Canada Kicks Ass
Niagara Wine Festival

1  2  3  Next

kitty @ Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:14 am

The Niagara Wine Festival runs from Sept 21 to Sept 30 and is a highly anticipated and enjoyable event.

i highly reccommend buying the discovery pass and doing a little research before going out without a plan because there really is so much to see and do.

i went this past Sunday and plan another trip this Sunday. The criteria we used for choosing the wineries that we visited... who was serving the best food :D

Our first stop The Legends Estate Winery
It was a beautiful vineyard right on the banks of lake Ontario. The Pinot Noir-Mariafelt '04 was my favourite.

Our next stop was Feilding Estate Winery.
This one was a little more upscale but also offered delicious wines. My favourite again was the Pinot Noir '06.

This is what i affectionately called "the adult happy meal". The served a yummy snack to compliment the wine.

Our third stop was Inniskillin Estate Winery. They were the most fun providing guided tours of their cellars. They have a gorgeous vineyard right on the banks of the Niagara River. my favourite wine here was the Founder's Merlot '04.

Their "happy meal" was quite enjoyable too

We ended our day at Montebello Park in St. Catharines where we enjoyed a bottle of Jackson-Triggs and some great entertainment. The park was not included in our discovery pass but came highly recommended so we included it in our plans.

This is definately a do not miss if you enjoy good wine or a great way to explore a beautiful element of the Niagara region.

Wines of Ontario

Grape and Wine Festival

Brenda @ Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:20 am

What a beautiful pictures, Kitty!

Sounds like a GREAT way to spend your day :P

Regina @ Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:22 am

All that would be worth another notch on the belt. YUMMY!

kitty @ Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:06 pm

WDHIII WDHIII:
Im not the biggest wino aficionado but Id go for the company :wink:

well you would be the perfect date... the designated driver! Wanna come with on Sunday?
(hell of a drive though :wink: )

BluesBud @ Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:37 pm

Have a great time kitty. Looks like a wonderful road trip. I am tempted to go myself but I am working this weekend.

DO have a designated driver though. That way you can fully enjoy yourself without worry. We would like a post trip report please. I might make the trip next year.

TheBigGuy @ Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:43 am

Triggs also makes a great Whiskey " Barrel Select" oe of my favs

kitty @ Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:20 am

We're leaving in 10 minutes.... if you wanna come, meet us at the car.
;)

BluesBud @ Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:20 pm

SO? How was it? Details please! You must have had a great time. Tell us 'bout it!

kitty @ Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:15 pm

We had a wonderful time!

One the way to the first winery of our tour, we stopped at a farmer's market. We purchased some decorative gourds and pumpkins and a few autumn mums. The colours were just beautiful.

Image Image

As we were leaving we noticed the horses in the field, so we walked over to see them better. We called to them and one sauntered over. She was very photogenic and kep turning her head to show us her best side.... the one without the growth.

Image Image

The first winery we stopped at was Hernder Estate. They had my most favourite wine of this tour, the 2002 Baco Noir Reserve. The Old Vines Foch was outstanding too.

Their snack was fresh bread and their own brand of savoury olive oils for dipping.

Hernder is raising money for Cancer Reserach with thier wine PINK
.... gotta love that :wink:

We stopped at another farmers market to buy some fresh produce. The white flesh peaches were delicious ... they never made it home because we ate them in the car. 8)

The last winery on our tour was Stonechurch Vineyards. The 2005 Shiraz was really good and their snacks were yummy too. 8)
We sat at a picnic table in the middle of the vineyard surrounded by fragrant grape vines and you could not help but think that it made the wine taste even better. :wink:

Image Image

We got to tour the vineyard on a golfcart... wow... that was soooo fun. Everything seemed funny, we laughed and laughed. They had some beautiful fruit trees on their property too. We ate so many plums and yellow apples that we thought we would be sick.

We saw their brand new "grape picker and squeezer" and i do believe that is the techincal name for it. :wink:

Image Image

We started our drive back and stopped in Jordan. We poked in and out of a few shops and even did more wine tasting at the Cave Spring Cellars..... meh it was ok. BUT the pumpkin pie walnut fudge that i bought from The Heritage Gift Shop was to die for and yes i bought some for you too.

i can't wait to go back again!

[font=Comic Sans MS]Wine drinkers make grape lovers!

i think thats only funny when you are drinking.
[/font]

:wink:

BluesBud @ Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:29 pm

Great pics! Glad you had a good time kitty. I wanna join you next time.

kitty @ Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:52 pm

The Niagara Wine Festival is on and runs from Sept 19 to Sept 28.

We bought the discovery pass again this year and already visited five wineries [drunk]

The Legends Estate Winery
-They have the best wine and food pairings. They are right on Lake Ontario and the grounds are soooo pretty

Angels Gate
- They have beautiful grounds and a lovely patio. One of my favourites here was the 2007 Late Harvest "Snow Angel". Just a little sweet but sooo yummy

Rosewood Estates Winery & Meadery
- This was really different. The wine is made from honey (mead). They have six apiaries in Beamsville where bees feed on wildflowers, clover and orchards. The honey is then transformed into a pale golden mead that is vintage dated — all the honey is collected within the same calendar year, and each displays differing characteristics.
They have three different ones, the nearly dry Harvest Gold, the sweet and rich Ambrosia and Mon Cherie, a blend of Niagara cherry juice and mead.

Mountain Road Wine
- Definitely not the prettiest winery but one of my favourites this trip. The 2005 Baco Noir is outstanding! (i bought two bottles to take home)

No. 99 Wayne Gretzky's Estates Winery
-Absolutely beautiful! This was my favourite today. They had their wine tasting for the merritage right out from the barrels! It was fun and informative. This was my absolute favourite wine of today Image
Estate No. 99 2006 Meritage is an artful blend of traditional partners Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot.

i am looking forward to next weekend to try out a few more 8)

thirteen31 @ Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:49 am

What amazing pictures. I live just outside of this area of wineries. You've captured them well.

kitty @ Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Indulge your taste buds at the Niagara Wine Festival

The Niagara region, with its myriad of quality conscious wineries, benefits from the heat shield of Lake Ontario and several unique smaller microclimates which foster and nurture vineyards long into the fall.

This year, because the summer lacked sunny days and heat for ripening, the grape crop is a bit behind, just like Ontario fruit and vegetables were in July and August. But with a recent burst of sunny days and a protracted dry spell, the harvest should get under way in fine shape.

September unfolds as a magical time, when winemakers and producers throw open their winery doors to share in the fruits of their labours with wine travellers. Dozens of events have been organized at individual wineries to seduce and charm visitors.

Many of these are part of the 58th Niagara Wine Festival, centred in St. Catharines. It kicks off with the crowning of one local grower as Grape King, then a week of music floods Montebello Park, including Steven Page and Michael Wainwright. A Pied Piper parade for kids marches on Sept. 19 and the annual Grande Parade on Sept. 26 attracts upwards of 200,000 spectators. There's even a half-marathon called the Run for the Grapes that winds through winery country.

However, the only way to really sip wine country is to visit the wineries. During the festival, 20 wineries host harvest events. All you need is a Discovery Pass, or you can pay a nominal fee (usually $10) on site. Because the region is so spread out, here is a partial list of highlights broken down by areas where wineries are clustered. Most of these events take place on the weekends of Sept. 19-20 and Sept. 25-27.

kitty @ Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:59 pm

The Niagara Wine Festival is on again and runs from Sept 19 to Sept 27.

We bought the discovery pass yet again this year and we have already visited five wineries [drunk]

EastDell Estate Winery
~ Located on the famous Beamsville Bench in the heart of the Niagara Peninsula. The main rustic building has an amazing view of lake Ontario and the the Toronto skyline.

not the best picture (taken with my bb) but the colour of the lake was incredible today

~ We tried three wines here:
2008 VQA Riesling paired with lemon herb chicken skewers.
2007 VQA Riesling Icewine paired with homemade lemon tarts
2007 VQA Black Cab (one of my favs) a wonderful marriage of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot

No. 99 Wayne Gretzky's Estates Winery
~ This winery was packed wall to wall today and they were having a No Shoes, No Socks, Great Fun event

The Great Stomp returned for a 2nd year at Wayne Gretzky Estates Winery in Vineland, Ontario this past weekend. Team’s competed by stomping barrels of grapes at the same time raising proceeds for the Ontario Lung Association.

~We tried three wines here too:
2006 Shiraz Cabernet
2007 Merlot
2007 Cabernet Merlot (i bought this one!)

Dan Aykroyd at 20 Bees
i have to say that the visual presentation here was pretty unimpressive... a dressed up trailer in a field.
~At least the wine was good:
2007 Pinot Noir paired with mushroom bruscetta
2005 Vidal Icewine paired with icewine Niagara peaches

Konzelmann Estate Winery
~ An absolutely stunning winery on the shores of Lake Ontario.
~ We tied two wines here:
2007 Heritage - 4th Generation Meritage - MY FAV OF THE DAY i bought this one too [drunk]
2007 Peach Wine - soooo lovely and not too sweet but definitely a dessert wine

Chateau Des Charmes
~ Founded in 1978, Chateau des Charmes is one of the largest family owned wineries in Canada with 279 acres of vineyards dedicated to the production of fine wines, with an emphasis on unique single vineyard bottlings.
~ The tastings here were very unique and informative. We tasted four wines and the taught us the importance of using the right glass with each wine.
2007 Viognier VQA - very light with peach and pineapple aromas
2007 Gewurztraminer VQA - citrus and lychee
2007 Gamay Noir VQA - woodsy and bold
2005 Cabernet Franc VQA -full, bold, woodsy and with almost a cigar scent "very sexy"

commanderkai @ Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:56 pm

I love red wine, I think there was a much smaller wine festival near Windsor that one of my friends was working at. Next year I'm making a visit.

1  2  3  Next