Canada Kicks Ass
Tintin in America pulled by Winnipeg Public Library

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:41 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/tinti ... -1.3000451

$1:
Controversy in Winnipeg over Tintin in America, a 1930s comic by the Belgian cartoonist Hergé, has spread to the city's library system, which has decided to remove the book from circulation for review.

On the weekend a Chapters store in the city had removed copies of the title from its shelves following a complaint, but then restored them after determining the work did not violate its policies.

An email obtained by CBC News that was sent to all 20 library branches on Tuesday stated: "The decision to withdraw this title was originally made in 2006 after several patron complaints about the content being offensive. The complaints were reviewed by the Youth Services Librarians at the time and the decision was made to remove it from the public collections based on overtly stereotypical and racist depictions of indigenous people."

Tintin in America
The cover image of Tintin in America is drawing complaints over its falsely stereotyped depiction of aboriginal people.

Over the weekend, a First Nations teacher asked Chapters at Polo Festival to remove the book, saying it perpetuated harmful narratives and racist images.

Jabberwalker @ Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:47 pm

Aboriginal people are reading a lot of Tintin?

Really?

I think that Asterix the Gaul should be pulled as well because it (sometimes) portrays Celts in a less a than positive light.

...makes us look kinda ...

stoopid ...

BeaverFever @ Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:58 pm

I read all the Tintin books as a kid. IIRC Tintin in America was one of the first and later in his career, Herge began to lament some if the racist depictions of his earlier work...hence Land if The Blue Lotus where Tintin goes to China, dispels racist myths about the Chinese and beats up some overbearing White racists (all while foiling an opium smuggling ring run by his criminal arch nemesis, Rastapopoulos). The Japanese don't receive a kind treatment in that one however!!

BeaverFever @ Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:39 pm

There's even a Top 10 racist Tintin on Buzz Feed if you can believe

http://top10buzz.com/top-10-racist-mome ... in-comics/

All we can say is that he was a man of his time and he grew as a human and learned as he aged (sorta)

herbie @ Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:55 pm

Europeans....
Tintin book was from 1930 so it could be used to point out racism of the era. Howeverm they haven't changed at all.
When we moved north we got a postcard from relatives in Scotland telling us we were brave to move up with the "wild Indians". My ex's Scot family were the most racist people I ever met.

martin14 @ Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:45 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
Aboriginal people are reading a lot of Tintin?

Really?

Ummmm, no.
Some hipster white apologist kids opened the book by accident, and then after giggling
about it, got all offended on behalf of the FNs.

Nice to see the tolerant left at it's best, they could at least burn the books
in public like the before times.

Where they burn books, soon they burn people.

$1:
I think that Asterix the Gaul should be pulled as well because it (sometimes) portrays Celts in a less a than positive light.

...makes us look kinda ...

stoopid ...

And the Romans, don't forget the Romans.

Isn't it strange that Italy doesn't send reps around the world, burning Tintin books everywhere,

launching protests for daring to show the Romans in a poor way.

Now, why doesn't that happen ?

Thanos @ Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:57 pm

I doubt it was any of the kids that did this. It was more likely to be some faculty member or teaching assistant on the Perpetual Outrage Committee at the nearest university that went around looking for things to pick a fight over. I'm not surprised at Chapters caving in because they've always been a bunch of typical corporate cowards. The public library not standing up for what should be the very basis of their mandate is very disturbing though. They must be genuinely terrified of Derek Nepinak and his bozos showing up to protest because those assholes seem to never lose.

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:21 am

The story.....read it....says a native teacher was the person to initially complain about Polo Park Chapters. They decided, 'Screw it, it doesn't violate our policy.'

OnTheIce @ Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:32 am

Considering the literacy rates in Native communities, me thinks their focus is on the wrong thing.

It's hard to be offended by something you can't read or understand.

DrCaleb @ Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:40 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Considering the literacy rates in Native communities, me thinks their focus is on the wrong thing.

jawdown.gif
jawdown.gif [ 893 Bytes | Viewed 692 times ]

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:42 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

pictures

OnTheIce @ Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:51 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

pictures

Let's not worry about the rampant drug use, alcoholism, corruption, fraud or poor literacy rates, let's focus on being offended by yet another kids book....or maybe the name of the sports team?

It's done so much to improve the lives of Natives everywhere. :roll:

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:00 am

Change will never happen so long as they refuse to change. Motivation can't be taught. It has to come from within.

stratos @ Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:41 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
There's even a Top 10 racist Tintin on Buzz Feed if you can believe

http://top10buzz.com/top-10-racist-mome ... in-comics/

All we can say is that he was a man of his time and he grew as a human and learned as he aged (sorta)

Thanks for the link. I never have read Tintin so had no idea how racist it was. Then again most in that era were of like mind I assume. Good to hear that as he got older he started to change his mind set.

BeaverFever @ Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 am

For the record, Herge, who lived and worked in Nazi-occupied Belgium was also accused of being a Nazi collaborator and was actually arrested for it after the war on 4 different occasions and was blacklisted for a period.

But this seems to simply be on the basis that the newspaper he worked for was taken over by Nazi. Ultimately, the charges against him were dismissed.