Canada Kicks Ass
I'm Moving to Toronto from Phoenix AZ - questions

1  2  3  Next

Vinchent @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm a Canadian that's been stuck in Phoenix AZ for quite some time due to school and trying to start my career. I've realized that their is simply no way for me to tolerate these people here in the Phoenix anymore. Especially in the work place... very bad experiences dealing with people of super low standards in positions above me or as my clients.

I'm hoping to bail out of here by the end of this year... trying to shoot for October.

I'm wondering what the artist and design culture is like in Toronto and what are my chance of finding a reliable job in Graphic Design there at the rate of 40k/year?

I have about three years of experience working as a freelancer and some contracting for ad agencies, etc here.

I'd rather shoot myself that continue here like this. Have resorted to working in sales due to frustration with these shotty poser people of Phoenix. Haven't found one honest person here yet that lives up to their claims of grandeur... just absolutely pathetic!

Again, my question is What the artist and design culture is like in Toronto and what are my chance of finding a reliable job in Graphic Design there at the rate of 40k/year or more quickly?

jeff744 @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Vancouver is better for anything computer software related, they are tech central.

RUEZ @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:13 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
Vancouver is better for anything computer software related, they are tech central.

I'm pretty sure Toronto has it's fair share of design firms. He might be able to afford a place to live in Toronto as well.

DanSC @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Vinchent Vinchent:
I'd rather shoot myself that continue here like this.

That seems extreme. Shooting yourself is very painful indeed.

Lemmy @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:23 pm

If you're only making $40K/year in Toronto you'll be living in your car.

RUEZ @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
If you're only making $40K/year in Toronto you'll be living in your car.

Nobody in Toronto makes $40k per year?

Lemmy @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Yeah, all the people who live in their cars.

RUEZ @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Yeah, all the people who live in their cars.

I'm gonna go ahead and say you exagerating a bit.

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:41 pm

those who serve coffee and doughnuts?

Unsound @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm sure some of them live in shitty apartments in shitty neighbourhoods where they only get shot at with registered guns.

Brenda @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:43 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
those who serve coffee and doughnuts?

Or work in retail. Apparently, they all live in cars.

Thanos @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Regardless of any of that stuff it's still nice to see someone escaping back home from that gulag Sheriff Joe set up in Maricopa County. And Sarah Palin's moving there too at the same time this dude is leaving, which means he's not going to be afflicted by the collective county-wide IQ drop (like it could get much lower anyway) when the Quittah From Wasilla arrives.

Arizona = America's very own Belarus.

Lemmy @ Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Toronto is an expensive place to dwell.

andyt @ Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:22 am

Have you been to Tucson? Quite a different attitude, to the point they're talking about seceding from AZ. And Flagstaff is real nice, but probably not much work for you there. But my experience in the States is all pre 9/11, and things have really changed since then down there - don't blame you for wanting to come back home.

Since you seem to have a green card, what about NYC, since you seem to like the big cities?

PostFactum @ Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:50 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
jeff744 jeff744:

I'm pretty sure Toronto has it's fair share of design firms. He might be able to afford a place to live in Toronto as well.

Every big city is.

1  2  3  Next