Canada Kicks Ass
What are you eating?

Previous  1 ... 148  149  150  151  152  153  154 ... 161  Next

DrCaleb @ Mon May 02, 2022 12:06 pm

I'm not 100% sure that it was 100% white grapefruit juice. Seemed to have some orange and lemon in there. Wrong kind of tart finish, and wrong sweetness.

Strutz @ Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 pm

Just finished having an early dinner. Our local Ukrainian community centre was offering a take-out supper today starting at 4 so we got there at 345 before they even opened the doors and many others were early as well. A combo of perogies, cabbage rolls and meatballs with gravy, topped with pickle and beet slices. [drool] Neither of us could quite finish it all so there are leftovers for later plus apple crisp dessert.

We were talking to the fellow ahead us in line who said when they did the fundraiser dinner last month he missed out because they ran out of food by 5pm! I had read on their website that they sold over 500 dinners that day and I am so glad we had gotten there early then as well as today.

raydan @ Fri May 20, 2022 5:24 pm

The early bird gets the perogies. [drool]

housewife @ Fri May 20, 2022 7:55 pm

That sounds so good Strutz! I’m having a fruit creme cookie and coffee… it’s decaf :(

DrCaleb @ Wed May 25, 2022 6:44 am

Traditional Muslei. Oats, coconut, sunflower seed, dried currants, fresh blackberries, blueberries and raspberries.

Nothing cooked.

DrCaleb @ Thu May 26, 2022 10:05 am

Bagel. Cream cheese. Gravlax, a few capers and sliced pickled onion. [drool]

herbie @ Thu May 26, 2022 10:58 am

Wanted that the other day, but LoseOn Foods wanted $19.99 for a tiny pkg of lox that would make only 2....
Week later it was $7.99 but bagels were over $5 as was cream cheese
Blah blah supply chain.... the Pacific Ocean is just GONE like the Alberta oil fields, those dairy cattle across the street, the wheat from the prairies, the thousands of trucks hogging the highway and those mile long trains only capable of carrying coal and raw logs!

DrCaleb @ Thu May 26, 2022 11:15 am

I get salmon from a friend who goes on an annual trip and cure and smoke it myself. I grow and pickle the onions, and get the bagels and capers at the market.

herbie @ Thu May 26, 2022 7:23 pm

The dotard cashier always asks if I found everything I wanted. I'd always answer no, so they'd try to be helpful and ask what I couldn't find. I'd answer: Capers, fresh oysters, Korean chili powder, mangosteens and Japanese mayonnaise and watch them go blank.

That was 2 years ago. Now I answer bread, milk, eggs and hamburger meat.....

herbie @ Sat May 28, 2022 1:33 pm

I have a friend who's such a fucking redneck it even extends to his diet. Not only mocks my vegan daughter like I do but actually goes miles out of his way NOT to eat anything remotely healthy or "foreign".
His own son owns and runs a sushi place for the last decade, and he's never even tasted anything there. Proud of himself that he'll eat sweet&sour pork or chow mein once in a while. Adventurous, eh?
Last night he was irate, we dinner every Friday (takeout and eat at my place, they've only opened eat in in the cafe section designed in the 1960s to keep you from sitting there for too long) and the regular Chinese place was closed. He only gets cheeseburger. So I had placed the order at another takeout and THEY DIDN'T LEAVE OFF LETTUCE AND TOMATO. Honestly, lettuce, mushroom, tomato, mushrooms - won't even touch with his fingers. Cheese and bacon on a burger - only that.
So he always has coffee (only person I know that can't pass a Timmies for a double double extra large) and I was a fucking lazy host and didn't want to dig the sugar bin out of the pantry just for his two spoon fulls. Had a thing of Sugar In The Raw we used for baking and sprinkling on fancy coffees - the guy actually made a fucking scene.
What IS this shit?
What the hell is IN it?
I told him "Everything but the fucking bleach! Just fucking use it!"

His wife laughed and told me how she fooled him into eating butter chicken once, he liked it but never tasted it again because it was Indian, some damn food for foreigners. We decided we'd hit the Indian Tandoori restaurant in the next town some Friday and he could sit out in the car and have a couple McD's cheeseburgers.

How can you live like that? Do some people experience pain if they so much as notice they have taste buds?

DrCaleb @ Sat May 28, 2022 2:30 pm

I wonder what he'd do if he figures out Burgers are actually German.

The only real 'Canadian' food would be something like pemmican.

herbie @ Sun May 29, 2022 9:00 pm

Level 4 Chili chicken and Garlic naan from the Tandoori place in the next town. MM that wa s Sunday dinner!

OMG it was open on a Sunday at dinner time!!! And it was mostly full with a lineup for take outs. You'd think they wanted to make money or something.

It also cost $2 less than a burger and shake at the grease pit here in town.

Strutz @ Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:12 pm

My partner shocked me when I got home from work and I asked him if he'd taken out any meat from the freezer for dinner or what was he into having tonight? He said he had a craving for Chinese food. Hell, we haven't ordered in Chinese I think since before the whole covid thing. Went the website of a local place we'd ordered from before and pondered over their selections and he wanted to go overboard on items as everything looked and sounded good. I remembered that they were pretty generous on their portions so I got him to take a step back and we settled on 3 dishes plus rice and spring rolls. Not only was everything absolutely yummy but Holy crap we have enough to feed us tomorrow and maybe lunch on Friday.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:05 am

There is a place around the corner that does the best Chinese food in town, and they do it 100% animal free. You'd never know you weren't eating General Tsao Chicken, if someone didn't tell you there was no Chicken in it.

That is what will be for Lunch. Thanks Strutz. [drool]

Strutz @ Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:44 pm

My partner made a a big bowl of potato salad today. A great way to use up some red nugget potatoes we had on hand plus some of this and that from the fridge (must utilize everything!). It was [drool] and a perfect dinner for a very warm day here. There is enough leftover for lunch tomorrow, both for him and for me to take to work.

Previous  1 ... 148  149  150  151  152  153  154 ... 161  Next