Canada Kicks Ass
Teachers warned against taking jobs on Manitoba First Nation

1  2  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:05 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... itoba.html

$1:
The Manitoba Teachers Society has taken the rare step of warning teachers against taking a job at Sandy Bay First Nation.

"These are horrible situations and we do this extremely rarely and extremely reluctantly. But we really have been given no choice in this matter," said MTS president Paul Olson.

Some teachers at Sandy Bay First Nation have had their health benefits suspended and some retirees can't access their pension, he said.

And though the First Nation is making the appropriate payroll deductions, the money is not being forwarded to the insurance companies or pension fund administrators, Olson added.

As a result, MTS has put a warning about Sandy Bay on its website.

"We do not enjoy declaring any entity, any district, any school division in dispute. But we do feel an absolute obligation to warn people," Olson said.

“To devote your career to education and this is how you end up being treated, it is stunning. It is very upsetting."

There are about 57 teachers at Sandy Bay.

stratos @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:10 am

Now that is totaly F'ed up on MTS's part.

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:14 am

Why is it MTS's fault [huh] ....read again. The union is warning teachers not to take a job there

Unsound @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:17 am

Looks like the FN is stealing the teacher's pension and insurance money. Think anyone will be charged with anything?

saturn_656 @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:05 am

Has to be illegal. Somebody is padding an account somewhere with extra dough.

Brenda @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:08 am

Wow.

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:32 am

The chief and director of education are unavailable for comment :?

Brenda @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:33 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
The chief and director of education are unavailable for comment :?

Of course. And the money is gone, never to be seen again.

Regina @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:40 am

The culture of corruption is alive and well there too.

Public_Domain @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 am

Oh money, who wouldn't ruin everything just for some money?

OnTheIce @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 am

Shhhhh....don't talk about it. That would be racist.

Gunnair @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:44 am

Standby for the predictable accusations of racism......

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:47 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Oh money, who wouldn't ruin everything just for some money?

Pretty sad that you assume that every last person on earth is as corruptible as you are.

Public_Domain @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:49 am

All I know is money and heroin do the same thing; stimulate. And people do awful awful things when they want stimulation. Of course, I'm sure there's plenty of heroin addicts who won't shank a mother just for another hit... Not like we respect them more.

I thought it was the capitalist belief that man is terrible? That they are corrupted and filled with hate and greed, unable to cooperate or share (as that's against human nature)? Why would you suggest that I feel all humanity is corruptible when you certainly feel so? And yes... I do believe every human is corruptible; no part of my ideology suggests some human divinity. Rich man, poor man, White man, Native man, all very capable of hurting others.

I'm not saying all humanity is corrupted, just that they're certainly is room for it. But I also believe there's a great deal of room for some fricken compassion too.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:10 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
All I know is money and heroin do the same thing; stimulate. And people do awful awful things when they want stimulation. Of course, I'm sure there's plenty of heroin addicts who won't shank a mother just for another hit... Not like we respect them more.

I thought it was the capitalist belief that man is terrible? That they are corrupted and filled with hate and greed, unable to cooperate or share (as that's against human nature)? Why would you suggest that I feel all humanity is corruptible when you certainly feel so? And yes... I do believe every human is corruptible; no part of my ideology suggests some human divinity. Rich man, poor man, White man, Native man, all very capable of hurting others.

I'm not saying all humanity is corrupted, just that they're certainly is room for it. But I also believe there's a great deal of room for some fricken compassion too.

Not everyone is motivated by money. Myself, I'm more motivated by time and I choose to balance my professional life with my work life in such as way as to optimise the time I have to myself. Can't even begin to tell you how many monetary opportunities I've passed up because I preferred to be at home with Mrs. Bart as opposed to earning $125 an hour working for Haliburton.

1  2  Next