Canada Kicks Ass
Native Corruption on Piikani reserve

1  2  3  4  Next

HyperionTheEvil @ Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:30 pm

A native activist in Alberta says the federal government's decision to take over his reserve's finances does not go far enough to address issues of corruption.

Late Tuesday, the government said it was taking over the finances of the Piikani First Nation in southern Alberta, saying council members had been unable to make decisions on how to spend money.

However, Milton Born With A Tooth, a Piikani First Nation member, says more action must still be taken and that could include holding a public inquiry.

Born with a Tooth told CBC News he has been complaining to the RCMP and the federal ministry of Indian and Northern Affairs since December, alleging he has proof money has been mismanaged.

"We have $54 million and my reserve is in total disarray. We're in a poverty situation. We haven't built a new house in 15 or 16 years in my community."

Council unable to a make decisions

Greg Luff, a spokesperson for Indian and Northern Affairs, told CBC the issue on the reserve is not corruption.

The problem is the council is so divided it cannot agree on anything, including how and when to spend money, he said.

Two reputable accounting firms were co-managing the reserves funds, he said.

"There has been a co-management firm at the First Nation for the last year and a half. We would have certainly received some evidence of so called corruption, if that were the case, with that co-manager in there."

An election is set on the reserve for December. Luff said he hopes the government can hand back control at that time.

Betty Bastien, an aboriginal affairs expert from the University of Calgary who is from the reserve, said taking over the finances is not a solution.

The government is continuing to treat aboriginal people like children, and that creates all kinds of problems, she said.

"Canadians just don't understand how oppressive the department of Indian Affairs has been historically," she said.

The Piikani Nation is located along Highway 3, halfway between the towns of Fort Macleod and Pincher Creek.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/ ... ances.html

I especially like the part where the government is at fault because the the council is so divided that they cant find their ass wth both hands. Yup blame the Taxpayer

thefactremains @ Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:50 pm

Quit your CRYING,Did we create the reservations??????.in some places.It can be toatally dangerous,They actually Shooy each other

thefactremains @ Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:54 pm

DID WE CREATE THE RESERVES???Dont point theres 3 fingers pointing back to you ,everytime...uR THE iDIOT

Persiana @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:03 pm

I honestly can't figure out Hyperion, whether you are crying foul that this is even happening amongst the first nations, or simply trying to slander all first nations people by repeatedly starting these threads.

Either way, the fact that there's 3 threads started by you which cast a negative light upon First Nations groups, (I might add that the negative light is far moreso in your own thread titles, than the articles themselves) doesn't look good.

Could you perhaps clarify your intent?

saga @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:17 pm

Persiana Persiana:
I honestly can't figure out Hyperion, whether you are crying foul that this is even happening amongst the first nations, or simply trying to slander all first nations people by repeatedly starting these threads.

Either way, the fact that there's 3 threads started by you which cast a negative light upon First Nations groups, (I might add that the negative light is far moreso in your own thread titles, than the articles themselves) doesn't look good.

Could you perhaps clarify your intent?

He's a racist creep who trolls native issues forums.
There are way too many of them here!
Moderators are not doing their job!

Regina @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:19 pm

I can't figure out if he's complaining either. Care to expand on your post Hyper?
Granny on the other hand has him road out of town and lynched. Which if she sends me another PM like the ones she sent this morning, will get a much deserved vacation............a vacation for us.

ridenrain @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:40 pm

I'd just say these folks are obviously a long way away from self government.. Unless their Using the Chretien Liberals as a model, then their bang on.

Persiana @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:48 pm

So what do you suppose they did prior to the explorers, starve & die out? I don't think so. They self-governed just fine before settlers came.

ridenrain @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:58 pm

You can tell how well they lived by the fine and lasting structures they made. lol.

Would you tolerate this sort of thing on a federal or municipal level?
Seriously, the main task of any government is to look after it's people and that's definately not being shown by this bands leadership.
The band leadership is showing criminal mis-management and the federal government is right to step in and fix the problem.

saga @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:06 am

Regina Regina:
I can't figure out if he's complaining either. Care to expand on your post Hyper?
Granny on the other hand has him road out of town and lynched. Which if she sends me another PM like the ones she sent this morning, will get a much deserved vacation............a vacation for us.

Thanks for showing up, Mod! Na ... not lynched ... I'm a peaceful person ...
just intolerant of arrogant dismissive a$$holes.

There are too many trolls in your native issues forums
... can't see the issues for the whining white males.

Cripes, guys ... the white males used to get the whole friggin pie
... now they're only entitled to their proportionate 30%.

YUP!

GETthefuckoveritalready!!

Think it's a conspiracy?
RIGHT AGAIN!!

saga @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:15 am

ridenrain ridenrain:
You can tell how well they lived by the fine and lasting structures they made. lol.

Would you tolerate this sort of thing on a federal or municipal level?
Seriously, the main task of any government is to look after it's people and that's definately not being shown by this bands leadership.
The band leadership is showing criminal mis-management and the federal government is right to step in and fix the problem.

The government will likely step in and steal their money!

ridenrain @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:20 am

... It's the governments/taxayers money anyways.

saga @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:42 am

ridenrain ridenrain:
... It's the governments/taxayers money anyways.

That is not likely. There is no surplus in that! Band Councils are funded at less than half the rate of our municipalities.

$54m ... must have been a settlement of historical land issues.
Better they have it and don't know how to spend it, than spend it unwisely.

themasta @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:49 am

When's the last time an Indian paid taxes? I don't mind them pissing away their money, but when they do it with ours, it makes me more than slightly annoyed. If they want to stop getting treated like children, maybe they should grow the fuck up.

saga @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:17 pm

themasta themasta:
When's the last time an Indian paid taxes? I don't mind them pissing away their money, but when they do it with ours, it makes me more than slightly annoyed. If they want to stop getting treated like children, maybe they should grow the fuck up.

It's not our money ... It is their money. They are not pissing it away ... they are not SPENDING it is the issue. Read the thread intro.
They pay income taxes same as we do. Ontario makes them PST free, like Americans. We treat them as 'sovereign' in that way.

Know what you are talking about before you spout racist ignorance ya creep!!

Respect ... It's not our land ... it's THEIR land.

1  2  3  4  Next