Canada Kicks Ass
What about the blockades....

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

saga @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:52 pm

Virgil Virgil:
Now I do have to point something out regarding this debate, I am unsure whether the Six Nations as a Nation still exists. So when someone in this room refers to the S"Six Nations" it should be assumed that they are speaking of people from the Ontario Mohawk reserve called "Six Nations" and are not refering to all of the Iroquois people, since it doesn't seem to me that the Seneca and who else have had anything to do with the blockades.

At the Six Nations reseve itself, there are members of all six Indigenous nations, but most are Mohawk. In the Haudenosaunee (Six Nations, Iroquois) Confederacy, which spans the US border and includes Six Nations, Akwesasne, and some New York state tribes, there are also all six.

All are at the site on a rotating basis.
There has been no blockade since May 23.
The police frequently have to set up a police line to prevent some unruly Caledonians from making fools of themselves by 'attacking' Six Nations. They settle for screeching racial slurs instead.

I think the issue of blockades has become moot because the government can't stop them. Six Nations has found the winning formula: The Clan Mothers are incharge, because they are the titleholders. There are no firearms allowed, by their order. Since they can't shoot unarmed women and men, the automatic weapons the police carry are useless. Without shooting unarmed women and men, the options for their removal are quite limited. With the communication available to them today, any threat - like a police buildup, aerial surveillance, etc. - is met by an influx of supporters from near and far, Indigenous people AND Canadians (like me). The police are simply outnumbered and their weapons are useless. It took five police officers to get one Indigenous grandmother down. It would take a ten to one ratio to even consider trying to remove them, and I doubt it would work anyway. There are 11,000 adults at Six Nations alone. From another thread on here, I have learned that Canada's troops are not numerous enough for this task either.

Until the government gets its act together and creates a good faith process and acknowledges the global picture of land claims across the country, blockades will be our way of life.

It is quite appalling that Canada prefers to victimize Canadian communities and the police by putting them in these unfortunate situations, rather than dealing proactively with its obligations under the law.

Peacemaker @ Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:19 am

Saga I agree this blockade is only the start of more to come less the Government starts to shape up and get these Land Claims looked at with a bit more interest and concern.
I recall Northern Ontario past Sudbury where Prospectors could not stake any claim cause of a Lands Caution in effect cause of Native dispute over huge amounts of land.
It took over 10 years to settle that problem and now new Mines are being found were they would have been now 20 years ago.

Hey the Canadian Politics

PeaceMaker....

SprCForr @ Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:26 pm

Saga will not be back to respond.

Protip: Check the profile of the poster you're responding to in a necro thread to ensure they're even active before addressing.

KetchupJoe @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 pm

We'll blockade anything we want. We're blameless. Too bad, Whitey.

BartSimpson @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:47 pm

KetchupJoe KetchupJoe:

And we'll just screw you all the more. We're feckless. Too bad, Injun. :wink:

Mustang1 @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:54 pm

KetchupJoe KetchupJoe:

You blockade because that's all you can do. I notice you don't openly confront our armed forces.

KetchupJoe @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:04 pm

Because they're pussies. We're Warriors.

Mustang1 @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:10 pm

KetchupJoe KetchupJoe:

They're soldiers and you're all talk. Those "warriors" are so brave standing behind barricades while being protected by the White Man's laws. They make a lot of noise, but i'll bet a local detachment of cops could whomp their asses

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:10 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
KetchupJoe KetchupJoe:

You blockade because that's all you can do. I notice you don't openly confront our armed forces.

I notice our armed forces don't openly confront us either. If we are so wrong and you are so right you'd think you would have the tools to solve the problem.

Mustang1 @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Donny_Brasco Donny_Brasco:
Mustang1 Mustang1:
KetchupJoe KetchupJoe:

I notice our armed forces don't openly confront us either. If we are so wrong and you are so right you'd think you would have the tools to solve the problem.

Actually, that's because they respect the law. It's the one thing standing between the "warriors" and a butt kicking by the police

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:13 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
KetchupJoe KetchupJoe:

They're soldiers and you're all talk. Those "warriors" are so brave standing behind barricades while being protected by the White Man's laws. They make a lot of noise, but i'll bet a local detachment of cops could whomp their asses

Ya, with donuts.

Mustang1 @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:14 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
KetchupJoe KetchupJoe:

Ya, with donuts.

Whatever works.

Zipperfish @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:15 pm

I heard that the Lakota Nation recently seceded from the US. That should be inetresting. Past history indicates that the US reacts negatively to secession.

It's a little silly to think that any First Nation in Canada would present any kind of military threat to Canada. Blockades are propaganda exercises to win bring attention to issues and win support, not military confrontations. To that end, some blockades have been successful.

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:16 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
Mustang1 Mustang1:
KetchupJoe KetchupJoe:

Actually, that's because they respect the law. It's the one thing standing between the "warriors" and a butt kicking by the police

Seems like if the indians were in the wrong and the cops were in the right they could go in shooting, beating and tazering indians - men, women and children alike - and be within the law.

Guess that means the land is theirs afterall.

KetchupJoe @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Huzzah!

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next