Canada Kicks Ass
Snowflake Dilemma

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Zipperfish @ Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:33 pm

I'm Gen X, which the ones right after the Baby Boomers. It sucked growing up in the shadow of the Boomers. They were so much bigger that their demographic, by dint of sheer numbers alone, shaped the society around them. When they were in their twenties they rebelled (the 60s). When they were thirty-something, they explored (the 70s). When they were in their 40s, they cocooned and accumulated (the 80s). And so on.

AS for the millenials, in the words of a great Boomer band: "The kids are all right."

Thanos @ Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest,
But they should never have taken the very best

Someone should have run the above lyric from Levon Helm past the Boomers when they were shaping everyone else's economic destinies in the 1980's and 90's with the neo-liberal globalist savages they elected into office everywhere. Don't know specifically why they apparently didn't give a damn at all about what they were setting up for others to endure, what with their big communal and fight-for-rights hearts & souls and all that they were so proud of back in the sixties.

Freakinoldguy @ Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Robair Robair:
[BF]

It's called overkill. Now "everybody" has to go to university no matter how dense, thick, broke or incapable of learning they are. Because of that fact having a degree in some of the disciplines has been watered down to the point that it's basically not worth the parchment it was written on which, explains why alot of these places like Walmart and McBloats can ask for and hire college graduates.

And no, I don't blame the kids because, they and their parents have been brainwashed by the media, universities and society into thinking that by having a University Degree you'll be much better off than a tradesman plus you'll make 30% more in wages over your lifetime than a non graduate. Unfortunately that 30% only applies to degrees which are in demand and even then, the the vast number of graduates means that you'll have to be one of the top ones to even garner an interview let alone any interest.

So, when you think about it your meme is only partially accurate because back in the 50's and 60's if one child from a family of 8 went to university they did well. Now every kid in the family has to go to university to get the same result.

PluggyRug @ Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 am

More Snowflake drama ROTFL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ogise.html

$1:
Dreaming of a white campus?': 'Snowflake students' force University College London to apologise for 'racist' Tweet warning of wintery weather

University College London has been forced to apologise for saying 'white' Christmas in case it racially offended its students.

The university, ranked 16th in the world, posted a message on its Twitter page letting students know the campus was open despite some parts of Britain being covered by 13 inches of snow.

It said: 'Dreaming of a white campus? Our campuses will be open and operating fully today, Monday 11 December, so please make your way in as planned. (We can't guarantee snow but we'll try!) #snowday #londonsnow'

But it quickly apologised and said that it 'chose our words very poorly' and the university said it was 'sorry' for the tweet.

When the social media team uploaded the original tweet, the university said it was referencing Bing Crosby's famous festive song, White Christmas.

It later wrote: 'We chose our words very poorly yesterday when thinking of this song (Bing Crosby). We're sorry and we'll choose our words more carefully in the future.'

But the apology has been slammed online, with social media users saying that 'snowflakes are getting snowflaky over snow'.

DrCaleb @ Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:49 am

"I'm Dreaming of an {Aryan} Christmas". :lol:

Universities are broken.

PluggyRug @ Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Who's Hairy Anne. :D

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:38 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Who's Hairy Anne. :D

I believe if the internet is right it might just be this special snowflake. :wink:

martin14 @ Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:51 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
"I'm Dreaming of an {Aryan} Christmas". :lol:

Universities are broken.

Not Aryan, just white. :lol: :lol:

PluggyRug @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Another snowflake... :mrgreen:

$1:
An academic journal has published an article by a Ph.D. candidate at Pennsylvania State University that argues eating meat maintains a society where “hegemonic masculinity” is the norm.

Anne DeLessio-Parson, whose article was published in Gender, Place and Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography, based her research on Argentina’s “meat-centric” culture.

“I contend that in such a context, we cannot separate the ways people ‘do vegetarianism’ from how they ‘do gender,’” Anne DeLessio-Parson wrote. “Doing vegetarianism in interactions drives social change, contributing to the de-linking of meat from gender hegemony and revealing the resisting and reworking of gender in food spaces.”

DeLessio-Parson theorizes that being a vegetarian in the South American nation is a political act that contributes to the destabilization of the gender binary, or the view that there are only two sexes, masculine and feminine.

“[V]egetarians defy attempts to hold them accountable to gendered social expectations,” she wrote. “Women, for example, assert authority over their diets; men embody rejection of the meat-masculinity nexus by adopting a worldview that also rejects sexism and racism.”

The Penn State student became interested in the topic after spending five years as a vegetarian in Argentina, where she worked as a community organizer and teacher. In an interview with Campus Reform, DeLessio-Parson said it was during her time in the country that she came to believe that vegetarianism was both a lifestyle choice and feminist act.

“Women, one of the ways they push back against patriarchy, they say, 'This is my body. You don't get to tell me what comes in and out,’” she told Campus Reform.

After being picked up by numerous far-right media outlets, DeLessio-Parson’s study was lambasted by many social media users…of both genders.

“I guess im [sic] going to be reinforcing gender stereotypes at lunch today with my ground turkey.... and just when I thought I’d get to escape politics at lunch!” Whitney Joseph of Connecticut tweeted on Monday.

“My daughters the carnivores are going to be really bummed that I don't want to further hegemonic masculinity so they have to eat salad while I finish my steak,” tweeted Frank Miller of Wisconsin.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/05...rnal-says.html

BartSimpson @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:55 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Another snowflake... :mrgreen:

$1:
An academic journal has published an article by a Ph.D. candidate at Pennsylvania State University that argues eating meat maintains a society where “hegemonic masculinity” is the norm.

Anne DeLessio-Parson, whose article was published in Gender, Place and Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography, based her research on Argentina’s “meat-centric” culture.

“I contend that in such a context, we cannot separate the ways people ‘do vegetarianism’ from how they ‘do gender,’” Anne DeLessio-Parson wrote. “Doing vegetarianism in interactions drives social change, contributing to the de-linking of meat from gender hegemony and revealing the resisting and reworking of gender in food spaces.”

DeLessio-Parson theorizes that being a vegetarian in the South American nation is a political act that contributes to the destabilization of the gender binary, or the view that there are only two sexes, masculine and feminine.

“[V]egetarians defy attempts to hold them accountable to gendered social expectations,” she wrote. “Women, for example, assert authority over their diets; men embody rejection of the meat-masculinity nexus by adopting a worldview that also rejects sexism and racism.”

The Penn State student became interested in the topic after spending five years as a vegetarian in Argentina, where she worked as a community organizer and teacher. In an interview with Campus Reform, DeLessio-Parson said it was during her time in the country that she came to believe that vegetarianism was both a lifestyle choice and feminist act.

“Women, one of the ways they push back against patriarchy, they say, 'This is my body. You don't get to tell me what comes in and out,’” she told Campus Reform.

After being picked up by numerous far-right media outlets, DeLessio-Parson’s study was lambasted by many social media users…of both genders.

“I guess im [sic] going to be reinforcing gender stereotypes at lunch today with my ground turkey.... and just when I thought I’d get to escape politics at lunch!” Whitney Joseph of Connecticut tweeted on Monday.

“My daughters the carnivores are going to be really bummed that I don't want to further hegemonic masculinity so they have to eat salad while I finish my steak,” tweeted Frank Miller of Wisconsin.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/05...rnal-says.html

Here's the hypocrite enjoying herself at a barbeque in Argentina.

PluggyRug @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:37 pm

ROTFL

BartSimpson @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:47 pm

:lol:

fifeboy @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:49 pm

On the other hand, I understand the Argies really know how to do aBBQ

herbie @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:45 pm

$1:
It's called overkill. Now "everybody" has to go to university no matter how dense, thick, broke or incapable of learning they are

You need certificates to be a mall cop. A night watchman. A flagger.
You need FoodSafe, ServingItRight to sling coffee
There's certificates for goddam babysitters these days.

And I'm goddam sorry to say I know why. Went thru dozens too fucking useless to pass one of these.

Favorite story of all time: the guy who slapped a bunch of papers on my counter, said I had to fill them out and he'd be back at 4:30.
They were 'how to make a resume and fill out a job application' from the employment agency upstairs. He came back at 4:30 and was furious I hadn't filled them out. To this day, I don't even know what his fucking name was...
Beat out the 3 a week who wanted me to sign the paper saying they'd applied for a job, so they could keep their welfare. None ever actually asked if we were hiring...

Freakinoldguy @ Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:24 am

herbie herbie:
$1:
It's called overkill. Now "everybody" has to go to university no matter how dense, thick, broke or incapable of learning they are

You need certificates to be a mall cop. A night watchman. A flagger.
You need FoodSafe, ServingItRight to sling coffee
There's certificates for goddam babysitters these days.

And I'm goddam sorry to say I know why. Went thru dozens too fucking useless to pass one of these.

Favorite story of all time: the guy who slapped a bunch of papers on my counter, said I had to fill them out and he'd be back at 4:30.
They were 'how to make a resume and fill out a job application' from the employment agency upstairs. He came back at 4:30 and was furious I hadn't filled them out. To this day, I don't even know what his fucking name was...
Beat out the 3 a week who wanted me to sign the paper saying they'd applied for a job, so they could keep their welfare. None ever actually asked if we were hiring...

And meanwhile the toilets backup, the appliances breakdown, and buildings go dark because everyone's far to smart to be a tradesman. Go figure that despite all those things you still need a degree to sling hamburgers in some greasy chain restaurant even though Corporate has already purchased the mechanical marvel that'll soon be replacing your over educated ass. :P

Millennials may be far to entitled and whiny but I still feel sorry for them because they don't stand a chance. They've been conditioned through years of brainwashing by schools, their parents and society that the only way to validate their lives is to get a university degree and anything less means they're a failure. A fact which, when combined with the these bastions of higher education that are much more interested in making a buck off these kids rather than making sure they get the educations they need to make a living, it becomes the perfect cocktail for failure and indebtedness.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next