Canada Kicks Ass
First Nations teen told not to smudge before school

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:05 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/first ... -1.2524641

$1:
Stephen Bunn likes to smudge to start his day.

"I smudge just to make myself feel good and to hope me and my family have a good day... I use it to send prayers out and to stay positive."

The 17-year-old Manitoba teen lost a younger brother to suicide last year and he says smudging — the practice of burning traditional medicines — is one way that helps him cope with his grief.

$1:
CBC News contacted the Brandon School Division for an interview and received a statement back saying officials are working with an aboriginal elder "to arrive at a solution that respects aboriginal traditions, while also ensuring a comfortable learning environment for its students."

But the school board also pointed out that it has a scent-free/fragrance-free policy. "Every effort will be made to limit exposure to strong scents and fragrances in the environment that cause discomfort or impact the health of sensitive individuals."

easy solution.....smudge.....shower.....school

Public_Domain @ Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:20 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
easy solution.....smudge.....shower.....school

Compromise is a two way street... I agree.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:27 am

Oh for f*ck sakes. How arbitrary can they get. I've been to smudgings and even been smudged. Considering I'm highly sensitive to various scents ie: perfumes and colognes, this is a friggin' joke.

Might as well tell someone they can't sit in front of their fireplace on a winter morning before going to school.

stratos @ Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 am

"Every effort will be made to limit exposure to strong scents and fragrances in the environment that cause discomfort or impact the health of sensitive individuals."

I wish we would have had that rule when I was in school. Some of my teachers would have had to go home and or call in anytime they wanted to spray their nasty perfume.

Is smugeing a common practice for First Nation people. I've never heard of this but my contact with American Indians has been extreemly limeted sense the early 90's