Canada Kicks Ass
Martha Bites the Dust

1  2  Next

karra @ Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:16 pm

After three days of deliberation the jury finally returned a verdict.

[align=center]Guilty[/align]

Guilty on four counts.

What's this world coming to when a billionaire (nearly) can't inside trade and obstruct the ensuing investigation with impunity. Why just imagine how she feels. And all this for a measly $65,000.00.

Will she get jail time? Interesting to see.

What will also be interesting is, if she gets time, the transformation that will take place within the facility as she organizes all those jailbirds and eventually gets her prison on the cover of House and Home and of course the Martha Show.

figfarmer @ Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:19 pm

Martha will have no part of dust, in her mouth or otherwise. Martha bites a scintillating concoction of carefully arranged particles.

karra @ Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:07 am

This is an opportunity for the DoJ to set an example. The white collar fraud artists who stole hundreds of millions of dollars from their own companies (hello Enron, Worldcom, Hollinger etc . . . .) should now be concerned. If Martha couldn't beat lying to the feds and sec investigators, they won't be able to.

Should these people are convicted I'd like to see a complete seizure of all their assets plus some serious jail time. Reduce them to pauper status like so many of the thousands of employees who lost their pension plans.

AdamNF @ Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:09 am

My opinion, Jail is for violent offenders. If your crime wasnt violent you shouldnt be put in jail. Its pointless.

Rev_Blair @ Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:47 am

I think some non-violent offences, such as insider trading, do deserve jail time Adam. They may not be overtly violent, but because of the massive effects they can have on so many people they have the possibility of causing a lot of suffering.

Destroying somebody's retirement plans for reasons of personal greed is an inherently violent act. Just because it is done without physical contact does not make it less so.

I doubt Martha will ever see the inside of a cell though. The rich seldom do and she really is small fish as far as this kind of thing goes. George W. Bush and Dick "Spiro Agnew" Cheney should do some hard time too, but chances are that neither will even be brought to trial in the US. Dick could have some trouble in France though.

figfarmer @ Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:00 am

I'll never retire. Sod the beggars.

AdamNF @ Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:54 pm

$1:
Destroying somebody's retirement plans for reasons of personal greed is an inherently violent act. Just because it is done without physical contact does not make it less so.

I understand where your coming from but i don't agree. The executives at Enron for example, yes what they did was a horrible thing, but they dont deserve to go to jail. I think a very stern fine would so the trick. Im not talking about a standerd fine for this crime, but one to match up with the person (and his worth). So it will acually to some good. Then you could spend my money on Schools, or hospitals.

Drugs is another one.
No-violent drug users do no deserve to go to jail. They should be treated. If you want to stop people from using drugs, treat them, dont through them in jail where they will continue to abuse drugs.

karra @ Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:11 pm

Can you actually understand what you wrote?

Rev_Blair @ Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:46 pm

I understand what he wrote. It makes sense.

I see no way to make fines punitive enough to discourage somebody with a billion dollars stashed off-shore truly pay for their crimes Adam. That's the problem. If your punishment is being forced into exile in Bermuda, it doesn't act as much of a deterrent.

The problem is that countries usually used for hiding that kind of money aren't really big on disclosing who has what in their banks or shipping that money back to where the money was made so restitution can be made. If we could overcome that somehow I'd be on your side completely...I just can't see how it can be done.

As for drugs...I'd legalise pot and mushrooms and a few other things and decriminalise the rest. That's a whole other topic though.

AdamNF @ Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:05 pm

$1:
Can you actually understand what you wrote?

Haha yeah I type faster then I can think.

Ok rev you make some good points. But prisons donÂ’t work, they donÂ’t rehabilitate. Prisons brew evil and bad people. If someone goes into prison not such a bad guy, he/she made a mistake, when he gets out he/she will be much worse. Prisons bread drug use and violence. If anything an the prison system itself needs to be overhauled

Rev_Blair @ Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:59 pm

You'll get no argument from me on most of that, Adam. If some CEO steals millions though, hard time might do him some good. Even if all it does is reduce him/her to a car thief from white collar criminal the world is a slightly better place...I'd rather lose my car than my life savings.

The threat of real jail doesn't work as a deterent on most people...they either don't commit a crime or do, based on their personal beliefs... but I think it can make a real difference when it comes to high-level white collar criminals. These are people who do the crime knowing damned well tht they'll never do time, after all. Let a few of them get anally raped in the shower a few times and it will settle the others down.

sodomy_eh @ Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:20 pm

I understand where your coming from but i don't agree. The executives at Enron for example, yes what they did was a horrible thing, but they dont deserve to go to jail. I think a very stern fine would so the trick. Im not talking about a standerd fine for this crime, but one to match up with the person (and his worth). So it will acually to some good. Then you could spend my money on Schools, or hospitals.

Drugs is another one.
No-violent drug users do no deserve to go to jail. They should be treated. If you want to stop people from using drugs, treat them, dont through them in jail where they will continue to abuse drugs.[/quote]

j/k

AdamNF @ Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:16 pm

Do you have any thoughts of your own, or are you fine with posts pics.

Rev_Blair @ Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:25 pm

I doubt Sodomy will be around long, Adam. Just ignore him in the meantime. He's obviously got some some deep psychological scars.

othello @ Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:34 pm

The Grammar Nazis weren't watching when the Spelling Nazis put together that sign.

1  2  Next