Canada Kicks Ass
Ranks?

1  2  Next

Jesse @ Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:18 pm

just so everyone knows, there ranks would be assigned along with the number of stars by your name in the forums. So each threshold you reach in # of posts(possibly modified by other stuff later) gets you the next highest rank. My original thought was { citizen | voter | activist | candidate | representative }, but that would be very misleading.

Kory Yamashita @ Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:43 pm

Susan, your hockey idea is a bit broader than you think. If you take the classic youth sports system you could get something like: </P> Tykes (hockey only?), Novice, Atom (hockey only), Peewee, Bantom, Midget, Juvenile, Junior, Professional </P> That's the progression in hockey. Baseball follows a similar structure, and other sports as well. </P> Other ranking systems that I can think of are military or chess (pieces or actual rankings like "grandmaster"). That's all I've got off the top of my head.

Dr Caleb @ Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:27 pm

It definitely should be a sport type system. A military ranking may not sit too well with some of the more left of centre in the group.<p> Hockey would of course be the obvious choice for the sport, chess isn't a bad idea ethier. <p> Or a 'prosperity'/zen thing. 'On an Enlightened journey'. 'Travelling the Golden Path'. 'Nominated for Nirvana'. That sort of thing. 'Candidate for Reincarnation' could be for banned IP's.<p>

whelan costen @ Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:30 pm

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of 'ranks' does this create a sort of prestige for Vive members, or how is it going to be viewed. If it is to encourage or acknowlege contributions then the ranks need to be positive...I'm not sure how I would like being a chess 'pawn' or a pee-wee? Could you expand on the purpose then maybe we could tailor make the categories to the purpose? Also I don't know what the stars mean...explanation please.

Jesse @ Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:49 pm

[QUOTE BY= whelan costen] I'm not sure I understand the purpose of 'ranks' does this create a sort of prestige for Vive members, or how is it going to be viewed. If it is to encourage or acknowlege contributions then the ranks need to be positive...I'm not sure how I would like being a chess 'pawn' or a pee-wee? Could you expand on the purpose then maybe we could tailor make the categories to the purpose? Also I don't know what the stars mean...explanation please.[/QUOTE] The ranks and the stars are merely an indication of how active you are, and are merely for prestige. They *might* be factored into your membership status for voting at general meetings, but for now it is merely for show.

sthompson @ Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:12 am

Kind of following the zen theme, I could see the admins being "gurus"--Jesse tends to call himself that anyway :) <P> I totally agree with Dr Caleb that we should stay away from military terminology. <P> I would like to keep the ranks very Canadian if possible. Maybe Hoser, Canuck, etc etc? But what would the higher ranks be?

Dr Caleb @ Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:05 pm

[QUOTE BY= sthompson]
I would like to keep the ranks very Canadian if possible. Maybe Hoser, Canuck, etc etc? But what would the higher ranks be?[/QUOTE]

Papoose -> Hoser -> Trapper -> Canuck -> One with the Beaver? Loonie?

Jesse @ Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:22 pm

[QUOTE BY= Dr Caleb]Papoose -> Hoser -> Trapper -> Canuck -> One with the Beaver? Loonie? [/QUOTE] I like this idea! 'Loonie' as the top level might be fun, and it would fit with the idea of us being left-wing nuts ;)

whelan costen @ Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:02 pm

I like the last one, papoose etc. the sports ones are not descriptive enough, and this other route is more Canadian exclusive and a little bit fun; it indicates we don't take ourselves too seriously, although the issues are...I think...

sthompson @ Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:06 pm

Loonie seems like it should be LOWER though, not higher. Loonie, twoonie, etc. Loonie, Timbit, Hoser, Canuck? <P> We could go with Canadian PMs--maybe Joe Clark would be a good start, with people like Dief, Trudeau in there somewhere and with Sir John A as highest? <P> Then there's always curling terminology... <p> Or how about a toque ranking system--black toque, red toque, red and white toque, golden toque? <P> Actually, what might work well is to copy the House of Commons, since we're debating. So imagine question period. You've got the paiges (maybe spelled pages) who are the university students who kind of assist with things--perfect for our newbies. You've got the speaker who watches over all proceedings (admins or maybe moderators). You've got the sergeant-at-arms who carries the mace and is responsible for keeping things secure (moderators, if anyone). ANd you've got the MPs and cabinet ministers, which would be good middle ranks. <p> page<br> MP<br> cabinet minister<br> (others could be PM? party leader? opposition critic?)<br> sergeant-at-arms (moderator)<br> speaker (admin)

Poz @ Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:40 pm

Im a fan of the Canadian terms one: papoose, hoser, trapper, Canuck, Maple Leaf, Timbit (for sure!!), Canadian Bacon, Loonie, Toonie. Now to just figure out an order...

Dr Caleb @ Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:17 pm

From Susan's idea, I like the HoP, but include the Senate for the Moderators/Admins. If there were a negative ranking system, then they could slide toward the opposition side. (Leader of the Opposition, here I come :)<p> I like Poz's "Timbit" thought :lol: It does have the feel of a little more like we take the issues seriously, but not ourselves. Very Canadian in itself.<p>

Poz @ Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:51 pm

[QUOTE BY= Dr Caleb] I like Poz's "Timbit" thought :lol: It does have the feel of a little more like we take the issues seriously, but not ourselves. Very Canadian in itself.<p> [/QUOTE] Actually it was Susan's idea :D The house of commons idea would be much easier for a ranking system though

KevinGagnon @ Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:41 pm

I'm o.k with the pro (NHL) rank ;)

KevinGagnon @ Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:00 am

I'm a "beer hunter" now. What's the next rank? Hang over ;) Kevin

1  2  Next