Canada Kicks Ass
Nurse given $26K fine after complaining

1  2  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:27 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon ... -1.4060813

$1:
A Prince Albert, Sask., nurse is facing a hefty fine after complaining about her grandfather's care on social media.

In October, the discipline committee of the Saskatchewan Registered Nurses' Association found Carolyn Strom guilty of professional misconduct. Strom posted that staff caring for her grandfather weren't "up to speed" on palliative care or how to "help maintain an aging senior's dignity."

Some of the staff at St. Joseph's Health Centre in Macklin, Sask., complained that Strom's comments violated her professional obligations as a nurse. According to testimony at the discipline committee, staff felt the comments were humiliating and embarrassing.

$1:
The written decision noted the actual costs of the hearing were almost six times higher than the amount of money to be paid by Strom.The decision also said that the hearing could have been avoided through mediation, which did not happen.

Originally, the nurses' association investigation committee had asked that Strom be fined $30,000 and that her lack of remorse should be seen as an aggravating circumstance. However, the discipline committee disagreed, writing that Strom showed accountability for her actions at the hearing.

Strom will need to pay the fine by 2020.

:roll:

BartSimpson @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:56 pm

That's right, you people don't have freedom of speech. :|

shockedcanadian @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:47 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

We don't have freedom or accountability, period. It's one of the reasons our allies don't trust us.

There are more lying rat bastards and C.I's working for the police in Canada than there are honest and hard working uniformed officers. Ontario and Canada are nearly bankrupt because of their activities.

Tricks @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:15 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Government didn't fine her.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Her own professional organization did.

shockedcanadian @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Since when did any professional organization circumvent and preclude the so-called Charter of Rights and Freedom?

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:26 pm

What the hell would a high school drop out like you know of professional organizations? You likely think fellowships involve midgets on ring quests.

shockedcanadian @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:27 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
What the hell would a high school drop out like you know of professional organizations? You likely think fellowships involve midgets on ring quests.

Based on your language over the last year or more, if I'm a High School drop out, what university did you buy your degree from?

BartSimpson @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Tricks Tricks:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Oh, so I can start an NGO in Canada and violate whatever the fuck rights I want to and your government won't lift a finger to stop me?

So noted.

Tricks @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:30 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Tricks Tricks:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Oh, so I can start an NGO in Canada and violate whatever the fuck rights I want to and your government won't lift a finger to stop me?

So noted.

Technically yes. The freedom of speech does not apply to organizations and businesses. I'm not sure how you still haven't figured that out. You're allowed to say what you want and the government will not prosecute you (unless it's hate speech of course) but that doesn't mean your job won't penalize you.

That being said, this is still extremely stupid.

Oh by the way, same thing in the U.S. It's why colin kaepernick was penalised by the NFL for sitting during the Anthem.

raydan @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Conduct detrimental to the organization... most work contracts, professional sport contracts and professional organization contracts have that clause.

Don't like it, don't sign in.

That being said, this sounds excessive... mind you, this might not be her first offence and she could have been barred from the Saskatchewan Registered Nurses' Association.

xerxes @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:08 pm

A lot of professional organizations have this rule. It's the "don't talk shit" rule. And it's not like theres no way to bring up complaints about other memebers. It's just that here is particular way it's supposed to be done.

It's dumb but them's the rules.

Thanos @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Can't use the "private thoughts and opinions" tactic when you put it on a blog or Facebook under your real name and have it open for public viewing. As for what was said earlier I'd like to see the list of Americans that have magically gotten away with no consequences for publicly thrashing on their employer as opposed to us here in benighted fascist Canada. As is typical the one that screams "thought police!" the quickest and loudest has no idea what they're talking about and should cram it up their ass.

shockedcanadian @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Can't use the "private thoughts and opinions" tactic when you put it on a blog or Facebook under your real name and have it open for public viewing. As for what was said earlier I'd like to see the list of Americans that have magically gotten away with no consequences for publicly thrashing on their employer as opposed to us here in benighted fascist Canada. As is typical the one that screams "thought police!" the quickest and loudest has no idea what they're talking about and should cram it up their ass.

My guess is with such a massive fine, she must have been speaking a great deal of truth with her complaints...

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:48 pm

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:

Based on your language over the last year or more, if I'm a High School drop out, what university did you buy your degree from?

Unlike your seven years in a publicly funded high school, university does cost money. Nice try...for a high school drop out like yourself.

1  2  Next