Canada Kicks Ass
Radio Time and a Vivelecanada.ca Hat

1  2  Next

KevinGagnon @ Fri May 14, 2004 9:07 pm

I encourage others to find ways to get vivelecanada.ca brought to the attention of people in your local area.

Kevin

Reverend Blair @ Fri May 14, 2004 9:09 pm

Maybe we should get a bevy of hats and shirts and sell them through/for the site? I think somebody (Susan? Jesse?) suggested that before somewhere. We'd need to make sure there was a "Made in Canada" tag on them someplace though...I know Molson took a lot of flak for their hats and shirts being made in China, and all they were doing was flogging beer by giving stuff away.

KevinGagnon @ Fri May 14, 2004 9:13 pm

Rev,

I agree. The guy I'm getting to make my hats does them from a Work World franchise. Not sure if his actually part of the franchise or if he does it as his own business through Work World. Anyways I'm gonna see about also having a made in canada label on the hat.

I figure 5$ hat is pretty good. I still have a hard time believing his only gonna charge me 5$ per hat.

Kevin

Reverend Blair @ Sat May 15, 2004 8:29 am

My mother-in-law bought a Nike hat for me when I forgot to take one to the cottage last summer...$20.00 and it was sweat-stained and dirty two hours later (I was building her a deck). I realised then that I'd never actually paid for a hat in my life, they've always come free. I have no idea what they are worth.

$5.00 seems like a pretty reasonable price though.

KevinGagnon @ Sat May 15, 2004 9:58 am

Yah Rev, normally a hat can cost anywhere between 10$ and in most cases hats with name brand labels can cost 25$. Even a Canada hat I was looking at was going for 20$. Funny thing it had a made in china label.

Kevin

Jesse @ Sat May 15, 2004 1:18 pm

[QUOTE BY= Reverend Blair] Maybe we should get a bevy of hats and shirts and sell them through/for the site? I think somebody (Susan? Jesse?) suggested that before somewhere. We'd need to make sure there was a "Made in Canada" tag on them someplace though...I know Molson took a lot of flak for their hats and shirts being made in China, and all they were doing was flogging beer by giving stuff away. [/QUOTE] We would definitely need to be careful about where the clothing is made. I'm actually okay with it being made elsewhere, provided it is made/bought without sweatshops involved. Such clothing is on the agenda, we just haven't gotten around to doing it. If anyone could track down a list of shops that will do printing on sweatshop-free or local materials, it would be a great first step...

KevinGagnon @ Sat May 15, 2004 7:27 pm

I'm gonna look and see where the hat was made. The guy who will make the hat for me is using a hat that has already been made, he just needs to put the text and logo on it. I will make sure no sweatshops are involved.

I'm getting one made for my dad, myself and the girl at the radio station.

Kevin

Milton @ Sat May 15, 2004 8:35 pm

Yes, but where does work world get there hats from. A lot of stuff I have seen has a made in Canada tag on it and when you look closer the parts are made in China. So we would need to be sure that it was actually made in Canada other wise we will look like Republicans.

KevinGagnon @ Sun May 16, 2004 6:36 am

Yep, like I said. I plan on asking all those questions and taking a look at the hat and see for myself. If there's any sign at all that these had may have been made in sweatshops. I'll simply shop around for my own plain hat and ask him to put the text on it afterwards.

Kevin

Reverend Blair @ Sun May 16, 2004 6:42 am

I've been accused of looking like a lot of things, Milton. Republican has never been one of them though. :lol: I'm not sure how you'd check something like origin of material out. I'm not even sure how we can be sure that a sweat-shops weren't used at some stage of the manufacture anything. At some point don't we just have to accept the label and go by the reputation of the company/country that produced the item?

KevinGagnon @ Sun May 16, 2004 7:26 am

I wear a hat that has the text on the front (CAW TCA) (Ford) (NEMAK). The hat's label say's its made in Canada and Produced by UFCW. I assume this hat wasn't made in any sweatshops. But like Rev said, how would I know for sure.

Kevin

Jesse @ Sun May 16, 2004 2:36 pm

[QUOTE BY= KevinGagnon] I wear a hat that has the text on the front (CAW TCA) (Ford) (NEMAK). The hat's label say's its made in Canada and Produced by UFCW. I assume this hat wasn't made in any sweatshops. But like Rev said, how would I know for sure. Kevin[/QUOTE] In general, if it doesn't explicitly say it was not made in a sweatshop, you'll have to assume it was. You could call the company that made the hat and follow the supply chain back.

KevinGagnon @ Mon May 17, 2004 7:30 am

<p>Well it looks like no one sells "made in canada" hats in town. I looked around and their all "made in china" hats. I guess I'll have to look online for some Canadian stores that sell "made in canada" hats. <p>Jesse, check this company out. May be an option if you decide to do up some hats. I'm waiting a reply to try and confirm these hats are made in canada. <p><a href="http://www.impression.ca/products/Baseball_Caps.htm"><b>hats</b></a> <p>Kevin

Jesse @ Mon May 17, 2004 8:48 am

I'm not surprised that most local retailers use the cheapest product, that usually being the imported sweatshop-made stuff.

That company definitely sounds like a pretty good choice; among other things they have t-shirts made from 50% recycled bottle caps.

Sadly it looks like they are aimed at larger customers; on those t-shirt, there's a minimum order of 144. There's no way vive would be selling that many on an initial order. :/

KevinGagnon @ Mon May 17, 2004 9:39 am

I wonder if they would compromise for vivelecanada.ca. Maybe even offering to put their logo on the back or something.

Kevin

1  2  Next