Canada Kicks Ass
Blatchford responds to protest

andyt @ Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:44 am

$1:
Three protesters shut me down once; they won’t do it again

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/christie-blatchford/three-protesters-shut-me-down-once-they-wont-do-it-again/article1806961/

$1:
In fact, however, as I’ve only recently learned – publishers and their people tend to keep discouraging news from their authors, lest we crawl into the fetal position and stop typing – from the get-go, from the moment they began talking up Helpless: Caledonia’s Nightmare of Fear and Anarchy and How the Law Failed All of Us, they encountered what they call “pushback.”

Some bookstores were reluctant to host signings or events for fear of a native backlash; some news shows were less than keen to touch the subject for the same reason.

Their timidity seems to be all of a piece with what the U of W protesters said motivated them. As Dan Kellar, one of the three locked together on the stage, told Mr. Brean, I am a “settler” on native land who hasn’t come to term with settlers’ responsibilities and am therefore important to silence.

I take from that horse manure what I take from the booksellers’ reluctance: That if one doesn’t bow at the altar of aboriginal self-determination, however criminally it may be expressed, one should not be allowed to speak.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:12 am

The irony is, if there's a chance this self-proclaimed "settler" lives anywhere within 6 miles of either side of the Grand River,(and I assume they do since they're attending the UofW and have an opinion) most of those lands were sold a LONG time ago.
The Mohawk have about as much claim to those lands as I do to the last house I sold.

That person's commnet is proof that a university education and intelligence have nothing to do with each other.

andyt @ Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:17 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
The irony is, if there's a chance this self-proclaimed "settler" lives anywhere within 6 miles of either side of the Grand River,(and I assume they do since they're attending the UofW and have an opinion) most of those lands were sold a LONG time ago.
The Mohawk have about as much claim to those lands as I do to the last house I sold.

That person's commnet is proof that a university education and intelligence have nothing to do with each other.

He's not calling himself a settler, he's calling Blatchford one. I'm pretty sure that if you identify with the native cause it makes you an honorary aborigial. Or more like a "hangaround" in the Hells Angels - subject to abuse a being a gofer. Whatever, it expiates your sin of being white. Or mitigates it a bit, anyway.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:25 am

Ooops. yep sorry, I read that the wrong way

Now, talk about transference. So we all should feel guilty cuz Joseph Brant sold off the bulk of Mohawk lands?? :lol:
In this case, to identify with the native cause, is to identify with seller's remorse. Only in this case, the sale is a few generations removed.

And ALL of this from a group that aren't even native to the region :lol:

Ya just gotta love this country sometimes :roll: