Canada Kicks Ass
Need Help For CAMPING...

1  2  Next

DMP08 @ Sun May 16, 2004 5:53 pm

Hey everyone! I know that this has NOTHING to do with Canada, but I'm gonna ask anyhow. I am going camping in 2 weeks and had some food questions. I wanted to make french toast (MMmmmm) on the morning after my first night camping. I had no idea where to search the net so I decided, forum people here tend to be quite smart. Will eggs last if I break them open, put them in a tupperware container and freeze them so they'd still be good after about 24 hours unrefriderated. Or can eggs just last that long without refridgeration? I would like to avoid packing a cooler because I am hiking in about an hour to the camp site and an hour back, so the fewer things I have to bring the better. Thanks for your help.

ofaolain @ Sun May 16, 2004 6:53 pm

I think your best bet would be to bring powdered eggs with you......I'm not sure how long real eggs would last not being refrigerated

DMP08 @ Sun May 16, 2004 6:57 pm

I've seen powdered milk before, but powdered eggs? I may only be 17 and not know much about cooking, but I have worked at Safeway for almost 2 years now and I've never heard of 'em. Do they taste alright, I know the powdered milk tastes a lil'...not right.

GWN_Ronnie @ Sun May 16, 2004 8:56 pm

What you need to bring is good ol' bacon!

I worked in a grocery store before and was actually the dairy manager. I've never herd powered eggs before but I wouldn't be surprised to see em

mmmmm bacon

F/sgt Cam @ Sun May 16, 2004 9:13 pm

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... eName=WDVW

This stuff is expensive but damn good. I always eat it when on cadet exercises and it lasts for years and years.

figfarmer @ Sun May 16, 2004 10:06 pm

Break all your ingredients into a small plastic jar and freeze them, then put the plastic jar into a bigger plastic jar, fill it with water and freeze it. When you get there bury it somewhere cool That way you'll keep your eggs and have ice water the next morning too. When you're done burn the plastic jars.

DMP08 @ Sun May 16, 2004 10:06 pm

I was actually able to round up an IMP because one of my best friends is in Cadets and he had some extras from their last camp-out. I was going to bring bacon, but, once again, how do I keep it from going back unrefridgerated for over 24 hours minimum. Can bacon be frozen, that way it would keep itself cool. I thank you all for helping me.

DMP08 @ Sun May 16, 2004 10:12 pm

Thanks for that idea figfarmer. It would be like a self contained thermos/fridge. At work today, I saw something to help me with the french toast. It is milk in a 1 litre tetra pack (like juice comes in) and it is pasturized and will last unrefridgerated for 6 months. After you open it though you have to refridgerate it, or drink it all :) . This is much faster (and more fun) getting information from the vast pool of knowledge that is forum surfers than searching randomly around the net. Thanks!

PS: If anyone has any ideas to make camping-cook-over-fire yummy food that is easy to prepare, I'd love to hear them.

DMP08 @ Sun May 16, 2004 10:22 pm

I've seen that (I work at safeway :D ). Only "problem" is I like my bacon so when you pick it up it bends. I don't like crunchy bacon, I find it doesn't taste as good. Do you know how the pre-cooked bacon is (crunchy/soft)? I'm thinking it would be crunchy because if I remember the name it's "Ready Crisp" isn't it? I'd love to have bacon....

GWN_Ronnie GWN_Ronnie:
mmmmm bacon

DMP08 @ Sun May 16, 2004 10:45 pm

What do you think chocolate french toast would taste like? Do you think it would be gross or good or "I could eat it if I was dying"? Thanks for the speedy responses to my questions, I've had this topic going for less than 6 hours and look how much my fellow canadians have helped me.

Rev_Blair @ Mon May 17, 2004 5:51 am

If you go camping without a cooler, how will you keep the beer cold? :? :lol:

AdamNF @ Mon May 17, 2004 8:35 am

Ok, i romNewfundand and onsid myself andexpert in this field.. :lol:

In the summer my friend and i go camping a few times a week, here is a list ofd what we bring.

-Tents (big fancy tents are a waist of money, there a pain to put up, and the next morning when your all hungover you dont want a huge tent to take down)
- Sleeping bags
- Coolers (1 cooler for every 2 people)
- Beer (Black Horse)
- Food (totaly your choice)
- Folding chairs (for around the fire)
- Tarps, in case it rains.

Narissa @ Mon May 17, 2004 10:12 am

Don't forget the pie iron :D - Bread, processed cheese & baloney - you could live on Pie Irons for days.... :D

Adam forgot to mention -
Coffee - baileys will do for cream.
A hatchet would be good [firewood]

AdamNF @ Mon May 17, 2004 11:04 am

no no no, only beer on a camping trip! :wink:

DMP08 @ Mon May 17, 2004 3:47 pm

Is there any food items people can think of that DON'T require a cooler and can be made with minimal cookware and over a fire. I don't want to haul in like 2 pans, 2 pots, plates and cuttlery. The less I have to hike in/out the better. My meal plans go as follows:
NIGHT 1: Steak and baked potato (steak should be fine for 12 hours unrefridgerated eh? Can I freeze it?)
MORNING 1: French Toast and bacon
NIGHT 2: Not sure, canned beans/chili maybe?
MORNING 2: Not sure again, possibly oatmeal?

If anyone has ideas of simple to prepare (but also quite filling) food that DOESN'T require a cooler that'd be great! THANKS!

1  2  Next