Canada Kicks Ass
pic of winter damage in Van BC. Caution!! it's horrific.

Previous  1  2  3  Next

ZuZu @ Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:39 am

Twila Twila:

Good God! Can you imagine if you'd tried to SIT in that chair!?! You might have got a wet bottom! Oh, the horror! The horror!!!

Hopper @ Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:07 am

Yeah, well you guys on the west coast have to put up with warm weather and precipitation that doesn't need heavy equipment, but guess what? WE get to have storm days where the city shuts down and we have nothing to do but stay home from work (paid) and smoke some mother nature!

Personally, I'll take the snow.......... :wink:

nonrev @ Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:24 pm

MaritimePride MaritimePride:
Personally, I'll take the snow.......... :wink:

Hmmm - sounds like you may have been making a little too much use of "mother Nature".... :wink:

Rev_Blair @ Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:07 pm

Plus equipment is fun to operate. I got to drive a bobcat today at work! 8)

sk1d @ Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:16 pm

rev, you're going to post that bobcat thing in every thread aren't you? i've seen twice already

Winterpeg here gets some pretty nasty weather, but when was the last time the city shut down? Rev, help me out, you've probably lived here longer than I have. the highschool i went has never missed one day of school because of the weather since 1820.

you people that have to call in the army when a little snow falls, wusses all of ya

Twila @ Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:35 pm

$1:
you people that have to call in the army when a little snow falls, wusses all of ya

Ah, come on now Sk1d. You saw the picture. It was horrific! And it gets more horrific when it snows here. Just try and drive here when the ground is covered in snow! It's downright dangerous! Course it's not the snow that's causes the danger :wink:

Rev_Blair @ Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:53 am

The last time that Winnipeg shut down was 1986. It started Friday evening and snowed into Sunday morning. I ran out of smokes and had to walk to 7-11 for more...about a mile and half each way...through thigh-high snow. We never called in the army, although they did assist in getting medical workers to work and back. Monday I was back at work.

There was another big blizzard in the 1990's...can't remember the exact year, but it was one of those spring blizzards...that came close to shutting the city down. Again it started on a Friday and went into Saturday. My Saturday morning flight home from Vancouver was delayed several hours, 15 minutes at a time. Again, we never called the army in.

Yes, sk1d, I am going to post about that bobcat a lot. I had a hoot driving it and never hit anything. I haven't had that much fun since the pigs ate my little brother, as the old saying goes. In fact the first thing I'm going to do today is take the bobcat outside. Then I'm going to go to the dentist.

feeko @ Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:48 pm

we used to have a rather large elm tree in the yard...kinda close to the house.It slowly died...and one summer storm.I hear a boom outside....old elmlost a rather large limb..took out the patio table...glass everywhere..a few chairs...not enough for the ins. to get involved..but enough to well take a bite outta the beer budget....anygiven day ...

Hopper @ Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:49 am

Well our city was shut down because of 95 Centimeters falling within 24 hours!

You try driving to work then.......

p.s. - It was a CANADIAN record

p.p.s - can you ever have too much Mother Nature???? :?

sk1d @ Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:45 pm

here they would have cleaned it up by the next morning and everyone around here drives an SUV os it wouldn't have been a big deal

quit your wining

Rev_Blair @ Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:33 pm

$1:
here they would have cleaned it up by the next morning and everyone around here drives an SUV os it wouldn't have been a big deal

Well maybe if I could get the Bobcat back, but the dealership took it back...we don't get to keep everything we photograph. :cry:

Without that Bobcat though...We would likely get it cleaned up faster because we deal with snowfall on a regular basis so we have the equipment and plans in place, but in 24 hours? Not bloody likely. We've had between two and three times more than the average snowfall this year. It is usually hauled away so you don't get those huge snowbanks blocking vision at the corners...not this year.

Our snow also tends to be dry and powdery. Not quite as hard to deal with as the stuff they get on the east coast.

As for all these heros in their gas-sucking SUVs...I passed a few of them in my car this morning. Seems that with all that 4x4 traction they still can't stay out of the Dugald ditch and have trouble maintaining control on Mission Road. How much snow did we get last night? Maybe 5 centimeters? Snow on the ground for six months of every year, trucks with plenty of traction and clearance, and they still can't drive in it.

AdamNF @ Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:46 pm

My mom ownes an SUV and my dad has the biggest pickup i have ever seen.

I drive a Civic... :oops:

Hopper @ Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:13 am

How could you drive your gas sucking SUV when it's buried?? Considering they found a transport truck that had been buried I doubt anything that you drive could have made it.

Have you ever had a metre of snow fall with 120 km/h winds that cause a drift 8 feet tall? Add to that the moisture that is in eastern snow - not that sweet little puffy flowery stuff that Winterpeg gets.

Remember - it was a Canadian record. Don't slag it till you try it.

And by the way - we have never called in the army for snow.

Rev_Blair @ Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:35 am

It's a common thing among us Winnipeggers, MP. We get a lot of snow compared to Regina or Calgary. We love to laugh at Toronto for calling in the army. We get constantly slagged because of the cold and snow. The result is that we think we can handle major storms better.

We generally can too...Like I said we have the equipment and plans in place. It's a pretty efficient operation. Most of us have never seen anything close to what you guys got though. I think the closest I've seen was in Ottawa when I was a kid, and the winds were no where near what you had to deal with. I don't know how much snow there was (I was in grade four or five) but it shut down the schools for a couple of days...there was a lot of snow, more than I've seen since, and it was wet and heavy.

Twila @ Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:25 am

I'm reading your guy's posts about how much snow you get and how you cope and I'm thinking to myself...."If Vancouver got even a third of that snow......" Well forget calling in the army, we'd be calling upon the world to dig us out. That's of course if we survived!

When I lived on Vancouver Island we got the worse snow fall in recorded history there. 1996. It was up to my waist. Yes the city shut down, people went hungry, it was a blast for some (for me and my family) but hell for others.

I work with a girl from the Yukon. I had no idea of the little tricks that are done when snow falls there. 1 of the tricks is that you don't shower that morning. in case your car breaks down and you litterally freeze to death. There were many more that I was absolutely stunned by.

Previous  1  2  3  Next