Canada Kicks Ass
www.flyourflag.ca on the walls @ school

1  2  Next

KevinGagnon @ Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:56 pm

N Say, I think if these individuals want to get more publicity for things like flyyourflag. They would do allot more if they all started a site like vive. Can you imagine if there was a vive site promoted in each city or province. Maybe that's another suggestion for vivelecanada.ca to give people the opportunity to promote vivelecanada.ca locally. Maybe flyers, business style cards, event planners etc....Future idea. Kevin

whelan costen @ Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:43 am

Sounds like censorship to me...can't have students thinking for themselves! :(

Kory Yamashita @ Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:56 am

In my highschool, some friends of mine published a weekly newsletter critiquing the way the school was run. Everything from teacher attitudes to the manner in which building upgrades were being made were discussed. The authors were careful not to slander "the administration" was used rather than anyone's actual name. Because they were critiquing the administration, the principal and his cronies descended upon this newsletter and banned it from school grounds. Although other people could freely (although technically illegitimately) distribute whatever views they wanted around school, this one was banned, with administrators citing parts of the School Act that basically say that freedom of speech and the charter of rights do not apply in schools. (This after my friend quoted the charter of rights to argue his right to publish his newsletter). I'm not sure if it's the same for universities, but wow! It ended with him distributing just on the other side of the legal school grounds property line. There he was, shoved aside with all the other rejects of society. Smokers and free thinkers.

N Say @ Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:55 pm

There's a technical term which serious sociologists use for that. It's called the hidden curriculum, which says that the grades that a student gets has more to do with attendance, attentiveness, obedience to authority, learning about deadlines, etc than what is 'officially' taught. It's the "transmission of norms & values", among other things, according to sociology.org. Here's the <a href="http://www.sociology.org.uk/tece1tl.htm">definition</a> & <a href="http://www.sociology.org.uk/tece1tl2.htm">what Roland Meighan wrote</a> about hidden curriculum.

tifani @ Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:55 pm

N Say, I go to UVic too, and I also noticed all the flyourflag.ca chalk on the walls. Most of it was still up today.

Poz @ Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:18 pm

Kevin, promoting Vive le Canada is a great idea that we should all be doing. Everyone could just take a couple of measures to promote this site like:

- put www.vivelecanada.ca on your MSN/Yahoo Sign-in name
- put info on chalkboards in classrooms
- printing off some small cards and strategically leaving them on tables, desks, counters
- designing simple posters and puting them up around your community
- mention it to acquaintences and friends
- I was even thinking of getting a t-shirt made up, hey maybe we could eventually sell shirts as a fundraising activity :D

This is all pretty important right now as we have an election approaching really soon

Kory Yamashita @ Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:08 am

N_say, and how does that acknowledge my sleeping through class and getting straight A's in high school? :evil: ;) haha school prepares you for the life beyond school, be it unfair elections or whatever....

N Say @ Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:26 am

[QUOTE BY= tifani] N Say, I go to UVic too, and I also noticed all the flyourflag.ca chalk on the walls. Most of it was still up today.[/QUOTE] I saw the guys spraying it off the walls of DSB & Clearihue. I just assumed that it would be getting washed off every building.

tifani @ Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:45 pm

Looks like they didn't get it all. :) Yes, we should all do our best to spread the word. I've put ViveleCanada.ca in my sig in other forums.

whelan costen @ Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:19 pm

Kory, sleeping through class and still getting A's says more about the curriculum, and what it wasn't teaching, unless they were prepping you for the House of Commons? Sad state of affairs, really sad, had they taught what they should have in school we wouldn't have to learn it now, what a waste of productive years! :evil:

Kory Yamashita @ Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:06 pm

Whelan, the curriculum is geared towards the LCD - lowest common denominator. The goal is to make sure that people who are extremely lazy and don't care about school and have no interest to do well there will still pass. And that means someone like me who did care about it end up only slightly caring and not really showing much interest and not paying attention in class and still getting good marks. Actually, I've heard that the curriculums in other provinces are more challenging. Alberta is rumoured to have way more challenging system than BC. But it's more than the curriculum. It's an entire attitude employed by the entire system. Until they stop treating students as a commodity with student numbers, bell curves, percentage-based marking, etc, we'll never really achieve a really interesting educational atmosphere. They set it up so that only the top maybe 5% or so of the class FEELS like they're truly successful. Whereas in a project-based system you could graduate an entire class of people who feel that they've accomplished something impressive just by completing the course. Oh well, the system's weaknesses are self-perpetuating. Only through evolution will we actually see change.

polo @ Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:57 pm

personally on the whole school is geared to the LCD I agree but I think a large part of the problem we cerated ourselves. No parent wants to have the 'stupid' kid. Everybody thinks to be something you have to do well in school and we devalue great jobs like the mechanics carpenters, and hairdressers. You may laugh ha the hair dresser, but have you ever cut your own hair? These are ppl who may be really smart but just maybe not school smart. HOwever the parent devalues it and complains thier kid does not do well in school, all of a sudden LCD is in effect. PS I agree with all you said as well. I think the whole education thing needs some serious revamping. I mean right now it is like windows ME and needs to be somewhere like mac OSX

Jesse @ Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:26 pm

It would be great if people would advertise for vive, but we do ask you to keep it simple; if you're going to distribute flyers or other written materials, <b>please</b> run it past Susan, myself, or one of the other board members before doing so. While there's no such thing as bad publicity, we do prefer having a say in how we are publicised, and we definitely don't want to be associated with illegal things (like permanent paint, wasted paper everywhere, etc) <p> That being said, just putting the URL on chalkboards and things would be great. We're planning on getting some stickers printed up in the near future; that sort of thing is much easier now that we have a definite 'look' and logo.

KevinGagnon @ Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:30 pm

We have an excellent place in our city where a vivelecanada.ca banner can go. If you ever get a outside banner made up for vivelecanada.ca, let me know. There's this old bridge that is basically in almost the center of the town which isn't used anymore, but it still serves as a underpass for traffic. So almost everyone in the city at one time or another goes under this bridge.

Many charities and local events use this space on the bridge for advertising. I can put a vivelecanada.ca banner up there.

Kevin

KevinGagnon @ Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:06 am

<p>I'll look today and see what it would cost for me to do up a banner which would show this picture. Of course I will seek permission from the vive management before going ahead if I decide the cost isn't too much for me to handle ;) <p><b>Jesse</b> I hope you don't get mad at me that I did some changes to the logo you created. If I broke some rules, I apologize and I hope just a simple "sorry" is good enough :D The image is pretty much the same as the site logo, accept with some little changes. <p>Well the IMG option didn't work for some reason. So here's the direct link to the image.<br><a href="http://www.personainternet.com/kevingagnon/vivelecanada.JPG"><b>Vive Le Canada Banner Image</b></a>

1  2  Next