Canada Kicks Ass
Maher uses racial slur during 'Real Time' interview

1  2  3  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:53 am

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/03/entertain ... index.html

$1:
HBO issued a statement on Saturday morning disavowing Maher's use of the racial epithet.
"Bill Maher's comment last night was completely inexcusable and tasteless," Quentin Schaffer, executive vice president for corporate communications at HBO, said in the statement. "We are removing his deeply offensive comment from any subsequent airings of the show."
Sasse also addressed the controversy in a series of tweets early Saturday.
"I'm a 1st Amendment absolutist. Comedians get latitude to cross hard lines," he said. "But free speech comes with a responsibility to speak up when folks use that word. Me just cringing last night wasn't good enough."

It's offensive when anybody uses it, yet it's constantly used in music and in everyday vernacular by blacks themselves. It's hypocrisy to condemn one person and completely ignore its constant use by others. A black person calling another black person a 'nigger' should be just as offensive as a white person calling a black person a 'nigger'.

xerxes @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:30 am

That's the double standard. Always has been and always will be.

When whites use it, it's a term of dehumanization.
When blacks do, it's a term of disempowerment.

At least that's the best explanation I've heard.

Public_Domain @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:04 pm

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:28 pm

xerxes xerxes:
That's the double standard. Always has been and always will be.

When whites use it, it's a term of dehumanization.
When blacks do, it's a term of disempowerment.

At least that's the best explanation I've heard.

It's still bullshit. If that's the best they can do, it's pretty pathetic. Maher has slipped up before and this was a truly thoughtless comment that's going to cost him. It's an example of 9x1=7 9x2=18 9x3=27 9x4=36 9x5=45 9x6=54 9x7=63 9x8=72 9x9=81 9x10=90

raydan @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Sorry Bill, no excuse for you on this one. :(

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:02 pm

raydan raydan:
Sorry Bill, no excuse for you on this one. :(

Maybe he'll Trump it.. That stupid shit says all sorts of vile things all the time and his inbred, mouth breathing dumbass, deplorable followers ignore it or claim it was never said, despite camera footage and or audio evidence.

Thanos @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:16 pm

Yeah, Maher knows it was a bad fuck up and he's apologized for it. And HBO is editing the segment so it'll be permanently cut from their own archives; can't do much about all the clone clips posted on YouTube by now though.

Sunnyways @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:19 pm

He was responding foolishly to Sasse's remark about working in the fields. It was a mistake but not the end of the world, a very naughty word. Maher is not a racist. His rants against vaccines - which may end up contributing to the deaths of kids - offend me a lot more.

BRAH @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Bill Maher's mistake proves the Left will eat their own.

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:36 pm

See....not so different than Trump and his neo nazis.

Tricks @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
He was responding foolishly to Sasse's remark about working in the fields. It was a mistake but not the end of the world, a very naughty word. Maher is not a racist. His rants against vaccines - which may end up contributing to the deaths of kids - offend me a lot more.

Huh, I did not know that about him. That's brutal. Respect lost.

Sunnyways @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:14 pm

One example of many. It is seductively played - I support vaccines but...

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/25/bill_ma ... and_liars/

If you watch him regularly, you'll hear the occasional critical remark about vaccines. The problem is when enough parents take this type of thing in, don't vaccinate their kids and the next thing we have a deadly epidemic on our hands. Vaccines have been one of the spectacular successes of modernity, up there with clean water, proper nutrition, antibiotics and hygiene. It's infuriating to see them questioned by people who will never see their own relatives suffer the consequences of such words.

Public_Domain @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Bill, to me, represents the most smug of edgy liberal.

I think white people using the word is different than black people saying it. I just do. It's usually a different context and with different intent. That it inherits a certain nastiness with regards to our different little cultural upbringings and ancestral genocidal baggage, I think is only part of the "issue". White people tend to say it cause they either 1. Wanna be racist 2. Sound 'cool' by being edgy or appropriative and/or "it's a free country". Lame reasons guys.

Honestly I posted in this thread without first finding out what he said. I assumed it was pretty benign but, uh, nice one Bill. Aced it.

Eh.

BeaverFever @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Fake controversy. He's a politically incorrect comic by brand That's why CONSERVATIVES got him kicked off his first show ironically called "politically incorrect" in the first place

Typical fake conservative outrage

Public_Domain @ Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:31 pm

well a lot of the people who think he's a goof are quite a bit to the left of him

1  2  3  Next