Canada Kicks Ass
This is ridiculous!

PJB @ Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Métis group enters controversy over officer's gravesite
Last Updated: Thursday, June 26, 2008 | 4:51 PM CT Comments15Recommend10CBC News
A national Métis organization has taken out an ad in newspapers in Calgary and Regina asking the widow of RCMP Const. Leo Johnston to reconsider her plan to move his remains to the national RCMP cemetery in Regina from his hometown of Lac La Biche, Alta.

Johnston was one of four RCMP officers gunned down by James Roszko during a stakeout on Roszko's property near Mayerthorpe, Alta., in March 2005.

The advertisement contains a open letter to Kelly Johnston, signed by Clement Chartier, president of the Métis National Council.

This advertisement appeared in newspapers in Calgary and Regina on Thursday. (CBC)
"I hope you will reconsider your decision to have your husband disinterred and taken away from his people and his family," the letter says.

"His resting place is a place of honour, an enduring testament to his selfless sacrifice and an eternal memorial to his cherished place in the hearts of his family and the Métis Nation."

Johnston was of Métis descent.

The battle to keep Johnston's remains in Lac La Biche could now head to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Grace Johnston, mother of the slain constable, is planning to ask the court for leave to appeal a decision from the Alberta Court of Appeal. That decision, which was released last month, upheld a lower court ruling that allowed Kelly Johnson to move her husband's remains.

That decision said Johnston's widow has "first priority under common law … with respect to control of the deceased's body. No other person enjoyed an equivalent rank to her."

Kelly Johnston believes that having her husband buried at the RCMP cemetery is the best way to honour him, and is what he would have wanted.

With files from the Canadian Press

These people have absolutely no say in this matter whatsoever! They are merely sticking their noses into something just to raise some shit!

Wada @ Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:38 pm

Not sure of your intention but technically your in the same boat as these people you rail against. :roll:

Streaker @ Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:49 pm

Mother vs. daughter-in-law.... Catfight!!!

----------------------------------

So the Métis National Council buys an ad in some papers. Big deal. :|

DerbyX @ Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:50 pm

Grace Johnston, mother of the slain constable, is planning to ask the court for leave to appeal a decision from the Alberta Court of Appeal. That decision, which was released last month, upheld a lower court ruling that allowed Kelly Johnson to move her husband's remains.

I think the mother of the deceased has every right in the world and the only person stirring up shit seems to be you. :roll:

dino_bobba_renno @ Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Streaker Streaker:

8O ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL OMG, who would want to get in the middle of that? For the first time in my life I actually feel sorry for the Supreme Court.

PJB @ Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Wada Wada:
Not sure of your intention but technically your in the same boat as these people you rail against. :roll:

What????!!! These people are going against the wishes of the widow. Who is any closer and more aware of the wishes of someone other than the one that he/she shares his/her life with.

herbie @ Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:06 pm

....sound of Solomon sharpening the sword.....

Public_Domain @ Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:11 pm

I agree with Lily.

I do want him int he RCMP graveyard though, to be honoured as a police officer protecting the people.

Donny_Brasco @ Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:41 pm

lily lily:
It's the widow's decision... period.

If I marry an American please let her know I'd rather be buried in Canada so I can be close you SoB's.

Public_Domain @ Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Donny_Brasco Donny_Brasco:
lily lily:

If I marry an American please let her know I'd rather be buried in Canada so I can be close you SoB's.

No one other then the family should decide where he is buried. Not you, not me, Not the RCMP group, and not the Metis Council. Options are laid out.

(Unless it said other in his will) His wife deserves to say where he shall go.

Tracker @ Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:18 pm

lily lily:

He wanted to be buried in Lac La Biche. It was his home. The widow doesn't even live in Saskatchewan, none of his family does. I think his wife is cruel.

Wally_Sconce @ Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:18 pm

Who is the deserving benefactor of his estate? I would think that person has been trusted with than just the burial arangements of his remains.

shadowfax @ Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 pm

Streaker Streaker:

----------------------------------

So the Métis National Council buys an ad in some papers. Big deal. :|

nice and also a universal truth .. thanks for this