born and raised in Quebec, you are dirt. They will make you feel like an outsider and will remind you every times they get a chance. Denis, and all those separatist out there, get out of Quebec and see for yourself how it really is, out here, in the real world.

Swamperz @ Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:26 pm

Let Quebec seperate.....The french are ignorant people that think they can do better without Canada. Yet they beg Alberta for money. Let them go.(Thank Christ Cretian is gone to bad we have another Frenchman leading us) GOOOOO GST and GOOOOO GUN REGISTRATION...Stupid plain stupid....F'n liberals are gonna kill this country.And the Blockheads well they have no say in my books.

Swamperz @ Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:36 pm

I should not have said frenchman as a stereotype I appologize. Sorry

-Mario- @ Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:32 am

Swamperz Swamperz:
Let Quebec seperate.....The french are ignorant people that think they can do better without Canada. Yet they beg Alberta for money. Let them go.(Thank Christ Cretian is gone to bad we have another Frenchman leading us) GOOOOO GST and GOOOOO GUN REGISTRATION...Stupid plain stupid....F'n liberals are gonna kill this country.And the Blockheads well they have no say in my books.

Not all of us... 22% of Canadians are French, and only 49% (of 6 millions) voted for the separation. As of the French Canadian PMs, the Canadian people put them in power. Diefenbaker was English...

-M-

Denis @ Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:14 pm

AdamNF AdamNF:
I really don’t like Quebec. I’m sure some of its people are ok but I’m just so sick of the bitching. “Hey look at us; we speak French so we must be better then everyone else’. I mean the ignorance runs rapid in Quebec. ‘We are difference so we should get everything and then after the Government gives us everything we will complain more and say we are being ignored and that Canada hates us’. YES Canada hates you and for good reason, you’re a bunch of rich beggars. You province has the BEST deal out of any, they get more from the feds they all the other provinces combined, yes you still beg for more, and cry about when you don’t get 100% of what you DEMANDED! I say we build a wall, like the Berlin Wall. We build it all the way around Quebec so we don’t have to listen to there bitching and complaining and we don’t have to give a rich province more then they deserve. Big wall, ill even help poor the cement

HAHAHAH! :shakeshead:

... And ladies and gentlemens, this comment was made by a NEWFIE! Bravo. :roll:

If there a province in Canada we don't need, it's certainly Newfounland.

The economy of Newfoundland dosen't help very much the Canada eh! It's the worst mistake of the Canada to add this province in 1949.

I can't believe what you said.. come on! Grow up!

Bla bla bla.. . I’m sure some of its people are ok but I’m just so sick of the bitching. “Hey look at us; we speak French so we must be better then everyone else’. I mean the ignorance runs rapid in Quebec.

STFU! Did you ever came in Quebec !? I don't think so!

1  2  Next