Canada Kicks Ass
Theresa Spence / Native land issues - merged

1  2  3  4  5 ... 110  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Fri May 11, 2012 5:25 am

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/po ... 31740.html

EZRA ALERT
You may find yourself agreeing with his take.

$1:
OTTAWA - The chief of the Attawapiskat First Nation is threatening to call a state of emergency again at her reserve unless the federal government coughs up $50,000 a month with no strings attached for the band to use for housing.

$1:
This week, a teleconference meeting between band officials and federal bureaucrats was convened to discuss a range of housing issues. During that meeting, Spence was asked if she had prepared a housing plan for her community, something the government has been pushing the community to do for several months.

But when pressed about a housing plan, Spence simply hung up the phone.

The incident has raised new concerns in Ottawa about Spence's leadership.

OnTheIce @ Fri May 11, 2012 5:54 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2012/05/20120510-131740.html

EZRA ALERT
You may find yourself agreeing with his take.
$1:
OTTAWA - The chief of the Attawapiskat First Nation is threatening to call a state of emergency again at her reserve unless the federal government coughs up $50,000 a month with no strings attached for the band to use for housing.

$1:
This week, a teleconference meeting between band officials and federal bureaucrats was convened to discuss a range of housing issues. During that meeting, Spence was asked if she had prepared a housing plan for her community, something the government has been pushing the community to do for several months.

But when pressed about a housing plan, Spence simply hung up the phone.

The incident has raised new concerns in Ottawa about Spence's leadership.

Money solves all problems. :roll:

Brenda @ Fri May 11, 2012 6:15 am

I want $50k/mo too for housing!

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Fri May 11, 2012 6:45 am

$1:

Yeah, more like to use for her own personal slush fund.

martin14 @ Fri May 11, 2012 6:53 am

Brenda Brenda:
I want $50k/mo too for housing!

What ?

Oh, an immigrant... well, you should get even more, because we are racist
against our own Natives.

I dunno, give me 90million, I would build the best community in the country. :|

ShepherdsDog @ Fri May 11, 2012 6:59 am

Eh

Thanos @ Fri May 11, 2012 9:42 am

The modular houses that were delivered at the end of March are probably all partied-out already and heve been turned into impromptu firewood by now. Yup, send 'em another caravan of new ones before da skeeters come out in force. :roll:

OnTheIce @ Fri May 11, 2012 10:24 am

Thanos Thanos:
The modular houses that were delivered at the end of March are probably all partied-out already and heve been turned into impromptu firewood by now. Yup, send 'em another caravan of new ones before da skeeters come out in force. :roll:

They're probably setup roadside selling illegal cigarettes. Drive-thru bitches!

PJB @ Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 pm

This is total bullshit. We all have a major responsibility to maintain the lavish lifestyles of all chiefs, there family, their friend, and whomever else these righteous individuals deem worthy. After-all we all stole their lands and resources and are living the high life while they live in squalor...Ooops did I say that in my serious voice. What I meant to say is let them live just like the rest of us. Get a REAL job, pay taxes and quit your bitching over things that may or may not have happened 200+ years ago.

I am not racist but I hate some native leaders that believe that they are entitled to every damn thing!

FurTrader4 @ Thu May 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanos Thanos:

Oh Boy did you ever nail it Thanos...Poor Canada! :(

CDN_PATRIOT @ Thu May 24, 2012 6:57 pm

$1:

[bash]

The chief of the Attawapiskat First Nation needs to be removed, and set adrift on a slow moving ice floe in the north Altantic. Seriously, she has her head so far up her ass, all she can really hear is the greed voices in her own mind. She and her band shouldn't get another penny from anyone. You got your modular houses. Do the rest yourselves. I'm sick of them sucking money from the rest of us all the time.

-J.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Thu May 24, 2012 7:25 pm

When I hear the name Theresa Spence, I think

jeff744 @ Thu May 24, 2012 7:30 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
$1:

[bash]

The chief of the Attawapiskat First Nation needs to be removed, and set adrift on a slow moving ice floe in the north Altantic. Seriously, she has her head so far up her ass, all she can really hear is the greed voices in her own mind. She and her band shouldn't get another penny from anyone. You got your modular houses. Do the rest yourselves. I'm sick of them sucking money from the rest of us all the time.

-J.

Did you know that they had an elementary school with a major diesel leak under it for years and the government refused to give them a new one or even close it until recently? They closed it when the parents blockaded the building and refused to let their kids go to it because they came home with migraines regularly. They are only getting a new one due to repeated requests and trips to Ottawa to demand one.

Did you know that 90 people were left homeless after a sewer backup? They have people living in the houses despite the fact they were condemned. People live in sheds because the locals have no schools to bring them up to an education level that will allow them to fill reserved positions at the nearby diamond mine. The locals are heavily trappers and are experiencing a population explosion where no matter how many houses are built they cannot keep up with demand. Of the 90 million they were given, 5.8 million was set for housing. That also included maintaining the current houses. The total cost to maintain all houses and utilities in a year amounts to about 17 million, per year.

Did you know they need 84 million to just meet their housing needs and that it is impossible for them to keep up with demand? She has a salary of about $70,000 per year. I actually did the math and it would be cheaper to abandon the nation, move everyone to a nearby one and fly the trappers and mine workers into the area on a regular basis (In 1999 it would have cost $2.85 million to fly the 1900 members out of the community). Hell, people in the community that have jobs at the mine can't even afford the houses ($250K each, or 50-100K to renovate an old one).

This is a case where the band has been basically abandoned to their fate due to poor construction (They are under federal building codes which are extremely poorly enforced so the houses often have shoddy construction, lowering their shelf life). The choice comes down to actually spending a huge amount of money to make it so they can at least cover some expenses and get larger employment so locals can pay part of the bill or simply moving the entire community, fully covered by taxpayers.

Brenda @ Thu May 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Funny, I pay for my own house and maintenance, not to mention renovation... I don't make $70k either.

I have a creek on my property that should not be there (been put there by the village tho), is on no map, and I am not allowed by the village to dump it full of whatever to keep my yard from overflowing every year. I have to pay for my own drainage system to keep my yard dry and my basement from flooding.

Where's my money?

Regina @ Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Funny, I pay for my own house and maintenance, not to mention renovation... I don't make $70k either.

I have a creek on my property that should not be there (been put there by the village tho), is on no map, and I am not allowed by the village to dump it full of whatever to keep my yard from overflowing every year. I have to pay for my own drainage system to keep my yard dry and my basement from flooding.

Where's my money?

Exactly!

1  2  3  4  5 ... 110  Next