Canada Kicks Ass
Are Canadians inherently racist?

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Jaime_Souviens @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:43 pm

Wada Wada:
Racism is intolerance as exhibited by the ignorant. Ignorance begets ignorance so in one respect "racism" is learned. I consider it akin to "egoism" excepting it is much less prevalent. They are both a sign of weakness.

I understand what you're saying, but it isn't precise enough.

I'm intolerant of people who sit next to you in a public place, eating sunflower seeds, methodically spitting out the shells into a cup one by one.

That doesn't make me a racist.

And you don't have to be ignorant to be intolerant. A lot of very well-educated people have been out and out racists.

So being other-than-ignorant won't preclude being a racist.

Tman1 @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:03 pm

Jaime_Souviens Jaime_Souviens:
I don't think you can effectively do that without some basic historical sense,--that is, you have to identify with a group, and hold some sense of grievance against another group. You can't just randomly hate another race, you have to learn which race to hate. Doubt me? If you were living in Manitoba in the 1920's, and then just randomly developed a hatred for Tibetans, that wouldn't make any sense because there weren't any Tibetans in Manitoba in the 1920's. ---you can't just hate anybody, you have to hate the group that historically your group hated.

In some cases this is true but also how a particular persons surroundings influence his/her judgments towards a certain race. Some people grow up feeling hatred towards a certain race because their fathers or family members seem to hold a prejudice towards them, not because they have a certain historical grievance towards them. That is why some racists are ignorant towards certain groups is because they don't know anything about them and rather choose to follow the current norm of society.

You are right in the case of historical grievances in the case of Arab/Western racial profiling in which people "learn" to hate each group because of the media and how that group is portrayed by propaganda. People "learn" to hate Arabs because of 9/11, it's these events that influence certain attitudes towards a particular group.

$1:
If you were living in Manitoba in the 1920's, and then just randomly developed a hatred for Tibetans, that wouldn't make any sense [i]because there weren't any Tibetans in Manitoba in the 1920's.

True, you can't hate what you don't know.
$1:
you can't just hate anybody, you have to hate the group that historically your group hated.

People have their own twisted reasons why they hate a particular group, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to hate them historically.

Arctic_Menace @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:05 pm

I'm a mix of nearly all possible races and cultures, so to diss anyone of them, would be to insult myself.

And yet I love South Park................

Arctic_Menace @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:11 pm

Stop playing games with my head, lily..........The voices don't like it when you do that....... :wink:

Jaime_Souviens @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:15 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
Jaime_Souviens Jaime_Souviens:
I don't think you can effectively do that without some basic historical sense,--that is, you have to identify with a group, and hold some sense of grievance against another group. You can't just randomly hate another race, you have to learn which race to hate. Doubt me? If you were living in Manitoba in the 1920's, and then just randomly developed a hatred for Tibetans, that wouldn't make any sense because there weren't any Tibetans in Manitoba in the 1920's. ---you can't just hate anybody, you have to hate the group that historically your group hated.

In some cases this is true but also how a particular persons surroundings influence his/her judgments towards a certain race. Some people grow up feeling hatred towards a certain race because their fathers or family members seem to hold a prejudice towards them, not because they have a certain historical grievance towards them. That is why some racists are ignorant towards certain groups is because they don't know anything about them and rather choose to follow the current norm of society.

You are right in the case of historical grievances in the case of Arab/Western racial profiling in which people "learn" to hate each group because of the media and how that group is portrayed by propaganda. People "learn" to hate Arabs because of 9/11, it's these events that influence certain attitudes towards a particular group.

$1:
If you were living in Manitoba in the 1920's, and then just randomly developed a hatred for Tibetans, that wouldn't make any sense [i]because there weren't any Tibetans in Manitoba in the 1920's.

True, you can't hate what you don't know.
$1:
you can't just hate anybody, you have to hate the group that historically your group hated.

People have their own twisted reasons why they hate a particular group, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to hate them historically.

I don't disagree necessarily with anything you wrote. ---I did mean historically in the sense that there is always some past to it. That would include picking it up from elders or from personal experience.

But as far as having that kind of communal past to it, if you think about it, most racist hatreds have existed between neighboring groups, (although color generally did go beyond neighboring groups), because it's always the people nearby you can't stand. Strangers from far away are fine.

Tman1 @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:23 pm

You make good points. I'm curious though, what about the case of ancient Greeks holding racial tendencies to people "not" Greek? Calling them barbarians. In this case, wouldn't racism simply mean being different?

Arctic_Menace @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:27 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
You make good points. I'm curious though, what about the case of ancient Greeks holding racial tendencies to people "not" Greek? Calling them barbarians. In this case, wouldn't racism simply mean being different?

Yeah. My ancestors lived in an Empire that had it's own religion, was fairly tolerant of other cultures, had it's own culture, had little crime and little disease and a whole lot of gold.

Then the Spanish come along and tell us we're uncivilized, barbaric savages......

canadian1971 @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:37 pm

I'M NOT RACIST, I HATE EVERYBODY! :wink:

Edit...except for Arty's Mom.

Tman1 @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:39 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about her...... [drool]

Arctic_Menace @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:40 pm

canadian1971 canadian1971:
I'M NOT RACIST, I HATE EVERYBODY! :wink:

Edit...except for Arty's Mom.

How did I just KNOW that you were gonna do that? BTW, did you even see the pic of her?

BTW, I am not lactose intolerant. I just refuse to put up with lactose's shit...

canadian1971 @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:50 pm

When the opportunity arises I just can't help myself....it's a compusion really......btw...she says Hi. :P

Arctic_Menace @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:54 pm

you don't have my number........What's my area code?

Virgil @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:01 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
Tman1 Tman1:

Yeah. My ancestors lived in an Empire that had it's own religion, was fairly tolerant of other cultures, had it's own culture, had little crime and little disease and a whole lot of gold.

Then the Spanish come along and tell us we're uncivilized, barbaric savages......

I think that the term "racsisme" (sorry I can't spell) would refer to (if we were to logically diffuse the word) any kind of racial quality or perhaps identifying someone based on it. Judging someone based on race would also be included.

I don't think that racsisme specifically is natural, but that the fear or dislike of that wich is different is. When I was young, I didn't watch cartoons because they didn't look enough like real people. I was repulsed by everything that didn't look real for a good portion of my youth.

I also don't think that people who cease to be racsist have suppressed, I would say more that they "try to take a walk in [another's] moccassins" and learn that they too are people.

However, certain racial qualities cannot be denied. Being aboriginal I have noticed that myself and almost all other aboriginals (of North America that is) love everything physical. We get caught up in the whole yahoo of it. Now this doesn't say that ALL Natives are physical people, it says that it is more common in Natives than it is in say, French Canadians.

As far as Canadians being racsists, I must admit, for a great deal of my life I was afraid of White people because I thought that they were all racsist (ironic huh?lol), when I started to talk to more of them I discovered that a. few were racsist and b. even fewer couldn't be easily swayed from racsist opinions.

A great deal of racsisme is probably also the result of economy ie. the slave trade.

Once again back to Canadians. So this is my opinion of what being Canadian is, for for me, as a minority, to love the country in wich I live this is how it hast to be. To be Canadian has little to do with the material aspects of race or religion, language or color, to be Canadian is to have the ability to integrate cultural and religious differences in order to work towards the common goal of peace, and prosperity.

Arctic_Menace @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:07 pm

I see myself as a citizen of a nation that is made up of many different cultures.

Being a minority myself, Here's how I see myself and where my pride stands.....

I am damn proud of my heritage, all of it. But I am even more proud to be Canadian. That's what I think more Canadians should think. Be proud of their heritage, but that we all united under one flag, and are immensely proud to be Canadian......

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:16 pm

I think racist and racism are terms that are bandied about too frequently and are used far too casually. If there are no human races, just one human race, then racism can't really exist now can it? Humans of all ethnic groups tend to be 'prejudiced' or 'bigotted' in their view of others. We have 'discriminated' against non memebers of our group for millions of years, and can see the same behavior in other mammals, especially within the higher primates, most notably chimpanzees..

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next