Canada Kicks Ass
HAS HUDAK JUST SHOT HIMSELF IN THE FOOT?

Previous  1  2

redhatmamma @ Sat May 10, 2014 9:22 am

He's right about the need to cut jobs as the Liberals added 300,000 civil service jobs. However, cuts need to be done gradually by attrition and retirement.

He would be better to address the high cost of hydro, put a moratorium on wind turbines and cut out the subsidies.

Oakville Hydro and other utilities such as Toronto Hydro are distributors of electricity, do they not have any other distributors in Quebec at all? Does Quebec Hydro look after all the big cities too?

Jabberwalker @ Sat May 10, 2014 10:35 am

redhatmamma redhatmamma:
He's right about the need to cut jobs as the Liberals added 300,000 civil service jobs. However, cuts need to be done gradually by attrition and retirement.

He would be better to address the high cost of hydro, put a moratorium on wind turbines and cut out the subsidies.

Oakville Hydro and other utilities such as Toronto Hydro are distributors of electricity, do they not have any other distributors in Quebec at all? Does Quebec Hydro look after all the big cities too?

No, Quebec gets by just without that extra layer of billing. It is unnecessary and it is a glaring Ontario bit of stupid. You don't need separate entities to distribute the electricity that has been distributed to them. Duh.

BTW. whenever there is a town event going on, Oakville Hydro has the really cool give-aways. We have all sorts of Oakville Hydro gear around ... various types of flashlights, my kids EACH have VERY GOOD QUALITY Oakville Hydro basketballs that they've accumulated. Not only are they an extra toll booth along the way of electricity delivery, they are flush with cash. It's like the Brewer's Retail scam ... Ontario just doesn't get it, sometimes. Rip-off central.

redhatmamma @ Sun May 11, 2014 12:45 pm

I don't know the reasoning behind the separate utilities to distribute electricity would be interesting to know.

Hudak should be able to win this, we'll see. Wynne is doing a good job of deflecting the issues away from her and the party by the classic move of picking a fight with the feds. The feds should not have obliged her. :D

saturn_656 @ Sun May 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
No, Quebec gets by just without that extra layer of billing. It is unnecessary and it is a glaring Ontario bit of stupid. You don't need separate entities to distribute the electricity that has been distributed to them. Duh.

Just think of all the extra positions that pay 100,000 plus per year that were created when they turned one crown corporation into five.

Makes me want to vomit.

Jabberwalker @ Sun May 11, 2014 4:12 pm

saturn_656 saturn_656:

Just think of all the extra positions that pay 100,000 plus per year that were created when they turned one crown corporation into five.

Makes me want to vomit.

I can tell you for certain that back when they forced hospitals into super-administrations like William Osler, Halton Healthcare, etc. the total number of administrative positions WENT UP not downs as one would expect from sharing resources. The people charged with making cuts are the very same ones that want to hang on to/build their empires. Beds were eliminated to build more office space. The civil service cannot be trusted to find efficiencies. It runs against the raison d'etre of their senior management.

Take a look at Ontario's "sunshine list" (public service salaries over $100,000) It's huge! THAT will make you vomit. The rate payers in this province are a bunch of patsies.

OnTheIce @ Mon May 12, 2014 8:18 am

Hudak needs to keep up the work. Despite the fact that he's got the personality of a walnut, he's heading into majority territory.

Keep it going, Tim. Anyone buy Wynne!

BeaverFever @ Mon May 12, 2014 9:27 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:

Makes me want to vomit.

That was a Mike Harris move, by the way....back when he broke up Ontario Hydro.

BeaverFever @ Mon May 12, 2014 9:42 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:

Makes me want to vomit.

I can tell you for certain that back when they forced hospitals into super-administrations like William Osler, Halton Healthcare, etc. the total number of administrative positions WENT UP not downs as one would expect from sharing resources. The people charged with making cuts are the very same ones that want to hang on to/build their empires. Beds were eliminated to build more office space. The civil service cannot be trusted to find efficiencies. It runs against the raison d'etre of their senior management.

Take a look at Ontario's "sunshine list" (public service salaries over $100,000) It's huge! THAT will make you vomit. The rate payers in this province are a bunch of patsies.

Sunshit list is a meaningless joke.

1) Since it was first introduced in 1996, it has not been adjusted for inflation - $100,000 in 1996 is equal to $137,840 in todays dollars. To put this another way, $100,000 today buys what $67,351.49 bought in 1996. So someone who got a job in 1996 at $67k and only received cost of living increases is on the sunshine list today because he now earns $100k. Fully 75% of the people on the current list wouldn't even be on there if it had been adjusted to inflation.

2) Inreasingly, the list comprises of employees with regular base salary but high overtime - TTC, Police, Fire, etc. Starving public insitutions of regular funding means they can't hire permanently to meet their needs so have 'permanent overtime' staffing and that's why you have cops and firefighters and bus drivers taking in over $100k a year.

Jabberwalker @ Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
saturn_656 saturn_656:

Makes me want to vomit.

That was a Mike Harris move, by the way....back when he broke up Ontario Hydro.

I do recall that and the Liberals have had years to fix any problems like that but ... nothing.

Jabberwalker @ Mon May 12, 2014 10:23 am

Sunshit list is a meaningless joke.

1) Since it was first introduced in 1996, it has not been adjusted for inflation - $100,000 in 1996 is equal to $137,840 in todays dollars. To put this another way, $100,000 today buys what $67,351.49 bought in 1996. So someone who got a job in 1996 at $67k and only received cost of living increases is on the sunshine list today because he now earns $100k. Fully 75% of the people on the current list wouldn't even be on there if it had been adjusted to inflation.

2) Inreasingly, the list comprises of employees with regular base salary but high overtime - TTC, Police, Fire, etc. Starving public insitutions of regular funding means they can't hire permanently to meet their needs so have 'permanent overtime' staffing and that's why you have cops and firefighters and bus drivers taking in over $100k a year.

Actually, it's not because with each and every public employee like that comes massive pension liability. It will cost more to carry all of those retired high rollers than to run the rest of government. Pension liabilities are driving cities (like Detroit) into bankruptcy as we speak. The taxpayers will get stuck paying for goodies that very few of them will ever have access to, themselves.

BeaverFever @ Mon May 12, 2014 10:48 am

Well I would argue the Detoit's problems run far deeper - the city has been rotting from the inside out for decades due to "rust-belt" and "white flight" phenomena, unchecked suburban development, etc. But I digress.

You may have a point that permanent overtime is still cheaper than hiring new workers, but you can't have it both ways now can you? What do you propose? Cops work for free?

Previous  1  2