Canada Kicks Ass
My Cross Canada trip

Previous  1  2

Marlins75 @ Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:33 am

I heard Nunavut looks beautiful in winter. Although, you might need to take a skidoo from Churchill up across the Hudson Bay to reach there.

Marlins75 @ Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:34 am

Seriously though, make sure your in Quebec City come February. The winter party(not sure what they call it) is on all month.

Goaler27 @ Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:39 am

Hey, heading up north? I really dont think so, but Whitehorse is a must and Atlin BC, amazing history up there. Lyard (SP) hot springs is the "must see" up there. Two pools, one cement pond (beta pool) and one (alpha pool) dirt pond with little fish swimming around your feet, is amazing too.

So much to see in this Crazy country, you'll be on the train for months.

To bad you cant buy something like a Eurorail pass, open ticket for three/four months and go any where the train goes, that would be the shit Eh.

Hopper @ Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:25 pm

Halifax is a constant party all winter long......bars with the fireplace roaring and music, music, music!!!

What do you expect in the city with more bars per capita than any other city in Canada!!!!

Rosco @ Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:39 pm

Goaler27 Goaler27:
Hey, heading up north? I really dont think so, but Whitehorse is a must and Atlin BC, amazing history up there. Lyard (SP) hot springs is the "must see" up there. Two pools, one cement pond (beta pool) and one (alpha pool) dirt pond with little fish swimming around your feet, is amazing too.

So much to see in this Crazy country, you'll be on the train for months.

To bad you cant buy something like a Eurorail pass, open ticket for three/four months and go any where the train goes, that would be the shit Eh.

That's exactly what I have, in fact it's better than a Eurorail pass because it was free and because our trains are like rolling hotels compared to those in Europe, having your own room to stay in is a must when you're going to be on the rails for weeks at a time.

The bad news is that I can't really stray off the beaten path too much, meaning places not covered by VIA rail, this is supposed to be a cheap holiday so I can't spend too much on hotels and car rentals etc.

Anyways thanks for the suggestions so far!

Goaler27 @ Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:15 pm

When I travelled around europe, I would stay in a hostel one day then the next day I save my money and sleep on the train. The shitty thing about that was every country, state, Bump, some bastard would knock on the door and say "PASSPORT" . that really sucked so I did not get to much sleep on the train, but one time on one of the long trips, I was able to shack up with an Itailian Hottie. that was a whole lot of fun (talking, nothing else) .

I would not think that you have anybody asking for your passport here, so you should get some good sleep, especailly in the flat lands.

Laconfir @ Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:32 pm

...my brother are the same way. We can't agree on anything. When we do agree, its usually short lived. SPeaking about weather... I've had a really crappy winter so far. Hardley any snow.... And its not like I want the snow for snow days (we've had enough already for really stupid reasons) but, I just can't enjoy winter or Christmas without a couple feet of snow.

Mukluk @ Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:23 pm

You can visit the Western Dust Museum if you like, but I highly recommend the Wanuskewin Heritage Park if you are pressed for time in Saskatoon and had to choose.

http://www.wanuskewin.com/

hehe
m

Rosco @ Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:55 pm

Hi all,

After travelling several days on the train and briefly stopping in Jasper, Saskatoon and Winnipeg I spent a day and a half in Toronto before jumping on another train this morning to Montreal where I'm now staying with relatives. I realize I'm not spending enough time in these places to do them justice but any place I like I'll catch on my way back west.

This trip has been an eye opener so far and has awakened some of my long latent sense of Canadian patriotism.

CyNiCaL @ Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:03 pm

This is a trip I suggest any Canadian take at least once. I myself have been back and forth a several times, only flew once, worst trip ever lol.

I drove across a few times and took the bus a few times. I prefer driving, my own pace and such, but the bus is quite the experience aswell. heh I rememeber this one trip from Toronto to Vernon BC, some dood got on in Sault St Marie and he had this god awful stinking sausage in his pocket. Every now and then he would pull it out and gnaw on it for a while, stinkin up the entire bus. He sat beside me for a province and a half, was never so happy to see Regina lol.

But I will stress to anyone leaving Ontario to come west, you will leave Ontario, I know it seems like forever lol, but you will hit Manitoba someday. The Grayhound from Toronto to Vernon BC is 72 hours, 24 of that is Ontario alone, damn big province.

Rosco @ Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:33 pm

Right now I'm in the little resort town of Banff Alta where I'll stay for the next few days before heading home. I must say I really learned a lot from this trip though I'm still not sure if I'll decide to remain in Canada or if I'll head to Nevada.

Previous  1  2