Canada Kicks Ass
Native, First Nations, Aboriginal, Indian?

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

DangerMouse @ Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:54 am

[font=Comic Sans MS] It's a matter of choice I believe but I personally prefer FNs. Someone mentioned that it is in the 1982 Constitution Act as aboriginal, but the first time it was indian was with the Indian Act of the 1800's. I maybe wrong but if they were to try and amend it, it would "get messy" because other amendments would also be put on the table and it would just flop as it did when Buloney tried it.

I think there are small minds out there who just say INDIAN cause they know that some FNS people don't like it as it carries a lot of baggage...these SMALL MINDS seem to be of the PC variety....I call these small minds--"lil boys struggling to be men",,,,,then I wonder why some of em get mad when you call them squatters?
[/font]

DangerMouse @ Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:03 am

[font=Comic Sans MS] I forgot to add a joke: What did the chief say when he saw Columbus taking a "leak" over his ship? scroll down for answer

Heyy!! yer-a-peein!!! :lol: 8)
[/font]

TerriBC @ Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:00 pm

[font=Segoe Print]I say "First Nations" personally.[/font]

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:13 pm

early asian immigrants

Knoss @ Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:19 pm

$1:
It's a matter of choice I believe but I personally prefer FNs. Someone mentioned that it is in the 1982 Constitution Act as aboriginal, but the first time it was indian was with the Indian Act of the 1800's. I maybe wrong but if they were to try and amend it, it would "get messy" because other amendments would also be put on the table and it would just flop as it did when Buloney tried it.

Aboriginal people, Métis, and Inuit are collectively referred to as First Nations.

$1:
I think there are small minds out there who just say INDIAN cause they know that some FNS people don't like it as it carries a lot of baggage...these SMALL MINDS seem to be of the PC variety....I call these small minds--"lil boys struggling to be men",,,,,then I wonder why some of em get mad when you call them squatters?

Though often discouraged, referring to aboriginal people as Indians, is common to older laws (treaties for instance), some institutions (Saskatchewan Indian Gaming Authority), and can be used in speech without being derogatory.

TattoodGirl @ Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:49 pm

I call myself Canadian first.....Anishnabe second, cuz that is just a bloodline and my heritage....I dont like the term Aboriginal because im very original...LOL :lol:

Knoss @ Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:14 am

$1:
I call myself Canadian first.....Anishnabe second, cuz that is just a bloodline and my heritage....I dont like the term Aboriginal because im very original...LOL

I never thought it was polite to ask.

Chauchee @ Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:36 am

Chauchee is an INDIAN within the means of the INDIAN Act according to Canada.

They reminded us on our status card that we were INDIAN, NOT Canadian. They reminded us on our card at the time because we weren't allowed to work, travel, shit, or fuck. But we did anyways. Regardless of the fact that we weren't ALLOWED to be "Canadian" until the late 60s. And even though we were "allowed" in the late 60s, the a ding dang doos of the 60s WOULDN'T have it! They loved being the ONLY Canadians.

So this is when other minorities jumped onto the Canadian infrastructure. Including Punjabi. Punjabi are Punjabi, NOT indian. They didn't pay the price to be INDIAN in this land. Regardless of the fact that YOUR ancestors thought this land india? All the paperwork against us and eventually for us has us as INDIAN. Legally? I am an INDIAN. Legally? Punjabi are CANADIAN. They lost their right to be INDIAN when they left INDIA.

A root word for aboriginal is primative. I can build sites and compose with English words better than MOST Canadians.

Indigenous means less priviledged. Here in 2007 Canadians are less priviledged....unless you are part of the ORIGINAL Canadian group. If you are? You have a guaranteed job for life at either a sawmill, city hall, or logging outfit.

First Nation? The Canadians are the first nation. First to eat, first to move, first to work, first to everything that was suppose to be shared with the world. By the time Canadians woke up to the world and started sharing? It was a movement of denial. Leaving us LAST. So we are The LAST Nation if we want to go that route.

Native? With hockey anchormen stating all these pink people are natives of this crownland community or that area? That kinda defiles the native term. Back in the 80s when Richard Brodeur was saving for the canucks, they didn't say Brodeur was a NATIVE of Quebec. And when they called him King Richard, they didn't pay him tax! And when the canucks lost to the islanders that year? They didn't realize that Billy Smith and Chico Resch was the 1st & 2nd goalies for the islanders. So the islanders knew all of Brodeurs weakness'. But CBC didn't use the term NATIVE for hockey players until recently. Denial took that long to take its toll! So much for NATIVE.

Indian! When I go to a pub? Someone says "INDIAN!". And everyone in the pub doesn't look for the guy in the turban or the guy who is wide eyed and exposing his hairy chest. They SEE me!

And if ANY of my people don't like being INDIAN? They simply need to pull out their status card for Canada's reminder!

Saskanna @ Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:02 am

Scrappy Scrappy:
Well as a half breed (Mi'kmag) I like Native Canadian.

Bless you. I'm tired of saying, "hey you over there". IN case I call someone by the wrong word!

BarronFerg @ Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:11 am

westmanguy westmanguy:

I say Indian, because that was the original name.

I agree with you on this but I have to say that Indian was not the original name. My grandfather and a few of his friends and a bunch of other old boys used to say the original name. I would share this with you but in this day and age I fear you would legally have to ban me.

Hyack @ Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:16 am

Nice necro...... :lol:

OldChum @ Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:57 am

Chauchee nice statement makes sense to me times are a changing stand proud .

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:00 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
early asian immigrants

If people someday travel to the moon or some other uninhabited planet to live will they be immigrants?

Just wondering, because "immigrant" typically refers to a person moving to an already inhabited area.

Maybe "migrant" is a more suitable term IDK.

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:04 am

Oh, and the answer is all of the above. If someone gets pissed off because you called them an Indian or an Aboriginal or whatever, and if you didn't use the adverb "fucking" or "drunkin" in front of it tell them to fuck right off.

That is what I say to New Zealanders or Scottish when I mistake their accents for Australians or English by accident and they get offended. Hey, at least I was trying to be nice.

Hey shep, throw another shrimp on the barbie buddy!

EyeBrock @ Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Donny, I agree. There is no need at all to say some of the things that have been said to you because of the the 'native' or aboriginal' label. That stuff is just pure racism.

However, you know I will take you to task when you start to whine about things that really are a reverse opinion of the bigots you decry.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next