Donny_Brasco @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:21 am

$1:
Ex-residential school students get $1.9 billion
Deal by Ottawa, natives, churches

Average payout pegged at $24,000
Apr. 26, 2006. 01:00 AM
GRAHAM FRASER
NATIONAL AFFAIRS WRITER

OTTAWA— A final $1.9 billion agreement has been reached on the long-awaited residential schools question.

Indian Affairs and Northern Development Minister Jim Prentice told the House of Commons yesterday "a substantive agreement on a final residential schools settlement agreement" was reached between the federal government's representative, former Supreme Court Justice Frank Iacobucci, the Assembly of First Nations, and lawyers for former students and three of the churches running the schools....

Some 21 class-action suits launched against the government on behalf of 15,000 former residential school students will be wiped out by any new agreement.

The students, many of them taken from their families by force, have testified they suffered physical and sexual abuse and cultural deprivation at residential schools, and lost their language and traditional skills.

The final agreement was the 26th draft based on the 12-page interim agreement reached last November, and grew to a 79-page legal document that was sent out last week for signatures from all the groups involved.

Those who suffered extreme phisical abuse or any sexual abuse can still sue for their treatment by the government and churches.

themasta @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:39 am

They should have just piled that money up and set in on fire for all the good it's going to do. How does Canada solve Indian issues? We throw money at them. So far it has worked wonders. :roll:

ridenrain @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:57 am

Definately nothing for the auditor general to look at there.

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:14 am

themasta themasta:
They should have just piled that money up and set in on fire for all the good it's going to do. How does Canada solve Indian issues? We throw money at them. So far it has worked wonders. :roll:

Actually, it saves all of Canada billions of dollars in lawsuits and legal costs.

Its not entirely an Indian issue, it has to do with violating people's rights.

Kidnapping, torture and abuse are illegal. No amount of money can replace the dignity, culture and innocence these people lost because of Canada's fucked up system of genocide.

Furthermore, many non-aboriginal people have sued for the same abuses suffered in schools and by people of the church.

themasta @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:18 am

I guess the problem is that I don't see it being relevant. Should I sue for one of your ancestors killing mine? Torturing him first? What happens in the past should stay there. Granted we can learn from it, but any type of monetary compensation is just a cash grab. If no amount of money can make the past right, why spend any?

ridenrain @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:32 am

The school system was a huge goat rodeo and the wrongs need to be righted, if possible. Certainly the feds, provincial and municipal folks have to be accountable but is there no way to bring the church to this table?

Please keep us up to date on the money actually going to the people and not the chiefs.

ziggy @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:40 am

ridenrain ridenrain:
The school system was a huge goat rodeo and the wrongs need to be righted, if possible. Certainly the feds, provincial and municipal folks have to be accountable but is there no way to bring the church to this table?

Please keep us up to date on the money actually going to the people and not the chiefs.

About $24,000 each.

PJB @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:49 am

$24000.00 each. hmmm really doesn't seem to be all that much for the abuses that some of these kids went through. Just as long as this is a one time payment and will not keep coming back to haunt us. Then again I wonder if non-natives that attended these schools would be entitiled too?

ziggy @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:52 am

PJB PJB:
$24000.00 each. hmmm really doesn't seem to be all that much for the abuses that some of these kids went through. Just as long as this is a one time payment and will not keep coming back to haunt us. Then again I wonder if non-natives that attended these schools would be entitiled too?

There was a native who used to follow me home in 4th grade and beat me up all the time,wonder if I can sue his nation.

PJB @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:57 am

ziggy...you were abused because of your race...the way things go around here you probably have a case. lol

ridenrain @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:00 am

With a good lawyer, anything is possible:

[web]http://www.dustmybroom.com/?p=3553[/web]

ziggy @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:04 am

This part is interesting.

$1:
The Liberal government finally backed down and in May of last year offered up a confetti throwing million dollar package deal which in the end was just another promise as the money was diverted to the NDP budget in a deal to get their support to get past last springs confidence vote:

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:19 am

ziggy ziggy:
PJB PJB:

There was a native who used to follow me home in 4th grade and beat me up all the time,wonder if I can sue his nation.

If his Chief ordered him to beat you up then you may have a case. I know a good lawyer (oxymoron, I know), let me know if you want his number...

:lol:

themasta @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:31 am

Donny_Brasco Donny_Brasco:
ziggy ziggy:
PJB PJB:

If his Chief ordered him to beat you up then you may have a case. I know a good lawyer (oxymoron, I know), let me know if you want his number...

So, are you saying that the government ordered the residential schools to beat and abuse these kids, physically and sexually? I didn't realize that was official policy. I thought "raping their culture" was supposed to be figurative. Anyway, what does it matter? From what I remember there have been far worse crimes in human history then what we did to the Indians. The only way the Indians should get there own country is if we systematically exterminate a few million of them, that way they'd at least earn something for once in their lives. Haha, Godwin's Law at work again I believe. Truthfully though, residential schools were not the terrible things that the native community would have us believe. Sure shit happened, but that's a case of ten percent causing ninety percent of the problems. I don't really believe that all Indians are lazy, welfare recieving, lysol drinking bums who won't amount to anything and constantly cause shit just because they can. That stereotype is perpetuated by the ten percent. The same should be said with residential schools. I'm sure that the majority of Indians enjoyed and were thankful for the opportunity that they recieved. Just like I'm sure that most Indians are like me, law-abiding and gainfully employed with only a few minor vices. This is why I'm against any payments to these victiims, money isn't going to heal their scars, it's just to keep them quiet.

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:40 am

themasta themasta:
Donny_Brasco Donny_Brasco:
ziggy ziggy:
PJB PJB:

So, are you saying that the government ordered the residential schools to beat and abuse these kids, physically and sexually?

They were wards of the state. Thus the government had the responsibility to ensure that the abuse did not happen.

Furthermore, the cultural genocide was mandated.

Like it or not, this deal saves you and I billions of dollars in legal costs and further judgements against Canada.

And trust me, if a bunch of Ottawa big-wig lawyers told both the Libs and the Cons this is the best deal Canada will ever get for this.

And, those who were extremely phisically abused or sexually abused still can sue the governemnt.

1  2  3  4  5 ... 9  Next