Canada Kicks Ass
Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

Previous  1 ... 8  9  10  11  12  13  Next

Tricks @ Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Mowich Mowich:
Tricks Tricks:
We've done outstanding, don't see how anyone can be disappointed in our performance at the games.

Couldn't agree more, Tricks. Currently we sit second in the overall medal count - SECOND for pete's sake. Sure we were blown out in hockey and curling but in the other events our Canadian teams have done our country proud.

And I think it might show that curling and hockey aren't our only events, and we will hopefully get more support for the others.

martin14 @ Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:58 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
If it makes you feel better, we beat the Germans at their national sport two-for-one in the 20th Century.

What national sport, invading France ? :lol:

I'm fine, I said when this men's hockey team was announced it would not be the best we have.
Hockey Canada had 2 years to get ready, and we can see the result.
There are questions that Hockey Canada should answer, though.

With the women's hockey, the Americans have spent a lot of money getting a fairly
professional league together for women, while we have sat on our laurels
and treated women's hockey a bit better than a beer league.

Either we get more serious about it, or we should send our girls to the US leagues,
like every other country send their best players to us. And then hope it works.

As far as curling goes, as Mowich said, many if not most coaches of the other teams
at this Olympics were Canadians. Read into that what you will.

I read the selection procedure of the teams to go to the Olympics was different than usual.
Suffice it to say that whoever picked Koe and Homan should be immediately fired. :)

Hyack @ Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:34 am

Kim Boutin named Canada's flag-bearer for closing ceremony
Short track speed skater won 3 medals in Olympic debut

$1:
Short track speed skater Kim Boutin was named Canada's flag-bearer for the closing ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

Boutin won three medals in her Olympic debut, including bronze in the 500 and 1,500-metres and silver in the 1,000.
Kim Boutin shatters own expectations with 3rd Olympic medal

The 23-year-old from Sherbrooke, Que., was the target of online abuse following her 500 bronze from fans of South Korean skater Choi Min-jeong. Choi originally finished with silver but was disqualified, bumping Boutin up to bronze. Some South Korean fans blamed Boutin.

Canada has won 28 medals so far in these Games, the most ever by the country's athletes at a Winter Games. That includes 11 gold medals. Canada also reached the 500-medal mark at both Summer and Winter Games after Sébastien Toutant earned big air gold.

The ice dance duo of Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir carried the flag in the opening ceremony on Feb. 9.

Here are some of Canada's past Winter Games closing ceremony flag-bearers:

Sochi 2014: Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse, bobsleigh.
Vancouver 2010: Joannie Rochette, figure skating.
Torino 2006: Cindy Klassen, speed skating.
Salt Lake City 2002: Jamie Salé and David Pelletier, figure skating.
Nagano 1998: Catriona Le May Doan, speed skating.
Lillehammer 1994: Myriam Bedard, biathlon.
Albertville 1992: Nathalie Lambert, short track speed skating.
Calgary 1988: Karen Percy, alpine skiing.

Jabberwalker @ Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:40 am

Mowich Mowich:
Hyack Hyack:
Canada's Toutant wins gold in 1st Olympic men's snowboard big air final

$1:
Canada's Sebastien Toutant has won gold in men's big air at the Pyeongchang Winter Games.

The 25-year-old from L'Assomption, Que., scored 84.75 points on his first run and 89.50 on his second for a combined 174.25 points. Toutant didn't land his final run, but he didn't need to.

In big air, each rider gets three runs with the points from their top two combined for a total score. Jumps are judged based on difficu hilty and execution — including amplitude and landing.

Kyle Mack of the United States won silver while Britain's Billy Morgan took bronze.

Max Parrot of Bromont, Que., who won silver in slopestyle last week, finished ninth with 117.75 while Regina's Mark McMorris, the slopestyle bronze medallist, was 10th after struggling to land his first two jumps.

Big air was making its Olympic debut.

I just love those sweaters - they rock.

Those sweaters are high tech jackets with a sweater design printed on them. We we wondering last night where we can buy them (The Bay?)

Tricks @ Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:04 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

Those sweaters are high tech jackets with a sweater design printed on them. We we wondering last night where we can buy them (The Bay?)

Not for sale, at least not yet.

Mowich @ Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:38 am

Team USA won the Gold Medal game in the curling event. I am really happy for John and the guys. I've watched the team play in many events over the years and have seen them evolve from slightly pudgy and rather testy guys into the solid team they are today. Beating the powerhouse of team of Nikki Edin was no small feat. Tyler George, John's second was lights out in so many of the draws and a huge asset to John and the team.

Well done Team USA

Hyack @ Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Team Canada wins men’s hockey bronze in PyeongChang

$1:
Team Canada has won a medal in men’s ice hockey for a third straight Olympic Winter Games.

Canada defeated the Czech Republic 6-4 in Saturday’s bronze medal game at Gangneung Hockey Centre. The victory gives Canada a medal in men’s ice hockey in four of the past five Games.

Andrew Ebbett and Chris Kelly each scored a pair of goals in Canada’s final game of PyeongChang 2018 while Derek Roy and Wojtek Wolski added singles. Kevin Poulin picked up the win in net.

Canada opened the scoring on a power play at 11:03 of the first period. Mat Robinson was in the circle and fired a low wrist shot that went off some skates and past Czech goaltender Pavel Francouz. Credit for the goal was given to Ebbett.

Just 16 seconds later, the Czechs tied it. After Poulin allowed a big rebound, Roman Cervenka grabbed the puck and shot it towards the goal. Martin Ruzicka was there to slide it in, quickly making it 1-1.

The goals kept coming quickly – 12 seconds after the Czechs tied it up, Canada scored again. A Cody Goloubef point shot was redirected in front by Kelly, putting the Canadians back in front.

Roy gave Canada a 3-1 lead at 15:57. Brandon Kozun made a sweet feed as the two skated towards the net. Roy finished things off, extending Canada’s advantage.

The second period proved to be fairly uneventful in comparison to the first. Canada outshot the Czech Republic 8-5 in the frame, which included killing off a key penalty late in the period to maintain their two-goal lead.

Ebbett scored his second of the game at 5:50 of the third period to give Canada a 4-1 lead. Kozun was on the goal line and sent a hard pass into the crease area where Ebbett redirected the puck upstairs and past Francouz. The Czechs quickly responded at 6:36 when Jan Kovar grabbed a loose puck in the slot and beat Poulin with a wrist shot, making it a two-goal game once again.

At 9:37, Kelly restored Canada’s three-goal lead, netting his second of the match by ripping a shot past Francouz’s blocker and off the post and in. The Czechs, again, responded quickly with Martin Erat scoring at 10:49 – but Canada challenged, and the goal was called off due to goaltender interference.

With 4:37 to play, Canada put one more goal on the board when Wojtek Wolski jammed in a loose puck in front. But the Czechs got that one back just a minute later, when Roman Cervenka batted one in. It was reviewed for a high stick, but the goal stuck, making it a 6-3 game.

After Canada took a penalty for too many men on the ice, Cervenka snapped one in from the left side, cutting the lead to 6-4 with just over two minutes left in regulation. But that would be as close as they got.

Team Canada leaves PyeongChang with a 3-1-1 overall record. The team lost in a shootout to the Czechs in the preliminary round but avenged that loss on Saturday. Germany, who defeated Canada in Friday’s semifinal, will face the Olympic Athletes from Russia in Sunday’s gold medal game.

Sunnyways @ Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:04 am

Something Norwegians feel concerned about - too much winning:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/24/spor ... orway.html

I guess we've seen similar worries over women's hockey finals being restricted to North America. The Norwegians aren't just cross country skiers these days - they excel in skating as well and they've made dramatic inroads into downhill skiing over the last few decades with their own 'winning ugly' style. Cross country happens to be one of the healthiest sports on the planet and anywhere cold enough should be encouraging it irrespective of the Olympic aspect. Talking of health, I must say I wasn't too impressed by Brule's hit on Wolf in the hockey semis. Nasty.

We've seen a profusion of new events in the Olympics. For the winter version, I would still look to downhill and figure skating as key competitions like track and field in the summer. One could argue that ice dancing does not make it into that elite group but Virtue and Moir's skating was one of my favourite moments in the Games and their appearance in the gala to the music of the Hip was a high point for me: athletic, graceful and poignant.

martin14 @ Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:38 am

If you get a chance to watch the men's final, do it.

One of the best hockey games ever.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:29 am

Well.... here are my thoughts on the Olympics this time around.

PROS

- Canada finished with a record number of medals. :rock:
- Canada finished ahead of the USA in the medal count. :rock:
- Korea did an excellent job hosting the event.
- It was kind of neat to see Norway at the top of the standings.

CONS

- No NHLers in the men's hockey made me uninterested in the hockey for the first time in an Olympics, as I always watch most of the tournament.
- Canada's athletes STILL underachieved, and the consensus all over social media is "well, at least they tried, and/or got to the Olympics. Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing. If we are not going there to win, then what the hell is the point?
- What happened to our curling and bobsled teams???
- Russian athletes should have been banned COMPLETELY. The IOC is a spineless joke.
- X-Games style sports should stay in the X-Games. I guess you have to be in your teens to appreciate them fully.

-J.

Mowich @ Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:56 am

martin14 martin14:
If you get a chance to watch the men's final, do it.

One of the best hockey games ever.

What a great hockey game, martin. While the media had all but crowned the OAR with the Gold medal prior to the start of the game, Team Germany had other ideas and gave it everything they had.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Those Germans sure seem to do well in the bum-sliding events. You know, like luge or bobsled.

They seem to be genetically predisposed to bum-sliding like those Africans from some country in Africa I forget with their long-distance running.

Tricks @ Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:56 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
- Canada's athletes STILL underachieved, and the consensus all over social media is "well, at least they tried, and/or got to the Olympics. Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing. If we are not going there to win, then what the hell is the point?
We got a record medal count. If that is under achieving I'd love to see the critic's perfect lives.
$1:
Pressure happened. A family member is very high up in Curling Canada. He was in Korea for the games and was approached by the teams apologizing to him for disappointing Canada. That's not the way we should be receiving them for going out and playing their best. You don't deserve a winning team if you shit on them when they lose.

$1:
- X-Games style sports should stay in the X-Games. I guess you have to be in your teens to appreciate them fully.

-J.

The X-Games style sports are the only entertaining thing outside of hockey and curling as far as I'm concerned. people are giving less of a shit about figure skating and speed skating. Just like 100m dash and a marathon. They're boring. The only downside to them is that they are subjectively rated.

martin14 @ Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Tricks Tricks:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Pressure happened. A family member is very high up in Curling Canada. He was in Korea for the games and was approached by the teams apologizing to him for disappointing Canada. That's not the way we should be receiving them for going out and playing their best. You don't deserve a winning team if you shit on them when they lose.

The media reported the selection procedure for the curling teams was changed between
Sochi and Korea.
Whatever changes were made should be undone, because both teams sucked right from the beginning.

Hopefully Curling Canada will just own up to it and make the changes.

Hyack @ Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:58 pm

martin14 martin14:

The media reported the selection procedure for the curling teams was changed between
Sochi and Korea.
Whatever changes were made should be undone, because both teams sucked right from the beginning.

Hopefully Curling Canada will just own up to it and make the changes.

Something was definitely off with both teams, right from the gitgo, so yeah, something has to be done, or undone, before the next selection of Canadian teams for Beijing 2022.

Previous  1 ... 8  9  10  11  12  13  Next