Fort McKay land claim settlement - July 4, 2006

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:34 am

$1:
Fort McKay looks to develop oilsands after land claim settlement

By RENATO GANDIA
Today staff
Tuesday July 04, 2006

Fort McMurray Today — FORT MCKAY -- The federal government, the Province of Alberta and Fort McKay First Nation signed a ceremonial document on Friday acknowledging the Treaty Land Entitlement Settlement Agreement.
The agreement, which was finalized in 2004, provides compensation and additional reserve land to Fort McKay.
It affirms Fort McKay First Nation’s right to 23,000 acres (9,308 hectares) of additional reserve land expected to provide the native band with economic self-sufficiency and self-governance.
“We are extremely pleased with today’s signing ceremony. This agreement is an important public affirmation of Fort McKay’s persistence and commitment to receive its treaty rights,” Chief Jim Boucher told a crowd of more than 200 people.
Boucher said the signing recognizes Canada’s fulfillment of its historic obligations under Treaty 8 for reserve lands and agricultural benefits.
Negotiations for the land claim took 20 years.
“We certainly anticipate that development will occur with regards to some lands selected primarily for oilsands development,” Boucher told Today in an interview after signing the agreement.
The band will now be able to play a significant role in oilsands exploration and regional economic development, while ensuring there are adequate reserve lands for Fort McKay’s traditional way of life, the chief said.
“This signing is an important step for Fort McKay, which will help the community to be able to seize the opportunities presented by resource development in the area,” said Minister of Indian Affairs Jim Prentice. “Through the negotiating and signing of final agreements like this one, Fort McKay will gain access to additional resources, giving them more opportunities to explore economic development and improve the quality of life for their members.”
Approximately 8,200 acres (3,318 hectares) of the land holds significant oilsands deposits, which the band hopes will be a source of revenue. About 10,000 acres (4,047 hectares) acres was set aside to preserve traditional practices.
Fort McKay will also receive $41.5 million in compensation for loss of land use and cash in lieu of their outstanding treaty entitlement and agriculture benefits. This revenue has been placed in a Fort McKay settlement trust to preserve the funds for future generations and to provide annual investment and revenue income for all members of Fort McKay First Nations.
Theresa Grandjambe, president of Fort McKay elders, has mixed feelings about the process of land claim and the continuous oilsands development
She said while she is pleased that it’s finalized, it took too much time.
“We’ve been waiting for so long. We’re surrounded by oil companies and they damage our land. A lot of people who fought for this land are no longer here,” she said.
But for her and the other elders, the next important move is to get compensation from oil companies for the damage they’ve done over the years.
“Their operations are affecting our health,” Grandjambe said.
Prentice told the crowd that he will expedite the process of land claims.
Phil Fontaine, Grand Chief of the Assembly of First Nations, welcomed the statement.
“We need a legislation that puts in place an independent claims body, a more effective and much fairer process than what we have now,” he said in an interview at the signing.
He said an average claim takes 27 years before it’s finalized.
Of the 1,000 specific claims currently before the federal government, about 300 have been validated.
-- [email protected]

WAIT!!! DON"T DO IT!

HYPERIONtheIDIOT says that land claims are not valid and that Indians have no right to the land! Please Mr. Conservative MP Jim Prentice, please do not sell out your KKK buddies for a few acres of land!

ROTFL

Again - BRASCO is RIGHT! Land Claim victory for Indians and Canadians together!

ziggy @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:37 am

$1:
the next important move is to get compensation from oil companies for the damage they’ve done over the years.

It will never stop. :roll:

canadian1971 @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:41 am

Heres a couple questions....totally unrelated to the topic at hand mind you.......why does one of you, who happens to be native, fly an Irish flag next to your name, and the other who is freaking snowflake fly a Jam. flag?

Just curious.

HyperionTheEvil @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:42 am

ziggy ziggy:
$1:
the next important move is to get compensation from oil companies for the damage they’ve done over the years.

It will never stop. :roll:

Which is the problem.

The best hope for natives and Taxpayers is that the Conservative goverment when it has majority simply end the he handouts. The bueaty of our country is that lower courts can hand out whtever judgments they want, its the government which holds the ace card with the Non-withstanding clause

ziggy @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:43 am

canadian1971 canadian1971:
Heres a couple questions....totally unrelated to the topic at hand mind you.......why does one of you, who happens to be native, fly an Irish flag next to your name, and the other who is freaking snowflake fly a Jam. flag?

Just curious.

Rather be in Jamaica mon. 8)

BartSimpson @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:45 am

I used to fly a Danish flag.

ziggy @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:49 am

Wonder why donnys lil buddy hasnt shown up to gloat yet.(thefactremains)

When they get together it reminds me of these two. Image

HyperionTheEvil @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:49 am

Just curious.

how do you get the flag up there anyways?

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:06 am

Just curious.

Actually it was the Ivory Coast.

We had all changed our flags to Irish in support of Tricks because Nazi's were attacking him...I think.

Anyways, I changed mine to the Ivory Coast because it was the exact same except opposite.

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:07 am

ziggy ziggy:
Wonder why donnys lil buddy hasnt shown up to gloat yet.(thefactremains)

When they get together it reminds me of these two. Image

Cool, which one am I?

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:09 am

HyperionTheEvil HyperionTheEvil:

Just curious.

Go to edit profile and scroll half way down, under location and look at the country flags. Choose yours and do not forget to click "submit" at the bottom of the page.

Sorry, they have no KKK flag.

HyperionTheEvil @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:44 am

Donny_Brasco Donny_Brasco:

Just curious.

Go to edit profile and scroll half way down, under location and look at the country flags. Choose yours and do not forget to click "submit" at the bottom of the page.

You know what , there was just no need for that last part. I ask a simple question and you use to imply that im a white supremacist. I spoken about this inother posts on this board, i fully support gay rights and gay adoption, i support a woman's right to choose an abortion or not. I believe in equality - period

Now you and i obviously disagree about key issues about natives, thats clear. But already today you called me a liar and with this last post implied that im a supremacist. Now i can handle your jabs, but you are letting your own prejudices show, if you have to take your fingers off the keyboard for moment then i suggest doing so

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:51 am

Just curious.

You know what , there was just no need for that last part. I ask a simple question and you use to imply that im a white supremacist. I spoken about this inother posts on this board, i fully support gay rights and gay adoption, i support a woman's right to choose an abortion or not. I believe in equality - period

Now you and i obviously disagree about key issues about natives, thats clear. But already today you called me a liar and with this last post implied that im a supremacist. Now i can handle your jabs, but you are letting your own prejudices show, if you have to take your fingers off the keyboard for moment then i suggest doing so

We want equality too. We signed nation-to-nation treaties as equals. This meant that we could continue our lives as Indians and share the land and work as equals with you.

It did not mean that you could steal our land, prevent us from raising our children, and prevent us from farming, working, obtaining credit and starting businesses as equals.

All of a sudden after 200 years of all this you want to be equal yet you deny that past injustices that your people committed that made us unequal.

Let me remind you that there were no drunks, no welfare bums and no land claims before we signed treaty with you guys.

Equality means we get our day in court to make up for these injustices. Once we've exhausted that then I will no longer bother you about these issues.

If you oppose justice for our people then you are supporting inequality. Supporting inequality is the trademark of a group who feels they are superior to another.

BartSimpson @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:25 pm

This is the problem with the First Nations in Canada and Natives in the USA:

You're all for sovereignty when it suits you but then you'll speak with a forked toungue and say you want "equality" with Canadians/Americans when it also suits you.

Fuck you.

Be a Canadian, be an American, or be 100% Native and declare your independence.

But stop playing it both ways and expecting the respect of people you have no qualms about pissing on or hating.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:44 pm

All of a sudden after 200 years of all this you want to be equal yet you deny that past injustices that your people committed that made us unequal.

And yet, I don't look a day over 199.

As Bart says, Fuck you. You're showing the exact same intolerance towards us as you claim we show you. Grow the fuck up.

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next